Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is the bump start on the Sol? Does it just allow for a easier start w/out having to totally crank the key forward?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The engineer mentioned something about it in Tony's "maden drive" video

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
maybe this should be moved over to the tech forum?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Bump start as I interpret such things is pushing the car or rolling down a hill with clutch depressed, with shifter in 4 or 5 and then popping the clutch to spin engine. Of course you have to have key switch turned on and you have to have enough juice to the electronics or it won't start. In this context it is usually reserved for diesel tractors whose batteries are dead or dying and for which you don't need elctricity to run engine. Why you would want to do this on a Sol could only be if the battery has run down. UNLESS bump start means something related to chirping the tires and they mean rolling start. Car mags used to report rolling start 1/4 mile or 0-60 times and they would be slower than lockbrakes-revtoredline-dropclutch.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
achieftain said:
Bump start as I interpret such things is pushing the car or rolling down a hill with clutch depressed, with shifter in 4 or 5 and then popping the clutch to spin engine ... Why you would want to do this on a Sol could only be if the battery has run down.
According to SmallDealer, the Owner's manual specifically states that won't work.

Trying to start your vehicle by pushing or pulling it will not work, and it could damage your vehicle.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57615&postcount=1

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bump start is where you just turn the key and release. You don't have to hold there until the engine starts. Just one quick turn of the key and release. I have a 2005 Audi A6 with this feature. It is nice once you get used to it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'mnot sure if that is what he meant...hopefully Tony could help us out if he reads this...or I might just send him a email

·
Registered
177 Posts
SlipSlider said:
The engineer mentioned something about it in Tony's "maden drive" video
I believe he said that you only had to 'bump' the key, as in, turn it to start without holding it in start, and immediately release it back to 'run' and the electronics will start the engine automatically.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks... you beat me by posting 2 minutes before me

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
OK ... now that we know what it is, maybe we can get somebody who already has the car to let us know for certain if that's how it works. Excel ... you out there?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
That would then allow the next move to a pushbutton. Or the dreaded VW version of turn the key to start - it doesn't start - turn key back off and on instead of just turning to start again. For me that is frustrating.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
SlySol said:
OK ... now that we know what it is, maybe we can get somebody who already has the car to let us know for certain if that's how it works. Excel ... you out there?
I will run outside on my break in 45 minutes and try it out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If Pontiac is using the term "bump start" for anything other than popping the clutch while rolling (to get a vehicle started w/ a dead battery), this will only lead to confusion.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have 2005 tacoma and it has this feature, all you do is turn the key gently, and release, in my other cars you have to turn fully until it starts, if you move the key and turn it forward to hard it actually sounds like a car that is already runnung and you turn the key. Takes a little getting used to, but it is o.k.. Not very difficult, I think it is a little easier on the starter. Plus it's another thing to go wrong later that we can pay for to fix.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Same feature on all new Cad's. My STS has it. Just click over the key for a second let go and the car cranks and starts itself. The engineer at the Detroit show was referring to that only, not popping the clutch.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Excelsior, when I drove in Detroit, I turned the key and it didn't start, but I think I caught the needles of the gauges going all the way to other end and returned. Have you noticed that?

It almost seemed if is was testing the needles

·
Registered
182 Posts
Marco said:
Excelsior, when I drove in Detroit, I turned the key and it didn't start, but I think I caught the needles of the gauges going all the way to other end and returned. Have you noticed that?

It almost seemed if is was testing the needles

thats exactly what its doing, the guages will cycle with every ignition to verify that they are functional.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts