Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a burning smell when I'm driving. The hand brake is off so it's not that. When I got home I lifted the hood and couldn't see anything suspicious (no smoke). It smells a bitlike burning rubber. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
936 Posts
oh no fiero!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I noticed a hot smell in mine after I picked it up Monday evening. After some driving the smell went away. I was thinking it was just the paint on the engine, but maybe there is no paint on an aluminum engine. Anyway, I have not smelled anything unusual since then.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

ParTee

Has anyone else noticed this?

Nope, not with mine, now up to 650 kM.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
ParTee said:
What does that mean?
There were historically several cases of Fieros that threw a rod and spewed hot oil on exhaust and allegedly as they say on tv spontaneously burst into flames. Only on 4 cyl and all cars were recalled to have shields installed to prevent the possibility. There may have also been some that caught fire after being involved in high speed crashes, due presumably to same effect. If you find a Fiero without the rcall items installed I am sure GM would still pay for the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
jimmyo said:
I noticed a hot smell in mine after I picked it up Monday evening. After some driving the smell went away. I was thinking it was just the paint on the engine, but maybe there is no paint on an aluminum engine. Anyway, I have not smelled anything unusual since then.

With about 1000 miles on my car the smell of new things "burning in" is deminishing. Hope thats all yours is Partee.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I only have about 150 miles the only smell I have is the new car burn in odor. The paint and stuff when it gets hot.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I get a smell when it's parked in garage after a drive. Smells like just what others said, paint and engine "baking in". Should go away after more miles. I'm not worried.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I had mentioned the odor on my "Eagle" thread. After 3100 miles it has diminished but is still there.

I love the smell of car break in in my garage........its the smell of........Solstice ownership!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Marco said:
I love the smell of car break in in my garage........its the smell of........Solstice ownership!
Apocalypse Now...I love the smell of Napalm in the morning :lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I owned a Fiero and the only recall I'm aware of was from fires begun when
oil leaks droped onto the exhaust from the rear that ran under the engine,
which was the case with the V6. The old Volkswagen Beetles had a problem
with engine fires - a short, hidden rubber gas line connnected the solid lines from the chassis to those on the engine platform. Right underneath that connection was an exhaust pipe. Stupidest piece of "German engineering" I've ever seen. My mother's beetle burned up twice that way. The Feds never recalled that car, although I used to see them on the side of the road with a torched engine compartment many times while driving around. Why the car was never recalled is a complete mystery. My brother mounted a fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell after the secon fire. The car was sold shortly thereafter.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
I get a smell when it's parked in garage after a drive. Smells like just what others said, paint and engine "baking in". Should go away after more miles. I'm not worried.
Same here. I get those smells too.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
There were historically several cases of Fieros that threw a rod and spewed hot oil on exhaust and allegedly as they say on tv spontaneously burst into flames. Only on 4 cyl and all cars were recalled to have shields installed to prevent the possibility. There may have also been some that caught fire after being involved in high speed crashes, due presumably to same effect. If you find a Fiero without the rcall items installed I am sure GM would still pay for the upgrade.
Several cases... :glol:

By 1987, just about one in every 500 Fieros had gone up in flames! :eek: (which were the 1984 models, which had substandard rods supplied by Saginaw that would break, go through the block, cause oil to leak on hot exhaust parts and start the fires.

Saginaw new of the problem, but didn't want to fix it since they claimed over 60% of the rods were NOT Defective. To them, a 40% failure rate sounded pretty good. But, when 2 of every 5 are bad, you have a darn good chance at having a bad one in a 4 cylinder engine!

Eventually (by 1990) all Fieros had been recalled for a Fire prevention campaign. 4 cylinders and V6's. Some vacumn lines were changes/rerouted, some shielding was changed, a rubber gasket beteen the trunk lid and rear window was removed, and a few other items.

Sounds like this Sol is just burning in it's components. Any new car has some funky smells when it is new, as the engine heat burns off whatever is coating the exhaust and some other parts. It's probably no big deal. But if you see smoke, you better get it checked!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fformula88 said:
It's probably no big deal. But if you see smoke, you better get it checked!
Agree, also if he does smell it inside the car while driving, might get that checked out...I only smell stuff when parked and walking in front of car (mostly in garage).

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
The only smoke I get is from tire spin :lol: Actually I had the same smell in my car for awhile until all of the "new" components were treated to a little engine heat. All is well now with over 3k on l my car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts