Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum, and didn't see this, forgiveness if it's a dup post.
The link also has a link to a MX-5 review.......

source:
http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/oct2005/id20051014_315714.htm

OCTOBER 14, 2005
Car Review
By Thane Peterson
Solstice: A Brawny Beauty
Pontiac's sleek ragtop has awesome muscular looks, and it's peppy and exciting to drive. If only I could find room for my attaché case
(Readers' Reviews below)
Editor's Review
The Good Great styling, rock-solid on the road
The Bad Unproven quality, lack of trunk and storage space
The Bottom Line One of the most exciting models from Detroit in years

Anyone who thinks that troubled General Motors (GM ) can't still come up with exciting, inexpensive new models should check out the Pontiac Solstice, which starts at a mere $19,995. There's just one problem: Getting your hands on one. Within 10 days of the car's appearance on NBC's The Apprentice, eager buyers had placed early orders for 7,116 Solstices. That's nearly half this year's expected 15,000 production run, so the car is likely to be in short supply.

Never mind. If your dream is to own a cool, ragtop sportscar with American flair, order one now, even if it means waiting a few months. This heartthrob of a car is designed to compete head-on with Mazda's newly redesigned and comparably priced Miata MX-5. I gave that car my highest rating, five stars (see BW Online, 9/30/05, "The MX-5: A Gripping Experience"). And in the latest issues of Car and Driver and Automobile, the experts at both magazines slightly preferred the Solstice in their preliminary comparison tests.

TURNS MANY HEADS. I'd still give a slight advantage to the MX-5. But the important point isn't that the Solstice is better or worse than the Mazda -- it's different. While the MX-5 is modeled on classic English sportscars, the Solstice is unabashedly American, with muscular good looks that are closer to those of a Chevy Corvette than a classic Jaguar or MG. Which model you prefer will depend on personal taste. (For a look at a number of these models, see BW Online, 6/24/05, "Special Report: Cars for a Midlife Crisis").

In its styling, the Solstice is a knock-your-socks-off car. I've never tested an auto that attracted so much attention. It's only slightly wider and longer than the Miata, but looks bigger and more solid than it is, partly because it comes standard with huge, wide-track all-season tires.

From the front, the Solstice looks hard and hungry, with big oddly shaped headlights, sculpted fenders, and a mouthlike aluminum-colored air intake vent down near pavement level. From the rear, there's a single, big brutal-looking tailpipe and cowlings behind the headrests of each seat that give the rear deck a striking, sculpted look. From the side, it has a long front deck, a squatty cab, and a short trunk that come together in a distinctive profile, especially with the optional 18-inch, five-spoked wheels in polished ($545 extra) or chromed ($795 extra) aluminum.

COMPARISON DRIVE. The Solstice also has some cool design touches. When you push the open-trunk button, for instance, the two little flaps that anchor the back of the convertible top flip up automatically with an audible slingshot sound. When the roof is up, the flaps click into spring-loaded latches in the trunk lid.

The Solstice is a blast to drive, though it doesn't quite match up to the MX-5. I got together with Joseph Freda, the Calicoon (N.Y.) novelist/real estate agent I met while reviewing the MX-5, and we squared my Solstice test car off against his brand-new stick-shift MX-5. As Freda puts it, the Solstice's "ride on the highway felt stable and smooth, more cruiser than tightly strung sports car."

It's quick, with a peppy, high-tech 177-horsepower, four-cylinder engine, but it's a tad slower off the mark than the Mazda and seems to top out a little sooner in each gear. That's largely because the Solstice weighs nearly 400 pounds more than the MX-5. GM kept the price down by not resorting to expensive weight-reduction measures.

SPIFFY INTERIOR. In general, the Mazda has a lighter, refined feel, while the Solstice veers more toward the muscle car end of the spectrum. "The [Solstice's] drivetrain felt coarser than the Miata's [and] the shifter felt clunkier, not as crisp," Freda says.

The Solstice's interior is very clean. This is a "Lutz car" -- one of the hot new models being pushed by industry veteran Bob Lutz, GM's vice-chairman charged with adding pizzazz to the auto maker's lineup (see BW, 7/18/05, "GM's Design Push Picks Up Speed"). As with all Lutz cars, the Solstice's interior is uncomplicated and well made. The seats are more supportive and comfortable than the Miata's, for instance. And good-looking leather upholstery comes at no extra cost.

The Solstice's price remains reasonable even when you add options to the stripped-down $19,995 base model. Basic stuff such as cruise control, fog lamps, power windows and door locks, and keyless remote entry increases the price by just $1,090. Air conditioning costs an extra $960, antilock brakes $400, and a high-end sound system $495. Then again, with the Solstice in short supply, some dealers may try to charge a premium for it.

FLOOR ROOM ONLY. The car's big failing is its lack of storage space. Its tiny trunk is oddly shaped because the gas tank creates a hump in the middle of it. There's room only for small, soft-sided luggage. And when the convertible top is down -- and into the trunk -- a couple of gym bags and an extra pair of shoes fills the trunk. Because the Mazda's top doesn't retract into the trunk, it has more carrying capacity.

The storage situation isn't much better inside the Solstice. It has one small compartment between the seats at the back of the cab and a tiny glove compartment. With the top down, about the only space to stow an attaché case, portable computer, knapsack, or large purse is on the floor on the passenger side. That just isn't very practical.

The Solstice also has a number of smaller design flaws. When you open the doors during a rainstorm, for instance, water drips down the sides of the convertible top onto the seats. On the Miata, a drip edge keeps that from happening.

NEEDS SOME TUCKS. Finally, there's the question of cupholders. The Solstice has three -- but two are between the seats at the back of the passenger compartment, so you have to go into contortions to reach them while driving. The third pops out on the passenger side and is convenient for the driver to use when alone -- but jabs a passenger's leg.

You'll put up with a lot of inconveniences if a sports car looks and drives like a dream -- and this one does -- but the Sostice has a few more drawbacks than necessary.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Wow, a very in-depth and fair review ... but not without flaws:

...The seats are more supportive and comfortable than the Miata's, for instance. And good-looking leather upholstery comes at no extra cost.
Oops! We WISH the leather had been free! :lol:

Other than that nitpick, it might be the most comprehensive Solstice review yet!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It was a decent article. A tab bit picky for me. Somehow I don't care about the small things they mentioned. And if they drove the car for any period of time then they would know that you just learn to live with things like the cupholders. It's a dumb thing to pick on.

Maybe just hearing these things in every review is starting to annoy me.

Another thing I'm getting fed up about is the constant mention of the MX-5 in every review. If I ask you to write me a review of Roast Beef and you say something like "Roast Beef is a good meat, but it's no chicken". Well how exactly does that help me if I don't like chicken and never plan on eating chicken?

Crap, now I’m hungry and I want a sandwich.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SlipSlider said:
It was a decent article. A tab bit picky for me. Somehow I don't care about the small things they mentioned. And if they drove the car for any period of time then they would know that you just learn to live with things like the cupholders. It's a dumb thing to pick on.
Agreed. As I've said before, a sports car is no place for open drinks. I don't know why they even bother with cup holders at all. Not to mention the issue of a manual - not a lot of time to drink in traffic while having to constantly shift, and when not in traffic..... why drive a sports car at all if you're not gonna do so 'spiritedly'? And if you are, you have no time for drinking. Spend some time in Borders or a restaurant if you need a drink that badly then get back on the road refreshed.

And hey, on the bright side, at least they didn't put the cupholder right behind the shifter, like they did in my car. Fortunately I'll never use it so it's irrelevant, but if I were to, it would make shifting nearly impossible. And IIRC, my co-worker's Miata has one in the same spot.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
...I got together with Joseph Freda, the Calicoon (N.Y.) novelist/real estate agent I met while reviewing the MX-5, and we squared my Solstice test car off against his brand-new stick-shift MX-5. As Freda puts it, the Solstice's "ride on the highway felt stable and smooth, more cruiser than tightly strung sports car."
So, when are we going to see the Miata review where a Solstice owner gets to give his opinion? :skep:

That said, I think Mr. Freda gave the Solstice a more useful compliment than he may have intended - I don't know about you, but I'll bet that +90% of Solstice owners will spend 99.8% of there time crusing - where a twitchy track car just gets tiresome :yesnod:

·
Registered
608 Posts
MAKsys said:
So, when are we going to see the Miata review where a Solstice owner gets to give his opinion? :skep:
Maybe after Pontiac delivers 800,000 of them over 16 years? But, if you really want the Solstice to get a fair shake, a reviewer who is also a Miata enthusiast is just about the best you can hope for. Otherwise you get ignorent reviews from folks who just don't understand what the car is about. The Time review comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
Maybe after Pontiac delivers 800,000 of them over 16 years? But, if you really want the Solstice to get a fair shake, a reviewer who is also a Miata enthusiast is just about the best you can hope for. Otherwise you get ignorent reviews from folks who just don't understand what the car is about. The Time review comes to mind.
for one Todd you are spouting those dang worldwide figures again, at the best if the Solstice follows the plans GM set out in the first place you are talking about probably a 16 year run of 320,000...
You have to consider the market here and what it can stand, if you flood the market too soon then demand will drop off fast and the car will go out of production, if you limit the production to less than demand then interest will remain and you can keep selling them for many years.. How many Miatia's/MX-5's has mazda sold in the US in those 16 years Todd? or are you going to keep arguing that same old world wide crap?

·
Registered
608 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
for one Todd you are spouting those dang worldwide figures again...
You completely missed the point. Solstice reviews are being done by Miata enthusiast because Miatas are several fold more likely to already be in a reviewers garage. It's not a conspiracy, they just happen to be a very popular car with auto enthusiasts. For instance, Jean Jennings, the Editor-In-Chief of Automobile Magazine owns a Miata. What do you think the chances are that she would be the most interested in also reviewing the Solstice?

The question is not how many Miatas have been sold in America. It's how many have been purchased by people so enthusiastic about cars, that they write about them for a living?

SkyMan 07 said:
if the Solstice follows the plans GM set out in the first place you are talking about probably a 16 year run of 320,000...
I hope they do. But, for now, there are a few thousand on the road.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
based on your last post and this one then we can assume you are saying anyone that reviews the solstice and does not own a miata is ignorant.......
Can they not own a MR2, or a Z4 or a S2K and understand what the car is about?

·
Registered
608 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
based on your last post and this one then we can assume you are saying anyone that reviews the solstice and does not own a miata is ignorant.......
No, I have no idea how you could assume that. It's not even close to what I said. You are looking for a reason to argue with me over a simple observation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
No, I have no idea how you could assume that. It's not even close to what I said. You are looking for a reason to argue with me over a simple observation. :rolleyes:
maybe it is this what you said...
if you really want the Solstice to get a fair shake, a reviewer who is also a Miata enthusiast is just about the best you can hope forOtherwise you get ignorent reviews from folks who just don't understand what the car is about
and in your other post
Solstice reviews are being done by Miata enthusiast because Miatas are several fold more likely to already be in a reviewers garage. It's not a conspiracy, they just happen to be a very popular car with auto enthusiasts. For instance, Jean Jennings, the Editor-In-Chief of Automobile Magazine owns a Miata. What do you think the chances are that she would be the most interested in also reviewing the Solstice?
i can add two and two together Todd and you are implying the only ones that can fairly review a Solstice are Miatia enthuasts, and anyone else writes a ignorant review.
PS i hope this Avatar does not offend anyone...

·
Registered
130 Posts
O.K. you guys, calm down, already

Today was automotive maintenance day at our house. That is, I had the day off (Veteran's Day) and the wife didn't. So I took her Mazda6 Sport Wagon down to the dealership for it's scheduled maintenance. By the way, this is a GREAT car for the bucks. :thumbs: While waiting for the service, I found myself in the showroom Looking at a new 2006 MX5. They also had 2 2005 MSM's on the floor with huge discounts on them. Outside, there were about 9 or 10 2006 MX5's on the lot. Most sticker prices on them were well over $26,000.

So this young salesman comes up and engages me in small talk and I mention that the styling upgrades this year certainly make the car look less like a bar of soap. I also said that I'm considering a Solstice as a possible purchase. WOW! You'd a thought I'd just pissed on the floor. He goes on this rant about how the Solstice is a piece of crap and that it's a "Frankenstein" car. And I'm thinkin', "Yeah, as a Mazda salesman, I'd be scared as hell about this "monster" that Pontiac created. Wrong approach. By the way, I did sit in it and it is pretty cramped for someone 6', 200lbs. :leaving:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Solstice or Miata......Please, get a Solstice!

The one quote below tells the whole story about how stupid and idiotic the guy giving this review is......

"TURNS MANY HEADS. I'd still give a slight advantage to the MX-5."

As we all know, a bar of soap (MX-5) on the road will not turn your head or mines! :lol: Please, the Miata does not have the "Wow" effect.

Solstice has more Style than the miata will ever have.......

·
Registered
608 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
i can add two and two together Todd and you are implying the only ones that can fairly review a Solstice are Miatia enthuasts, and anyone else writes a ignorant review.
You can add two and two. But you always end up getting five. I really didn't think I was making a controversial statement here. A number of Soltice reviews have been written by Miata enthusiasts. I know it's hard for a Buy-American-First guy like yourself to understand, but Miata enthusiasts are as close as your going to get to Solstice enthusiasts until more people actually get a chance to own one. I'm implying that a person who is a Miata enthusiast is more likely to give the Solstice a fair shake then someone who usually reviews Camrys or F150's. I noted the Time article as an example. That's it. I didn't imply you had to own Miata. I didn't imply no other sports car enthusiast could evaluate the car. I didn't imply anything your funny math has lead you to conclude. Jeeze, every friggin little comment is like a greek battle with you. :banghead:

·
Registered
608 Posts
ntouched said:
As we all know, a bar of soap (MX-5) on the road will not turn your head or mines! :lol: Please, the Miata does not have the "Wow" effect.
Not everyone is looking for the "Wow" effect. Some of us view the "Wow" effect in the same way we view a women who wears to much make-up. She's still very pretty, but a bit overdone.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
You can add two and two. But you always end up getting five. I really didn't think I was making a controversial statement here. A number of Soltice reviews have been written by Miata enthusiasts. I know it's hard for a Buy-American-First guy like yourself to understand, but Miata enthusiasts are as close as your going to get to Solstice enthusiasts until more people actually get a chance to own one. I'm implying that a person who is a Miata enthusiast is more likely to give the Solstice a fair shake then someone who usually reviews Camrys or F150's. I noted the Time article as an example. That's it. I didn't imply you had to own Miata. I didn't imply no other sports car enthusiast could evaluate the car. I didn't imply anything your funny math has lead you to conclude. Jeeze, every friggin little comment is like a greek battle with you. :banghead:
only you make it a battle Todd(maybe you have been banging your head too much LOL)

The only issue I have with you right now Todd is your name calling.

Like you told me one time if you make a statement and I feel you are in error I will call you on it. Besides what ever happened to your statement about not believeing any reviews or reviewers and that your own test drive is the only thing that matters? You seem to be defending a bunch of them lately when they pick the Miata, not like when they pick the Solstice....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Annother opinion?

:(
O K already enough of this we verses them. How about somebody who owns an american sports car doing a comparison for us? I know that at least two or three guys who already own vettes have received thier SOLs by now lets hear what they have to say abought driving a smaller American sports car?
I just hope the Solstice can hang around as long as the Corvette and not be another Fierro! Evolution is what is needed for the future. Let's hope we get it. In the mean time let's relax and enjoy what we already have. :lurk:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
SlipSlider said:

Maybe just hearing these things in every review is starting to annoy me.

Another thing I'm getting fed up about is the constant mention of the MX-5 in every review. If I ask you to write me a review of Roast Beef and you say something like "Roast Beef is a good meat, but it's no chicken". Well how exactly does that help me if I don't like chicken and never plan on eating chicken?

Crap, now I’m hungry and I want a sandwich.
:agree: :agree:

Do us Solstice owners compare our cars to the Miata ? NO, because I love our Solstice it's beautiful. It's the best looking car around by far and no one can convince me other wise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.