Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the uncertainty in the delivery time ( I can't even get a build date, :banghead: apparently)...and the weather getting fantastic...I am considering buying something fun with my down payement and saving up this summer for the down payement again...

THinking a 65/66 mustang :cool: ...around 6k...not too expensive, can resell when sol arrives, or next summer...or just keep it

Anyone else thinking along these lines, or am I just waaay too impatient :willy:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Try a Miata on for size. When I got mine I went through driving shock until I got used to the smaller car and the more responsive steering. The Miata will still give you a good trade in and will prime you for your Solstice.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ex-Miata Man said:
Try a Miata on for size. When I got mine I went through driving shock until I got used to the smaller car and the more responsive steering. The Miata will still give you a good trade in and will prime you for your Solstice.
I am 6'4... am I kinda big for one?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Just wait it out! It'll be that much sweeter once you get it if you wait for it!

Just like you don't eat your dessert before dinner. Don't ruin the feelings you have for this car by trying to cover them up with something else. The Sol will be much more exciting if you DON'T get anything to hold you over.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Chances are production will begin fairly soon. Even if you buy a hold-me-over that you can sell for about the same price, you also would still eat the tax and tag costs for the car, and any other repairs or maintenance it might need.

On the other hand, a classic Mustang sounds fun too.

If you just have to have something now, you could get it and then hold out for the turbo Solstice next year too! :)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm going to have to. Right now we're a one car family. We're moving to Cali in a few weeks, and will need a second car the whole time we're there. I was hoping the Solstice would be in my hands by the time we moved, but alas that was not to be.

I'll probably buy the cheapest beater I can find that won't leave me on the side of the highway. That way I can still save my $$ for the Solstice downpayment.

Might just wind up buying a used motorcycle to hold me over instead... but then I'm afraid I won't want to let it go (and my wife is REALLY afraid of that :glol: )

·
Registered
132 Posts
I will wait for my Solstice. I will admit, though, that there's another little car pulling at me. A 1971 Triumph TR6 is for sale on the front lawn of a house nearby for $11K. Looks very clean as I drive lowly by, but I'm afraid of the outcome if I stop and take a closer look. That's one of the first cars I ever loved and if I could turn my 3-car into a 4-car garage, and get all the junk cleaned out, I'd consider it. I think I have a sudden urge (though not the budget) to become a collector.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2KWK4U said:
I'm going to have to. Right now we're a one car family. We're moving to Cali in a few weeks, and will need a second car the whole time we're there. I was hoping the Solstice would be in my hands by the time we moved, but alas that was not to be.

I'll probably buy the cheapest beater I can find that won't leave me on the side of the highway. That way I can still save my $$ for the Solstice downpayment.

Might just wind up buying a used motorcycle to hold me over instead... but then I'm afraid I won't want to let it go (and my wife is REALLY afraid of that :glol: )
I have a 96 Jetta with fading paint in CA...only 75k...I can let it go real cheap! :lol:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wife could not wait, she wanted a convertable, so this weekend I got her a Sebring LXI 2001 to hold her tell we get our Solstice. Now this does leave me more time to drive the Solstice.

First 1000, Sly, fully load, no smokers package. Just received 7-25 prioduction date from dealer on Saturday. Can only hope.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :willy: :crazy: :willy: :cuss:

Okay, thanks for the thoughts...after a weekend, decided against it...

I just don't have the time to dedicate to a classic that it deserves....

I will just need to find other ways to enjoy the weather...

SERENITY NOW!!!!!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The Tour de France starts soon. Watch Lance go for win Number 7, get inspired and buy a bike, lose 20 pounds before the Solstice arrives.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts