Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just going to toss this out for discussion. Ten or 15 years ago, most people would advise against buying a new car during its first production year claiming it was better to wait a year or so for the manufaturers to work out the problems.

With the Solstice' arrival late next year, is anyone out there subscribing to that theory any longer? Other than perhaps waiting a year or so for a turbo, is anyone taking a wait and see approach on the quality of the first run?

I've had car experiences over the years that would support both side of this, but in general do you think cars are better built and systems pre-tested today and therefore that theory is no longer valid?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not me. I had no problems with a new Chrysler Concorde in its first year (1998). :smile

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never owned a brand new car before; all of my other ones were used. I've heard some of the horror stories that come with buying a first year, brand new car, but frankly, I think those horror stories gained prominence because it was a rarity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Odd question, probably.

I'm getting deployed to Kosovo in like thirty days, and I don't feel like making payments on my car if I'm not going to be driving around Chicago's delicious curves and heart-stopping vistas (primarily Wacker Dr). I'll be gone for six months. Can anyone give me a solid idea as to when the Solstice will actually be available? Month-wise? I can wait a month and be a public transportation superstar, but if it's going to be four months, then I'm not so sure. I'll be getting back in June of '05.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Crowlep said:
I'm getting deployed to Kosovo in like thirty days, and I don't feel like making payments on my car if I'm not going to be driving around Chicago's delicious curves and heart-stopping vistas (primarily Wacker Dr). I'll be gone for six months. Can anyone give me a solid idea as to when the Solstice will actually be available? Month-wise? I can wait a month and be a public transportation superstar, but if it's going to be four months, then I'm not so sure. I'll be getting back in June of '05.
There's nothing carved in stone, but multiple rumors are cropping up that it will be available starting in June. The last official word from GM was "fall '05", but press articles have put it closer to early summer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I stopped by the local Pontiac store yesterday to see if they had heard anything. They knew absolutely nothing. One guy said, "Solstice? Isn't that a Toyota?" I'm still hoping for June.

·
4,592 Posts
OHNOTHIMAGEN said:
Ten or 15 years ago, most people would advise against buying a new car during its first production year claiming it was better to wait a year or so for the manufaturers to work out the problem.
In the "General Off Topic" area, look for this thread: "When TO Buy the Solstice???"
here's that thread:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608

I posted the same question (reply10), so you might get some responses your're looking for. I decided from that, that a first year model is not enough of a risk to worry about (but don't take my word) :thumbs

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
OHNOTHIMAGEN- There is always going to be a certain amout of wisdom in a "wait and see" stratagy, but I think that new design technology that helps find flaws before production, the amount of testing this car is getting compared to most new launches, Lutz's personal steak in it, GM's need for success right now and the fact that it just looks so damb cool that you'll probably not be able to resist anyhow are good arguments to throw caution to the wind in this case. Waiting for more power, auto trans or even better options are good reasons to wait based on personal needs, and waiting to check quality is a sound, rational reason to wait, but IMO I think the car deserves support from the beginning to be a success and believe the risks will be small. I cannot wait, I will buy it Summer/Fall '05.

Crowlep- Best of luck and wishes for a safe return from Kosovo. It's no Iraq, or even Afganistan, but it is still a somewhat unstable situation there. I do appreciate the work you folks in uniform do for us here at home. (I am assuming you're in the military) Hopefully you will still have web access over there and you can check in here. News about the Solstice gets put up here almost instantly when it comes thanks to some very dedicated web info gatherers here. Maybe you aren't aloud web access just email, but I'm sure some one could keep you updated by email by relaying info from here. Just a thought.

The Solstice release I believe will sync perfectly with your return. My personal feeling is that it will actually hit showrooms in July, some that may have inside info feel June, and that would be a great month for them to do it if possible, but I feel there are always going to be little issues during new assembly start up that will delay it. Just a total guess on my part. Officially they have said "Fall", but several sources and interviews have suggested Summer and even June. In any event, I doubt you would be long without a car. I guess I would sort of count on it as a cool coming home present to yourself. :cheers :patriot

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a Summer Solstice

There is a Summer Solstice, that is 21 June, 2005 at 02:46am EDT.

What a wonderful day to deliver the first customer or more customers if possible their new car!

The down side id there is also a winter Solstice and that is 21 December,2005 at 01:35 EDT. Lets hope for summer.

As for the question about getting into the first year car I can hardly wait.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
palmer said:
I stopped by the local Pontiac store yesterday to see if they had heard anything. They knew absolutely nothing. One guy said, "Solstice? Isn't that a Toyota?" I'm still hoping for June.
Funny :lol Maybe some of these sales guys should read a magazine or attend a car show.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think in general 1st year cars are better built today. Given the long period of time Solstice has been brewing, the high-level GM bosses behind it and amount of eyes on Pontiac I think they'll be dotting the I's and crossing the T's on this one.

I bought a first year Ford Escape and have 85K on it with only a small rough patch in 20-30 mileage area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys, this is my first post. "First Time Long Time."(for you Imus listeners)
Keep in mind that many "first year vehicles" are not all that new. Many are based on already existing platforms that have been around for awhile; there are about seven cars on the W platform. And, when cars are redesigned, many of the components are carried over from the outgoing model. With a new engine, chasis, tranny, and electronics, there can be some problems. There probably won't be any major problems, but I wouldn't be surprised to see many small improvements either: like fuel milage or ergonomics. Just look at the 2004 GTO, which is already outdated by the incoming 2005 with a revised look and new powertrain. I can't buy till I graduate in 2007 anyway, but its just a thought. But if I needed a car now, I don't think I'd be able to resist the apeal of a great looking and performing car which would be rare for awhile. Another bonus for initial buyers not considered before might even be price. I don't expect to see the General keep the pricetag below 20k after the first model year, especially after all the attention it will get(I think). If dealer gouging doesn't offset this. Consider the price creep of the grand prix over the last seven years. I guess its all just speculation in the end, so do what your heart tells you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry if I didn't make it clear before, but want to clarify was that the Solstice IS completely new. Compared to other first year models that APPEAR to be all new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't remember which car is was but one of my buddies bought a brand new 2004 Toyota. He hasn't had any problems with it at all, it works perfectly from what I've see as well. (driven it too)

·
Registered
4 Posts
first year model

I purchased a first year model for my current car a 03 Nissan 350Z.

There were several problems reported with this model as well as 04s.
The only problem I experienced with mine was front tire wear. after about 4,000 miles the inside edges of the tires began cupping and caused a roaring sound to occur from the front of the car at first while braking then, when slowing down, then all the time.

They replaced the front tires and adjusted the alignment and told me the car was alignment from the factory was for road racing not recreational type use. I've only put a few miles on it so I don't know if that is true or not.

But other than that it's been a great car. So I guess I would buy a first year model solstice next year.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I’d rather enjoy the car right away and worry about problems if and when they occur. Any new car is a risk for some problems, and probably a little more so on an all new vehicle and platform. That said, many problems do not get resolved right away either. I can name a list of cars where companies have taken years to resolve issues, or never do resolve them. The perfect car does not exist (regardless of what Honda owners claim). I’ll take mine right away and hope I luck out as I do with every car I buy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Randy,

Your problem sounds like the same thing I have going on with my '91 MR2 except my problem is in the back end. The factory sets rear alignment (camber mainly) to maintain maximum tread pattern to pavement under hard cornering. But the problem with that is under normal highway driving the car is wearing the inner quarter of its tread pattern much more rapidly that the rest of the tire.

As long as I'm on the subject, I'm not the original owner of the MR2, but it does represent a first year example for the MKII chassis line. In fact, according to the manufacture date, it was actually assembled in early 1990. The previous owner kept very good records and there have been no major defects, repairs, or recalls on the car. Same story holds for my wife's 2000 Solara / Camry, although I think of that car as pretty much a sport sedan body on a tried and well tested platform.

My only other experience with a brand new car was (please hold laughter for the end) a 1979 Plymouth Horizon TC-3. The only good, dependable thing about that car was the VW block in had in it. We had multiple problems from faulty alternators to defective hatchback support struts and various things in between. Service problems were equally frustrating.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
bigd said:
You're joking, right? The Solstice was done in like half of the normal amount of time.
Idea to concept was extremely fast yes but since then it's seemed like an eternity :devil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if this is helpful... but... I "know a guy" (clearly not me) who works for a company that creates web-type applications for GM. The current data "he" has to work with states that the Solstice will be on sale in the "Fall of 2005". This is Canadian information regarding the release of the Solstice IN Canada... that being said, there is often no difference between the sales releases of new cars within Canada and the US. -It's generally a North American release. Sorry to disappoint, but Fall '05 is the current release date.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts