Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figuring the solstice is over a year away from being on the showroom without price gouging, and not even available until later this year to sit in, I am thinking of the following:

I came into a few xtra bucks, and there is a nice car for sale, I think I'll buy it to hold me over. If I get a good enough deal, I shouldn't loose to much when I sell it to upgrade to a solstice.

It's a mazdaspeed mx-5, so I hope you all don't mind me asking for a little price advice, or potential warnings about the car. It's just I believe several of you could be very helpful. If you want, tell me to buzz off, and go join the miata forum.

It's a '04 Mazdaspeed mx-5 titanium grey, vinyl top, cloth interior, sticker is $26,250, MSRP $25,730. It's got a pretty nice ding in the rear panel, no idea how they handle that (don't trust the salesman's answer), it may also have some stain on the vinyl roof. They have 0% apr for 5 years, but say no other incentives can be applied beyond that. If i took 0%apr, I'd still want below sticker, but how much can I expect? I've seen some getting down to $20K with incentives in september on this exact model.

My wife and I also don't like the red seat inserts and red panels on the door. They have another miata with those parts in black, Is there any chance a dealer would be willing to swap those out (even if I was willing to pay for the labor to do so). The red may be a deal breaker.

0-60 in 6.5, wow, this would be one hold-me-over!

any warnings about this product would also be appreciated

Hope no one takes offense to the miata question, thanks
Besides, with a name like SOLSTER, how long could I be caught drivin' a miata?
If nothing else, it's something to hold us over till the NAIAS!!!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Rodeo, when you said hold-over I was expecting a beater car and then you go on the talk about a new MX-5, wow, that will get you by for a long time.

I'm not so sure we are a year away from price gouging on Solstice. With a little luck cars should hit the showrooms by late spring early summer. I'd think near the end of summer the "games" would be over everywhere as we start to head into fall when convertibles are not a big a seller. All throughout the summer I think you'd be able to find a Solstice without gouging but it might take a little travel/looking.

Back to the MSM. I'm sure you already did this but the Miata forum does have all the experts and they will probably have some great advice for you. As far as the price goes with this being the winter, MSM aren't selling all that great (I think I heard on Miata forum), the NC on the horizon next year, plus the ding & stain, you should be a very strong position to deal hard with them. I would even start at invoice price (find on web) and work from there. In fact the ding and stain should be extra off your final price unless they can fix it because that happened on their watch.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What he said... :agree

RODEO, check the miata forum. (Sorry - couldn't resist! :jester )
Seriously, There are several threads going there on what they should pay for a MazdaSpeed. And I believe one of the threads is people telling what they paid for theirs. Problems are also discussed. Let us know what you finally do?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Rodeo, I agree with mceb. The other thing is you might ask them to let you take the car to the best auto body shop there to determine just what costs are involved in rectifying the car's appearance problems and deduct them from the purchase price. As far as the seats, I'll wager they likely won't want to change them for you. I think if you end up purchasing the car, put the word out that you'd like to swap with someone and you'll get someone willing to trade for you. As I understand it, it's easily enough done.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys!

1st, I didn't think they'd be willing to swap seats, but thought I'd ask for your opinion anyways.

As for the ding, the so called "salesman" said "oh yeah, we'll fix it under warranty" whatever the heck that meant???? I can't figure out, would they actually fix it. Of course no deal could be done before that without the repair being taken into account.

I had looked over the miata forum. I definately sugget we do a similar thread of price comparisonswhen the time comes (I'm sure that was already obvious). The reason I posted here is I trust a lot of the great opinions of this forum's regulars. And if nothing else, something for us to do until NAIAS :smash

So far, I've seen people report that they've gotten (with incentives) them for 19K with the leather package, although that is usually the lowest price, it seems 21K is an average (although tht's in september).

A big question, if 0% apr is an incentive, and it saves me say $3K, how much can i excpect to take off of sticker then. IOW, if the best discount for others has been $7k off sticker without special financing, should I expect a $3k fininace savings and another $4K of sticker?

I should add, this overly idiotic "salesman" is trying to treat me like this is still a hot car - he literally says "this is the only titanium grey one..." - to which I replied, hey, let's remember the '05 mx5s are out, the '06 new design will be in showrooms in say 9 months, and my favorite the solstice is debuting in a week at NAIAS (Jan 8th). Do salesmen do anything more than facilitate opening the car and test drives, d*mn they're useless!!! Sorry GTOJ, just venting cause of one dumb idiot :rant

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'm not crazy about the red/black seats myself. The one drawing of Sky also showed the same thing which would be a turnoff for me.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
mceb said:
I'm not crazy about the red/black seats myself. The one drawing of Sky also showed the same thing which would be a turnoff for me.
:agree

Can't stand them, no offense to those that like 'em.

I'm trying to research what other options are available for the 04 and 05.

Hey, if nothing else, this thread will show our miata forum friends we're not miata bashers! :yesnod

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a question:

those large metal disks that you can see through the wheels on the miataand solstice, are they the rotors (forgive my ignorance).

When i looked at the miata they looked rusted, and on everyone of them on the lot. Is that supposed to be??? Looks kinda bad. I wondered perhaps that this would be reomved once the vehicle is driven, perhaps it's there as the vehicle has been sitting

would the solstice have the same problem?

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Probably a sign they've been sitting on the lot a while. The rust will com off the main surface when the brake is applied (there will still be rust on the non-brake surfaces, not a problem).

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If the brakes have ever been used they create brake dust on the rotors. When that brake dust on the rotors gets exposed to moisture it will rust. Once you use the brakes again it'll rub all the rust right off. It's fine since most cars have this.

Ok, now remember. The financing is not from this Miata dealership, it's more then likely from Miata Corporate. So when you're saving $3k in interest, you're not saving it from the dealer, you're saving it from Miata Corporate. This also does not impact the dealership at all because they don't get any money from the interest. The only thing affecting the money the dealer gets is the price of the car. So if they try to hold the 'interest savings' over your head don't let them.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brentil said:
If the brakes have ever been used they create brake dust on the rotors. When that brake dust on the rotors gets exposed to moisture it will rust. Once you use the brakes again it'll rub all the rust right off. It's fine since most cars have this.

Ok, now remember. The financing is not from this Miata dealership, it's more then likely from Miata Corporate. So when you're saving $3k in interest, you're not saving it from the dealer, you're saving it from Miata Corporate. This also does not impact the dealership at all because they don't get any money from the interest. The only thing affecting the money the dealer gets is the price of the car. So if they try to hold the 'interest savings' over your head don't let them.

Thanks brentil, that's what i need. I just got a offer, $26,250 Invoice: $24,409 Your price through me $20,309 after rebate + fees, and I could probably get a few hundred more from holdback.
THE QUESTION, I've been told i can't use 0%apr in conjuction with other incentives, is that true? If I could use it, I'd be driving home in it in an hour :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
RODEO said:
I just got a offer, $26,250 Invoice: $24,409 Your price through me $20,309 after rebate + fees, and I could probably get a few hundred more from holdback. THE QUESTION, I've been told i can't use 0%apr in conjuction with other incentives, is that true? If I could use it, I'd be driving home in it in an hour :D
So MSRP = $26,250, Invoice = $24,409, your price = $20,309 including rebates
Yes, usually the deal is cash back rebate off car OR incentive financing but not both.

20k ain't bad bottom line price, what's their "normal" loan rate? E-loan is showing 4.69% for 3-5 year loans.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, $20,309 is the offer, and this is not the one with dents, but it does have red interior. How much more coud I expect to get off of this offer, some from holdback I assume. If I get it low enough, I'll buy some nice seat covers, and cover the red door trim.

SO how much lower can I negotiate?

Thanks for all the help, this is fun!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'm not an expert at car dealers but I think getting into the holdback is tough. That's the bottom line dealer profit in there so they don't like messing with that :skep

Did the rebates come off the invoice price? How close the that did you get?

Here's a site that gets into the nitty gritty details...

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mceb said:
I'm not an expert at car dealers but I think getting into the holdback is tough. That's the bottom line dealer profit in there so they don't like messing with that :skep

Did the rebates come off the invoice price? How close the that did you get?

Here's a site that gets into the nitty gritty details...

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

seems the rebates came off of invoice, The sticker was $26,250, the dealer stated teh invoice is 24,409, then he said "your price through me is 20,309", seems he made a $100 error in my favor. Any more advice?

Tell you one thing, i did this through carsdirect which put me in touch with this fleet manager, i had this quote in 15 minutes, I WILL DEFINATELY NEVER HAGGLE WITH A DEALER ON SITE AGAIN, let me say that again, NEVER AGAIN. Got to love the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sounds good. Generally if you get invoice (or close) you've done well. Some people like to twist more arm and get some holdback but the dealer is entitled to eat too. Good luck, you'll be rolling well before we are here :cryin

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
so, the guy says, I got another one on the lot, $20,198 after rebate + fees. same vehicle, just shipped earlier, thus msrp was a bit lower. not bad. i'm thinking of asking for $19,999 just cause it sounds cool!

thanks
SOLSTER - can't wait to get that on my "temporary" personalized plates!!!!!!! :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Sounds like you made out well through the internet on that one! That sounds like a really good price. I am not sure you will get it too much lower than what you have, but I wouldn’t feel ripped off at that price either. However, it may not be totally impossible.

The dealer generally has a lot of latitude. First, they can knock off the $3000 rebate. That costs them nothing. Next, they generally should be willing to sell it at invoice price, since it’s a leftover 2004 and they will be receiving 2005’s soon (if they haven’t already). Finally, Mazda may also have a “hidden” rebate, giving the dealer further latitude in negotiating down. Automakers use these a lot. They are not advertised to the public, or even recorded as rebates on the contract. However, the dealer knows about it and can use it in negotiating down without eating into their base profit if they chose to.

You could always lop off a few more dollars from the quoted price, and tell them you will sign for $X right now if they can do it. Don’t go in and negotiate. Just tell them you will pay $X right then and there, and see if they do it. If not, walk and wait for their call. As long as your offer isn’t unreasonably low, I bet they call you in a day or so and agree to the price. If they had buyers lined up for the car, it would be long done by now.

Good luck!!

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
FF88, thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

I appreciated mceb's comments on holdback, and I agree, a dealer's gotta eat, seen that on our sites as well. But I couldn't just acept a first offer.

So, on the miata forum I found the best price for Calif, it was $21,020 out the door, tacx and license included. This is an approximate of $19-$19.2K price before fees (Ican only estimate title,and tax is 8.25%). There were at least 2 others on the forum that paid $21,800 out the door with the leather package, that's is about $19-19.4K depending on their tax and titile. I also saw several reports of $7k offer stickerin several places across the country, one in the bay area of Calif. All of these numbers where between 9/04 and 12/04.

As I have to find a resolution to the red interior, I explained my counter based on that.

I'll follow up. Gotta say, I've been reading up in this vehicle, sounds d*mn nice, and for this price, I can't see not getting one. Then it's up to solstice to get my big *ss grin pried out from behind the wheel. I figure at this price, a trade to a solstice shouldn't cost me a whole lot when the time comes.

Thanks for the support!
SOLSTER

They have at least 7 of the '04s on the lot, and yes, the '05 MSMx-5s are alos on the lot in about the same number.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So i gave a second price of $21,020 OTD, he responded:

"This is a today deal only, $21,161 OTD! This is a big loser deal for the dealership!
The incentives will change tomorrow, so let me know your decision asap."

This has got to be about $19.3K give or take before fees, temptin' eh?

I also got cost on OEM seat cover replacements, about $700 for parts. I could ebay out the red covers to bring down the cost.

Now, to see if I can talk the wife into it, a test drive ought to do :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts