1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
A few times and they have been great.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I have dealt with them for the 15 years, maybe longer. They are great to deal with, take care of your car, know not to jack (at least my store does) They also sponsored the FJ National Summit for years and years.

A great bunch that went to our Nationals.

I would highly recommend them. In California it is known as America's Tire Store.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discount Tire and Belle Tire are the majority of tire stores in MI. Discount is prominent throughout the Midwest and I've seen some stores in the northeast.... But in MI they are like McDonalds....they're everywhere! Their customer service is excellent!!!

I can tell you to stay away from TireRack.com..... I had a horrific experience with TireRack on my Mustang. Might as well post it again...

I ordered summer only tires (Bridgestone Potenza F1 - $1050) for my Mustang (had Toyo Proxies and loved them!!) as it was stored winters (It was a show car!! Special order color combo...1 of 12.) and I had a set of wheels and tires for storage. Toward the end of summer I noticed a vibration. Thinking summer was over, I didn't do anything with it. The next summer the vibration was much worse. Took it to a Discount Tire to have them balanced. It really didn't do much for it. So I figured it was the rims as they were AM chrome wheels and had started to peel on the inside. I put about 3k average of summer driving on it each year. So my new tires from TireRack had about 5k on them at this point and were almost a year and half old. I drove it the rest of the summer. The vibration getting worse. So at the end of summer I decided to have them force balanced. The tech called me back and showed me each tire. The belts were broke in all 4 tires and had bulges in the tread from it causing the vibrations I was feeling. Then he showed me the manufacturer date. These "new" tires were 6 years old!!! They were sitting in a warehouse for at least 4 years before I bought them "new". When I confronted TireRack they gave me a process to follow. I was to ship back all 4 tires at my expense. 'IF' they found the tires to be defective, they would refund me my purchase price less shipping. So....shipping to me was $150 and shipping back to them was $250 (they get a discount on shipping)...a total of $400. They would refund me $900 for the cost of the tires, but would not cover any shipping. I went round and round with them for over a month, calling daily and wasting a good hour and finally decided to give up. They refused to refund any of the shipping that I paid for 'if' the tires were bad. And that was my other complaint....they told me they had to determine if it was abuse that caused the belt to fail. And if there was any evidence of abuse, they would not refund me my money and I would have to pay to have them shipped back to me.....another $150. They also stated that if I had more then 2mm of tread wear, they would pro-rate the refund. So that's my story and I will NEVER use or recommend TireRack again!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Another happy customer here too. Dealt with them online for many years. Drove over an hour to take my sons car to a brick and mortar store and was happy with the results. I wish they'd hurry and finish the store local to me and open it up because the wife's car needs tires!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
I've had very bad experiences with Discount Tire (the store, not the website).

Dented my G35 with a jack handle. Over-torqued the lugs so badly that I couldn't get a wheel off after the new tire went flat, an hour after I left the tire shop, in the middle of nowhere between Dallas and Tulsa. Stole two good tires off of my car when I had 4 new ones put on. Apparently they "put them in the trash", even though I'd specifically said I wanted to keep the two good ones. ("Good" as in they were less than a year old and probably had 4000 miles on them.) Wouldn't get them back out, and then insisted on charging me a disposal fee, for tires I specifically told them not to dispose of.

I saw the tires sitting in the back of a truck on my way out. Truck belonged to (drum roll): The Manager! (These were a pair of NOT cheap 275x45x19s.)

I just grabbed them out of the truck and put them in my trunk. He came out and asked me what I was doing. I explained it. He uttered some expletives and walked off.

That's when I noticed the dent over the driver's rear wheel, exactly where a jack handle would hit. Of course they refused to cover it.

That said, I haven't used their site, but I'll never let those geniuses touch anything of mine again.

I like Tire Rack. They know their race tires, stand behind their products and drop-ship directly to your local installer (Discount Tire, NTB, etc.)

Edit: I just noticed the_ghost's post. Wow. Guess I've been lucky!

On a side note: why I'm doing my own body work? Every time I let anyone touch one of my cars, they mess something up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
As a possible option, I know Tire rack has the option to ship your tires to any shop even if it's out of their network. Maybe Discount has this option? Not sure about money savings however with getting a DT install package only vs. separate charges with a non-DT shop.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've had nothing but good experiences with Discount Tire online. From big off-road 285/75r16's to little 205/55r16's, each order has worked out great. When I drop my truck or car off with tires to be mounted at my local tire store that does a good job balancing, I just tell them that I got them from Tire Rack because the shop is an affiliate installer with them. No one is the wiser, everyone is happy!

I've also ordered a pre-mounted and balanced set of tires on nice aftermarket aluminum wheels and they arrived in perfect condition via UPS. Discount's wheel application guide can be trusted.

After more than a half dozen orders from them, I will still only shop Discount Tire!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts