Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a lot of folks have pre-ordered. But, playing devil's advocate, what are you going to do if you drive your car for the first time and decide it's not what you'd thought it would be? Or that it just isn't for you? Or that it's not living up to expectations? And expectations must be going through the roof for those that have already put down money, are reading these boards, and driving themselves crazy with anticipation.

Real life example: I had my heart set on an S2K and was all ready to buy one...until I drove it. Yes, it's a fantastic sports car and I still really like them. Acceleration was outstanding, engine sang, handled great, but something just didn't feel right and I couldn't pin down what it was and I still can't. But when I was test driving it, I don't know...it just didn't speak to me, you know? I was extremely disappointed because I was ready to plop down the dough on the car. But when I came back from the test drive I just wasn't moved. I went home feeling pretty :( about the whole thing.

I liked the looks of the Miata (at least the NB version) but I can't say they lit a fire in me when seeing them on the road. Not really sure what to do after the S2K disappointment, I figured I'd try a test drive in one. That's when I found out about the MSMiata and thought I may as well give that one a go - still not that crazy about the look of the car. Maybe three minutes into the test drive, however, she told me I should take her home.

Perfect example of a car picking it's driver.

I don't want to sound like I'm going all "Christine" here but my point is that if the car doesn't speak to you you're not going to want to drop the coin for it. I picked the car that was one rung below what I thought I wanted because it felt right.

So, those that pre-ordered are just like I was at the Honda dealership. Looked at the car, loved it, obsessed about it. Love affair ended after the test drive.

Any thoughts about what you all will do if this happens after you've committed?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Or, a very real problem for us long of leg: What if the car you ordered finally arrives and you find you don't fit comfortably? My contract says all over it, "Refundable Deposit".

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think that you have a very valid question and I think that I have the perfect answer for me. My dealer has been really great. I have put $1000 down, but I can back out if I want. He is going to order the car and when I drive it I can back out. He knows that the car will sell to someone else, so he is not worried. Even if I was one of the 1000, which I'm not, I coould have backed out.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Very good points, I really don't know what I'm going to do. I love the look of the car and everything I've read. This alone was enough for me to put $1,000 down a couple weeks back. If I don't like it at first, at this point I'll probably just take it anyway.

I find that after a while I get used to something even if I don't like it at first, sometimes I end up really liking it. Take a manual transmission, a couple years ago when I learning to drive + learning to drive stick, I was ready to give up driving until my parents got an automatic because it was just too frustrating and I didn't see why everyone loved manual transmissions. Thank god I stuck in there! Probably the next time my dad took me out to the school parking lot it finally clicked and I was able to go whole "circuit" without staling or hickuping. A little over 2.5 years later I can't imagine not having a manual, it's just too much fun.

If it's unbearable I guess I'll just get back in my Sunfire and save up some more money for an S2000 or a G6 Convertible. I'm hoping the Solstice is as fun to drive as my Sunfire, maybe even more since it's a convertible, but looks can be deceiving as we all probably know :)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
A very good question Matt123. One of the big reasons I was shocked at how many people went for EOP (5000). I guess most figure their "out" is to not take delivery if they don't like it.

Says a lot for how much looks can sell a car :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That is one of the reasons I really want to see and drive this car in person before buying. Just to be sure it really is what I want. Right along I have felt it is what I want, but I cannot make the determination of whether it is a car I want to live with until I am able to try it on, drive it, see how things work, etc. That said, I do not expect it to dissappoint in the least!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ebay!

That's why I'm not worried. If you get it and don't like it, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that will buy one, even if it's used, for more than sticker, only because they're not in showrooms yet.

At least that's my thinking. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
504 Posts
:agree:
blue_q said:
Ebay!

That's why I'm not worried. If you get it and don't like it, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that will buy one, even if it's used, for more than sticker, only because they're not in showrooms yet.

At least that's my thinking. I could be wrong.
:agree:

·
Registered
138 Posts
This Is A No Brainer!

Simple: for those of us who got in on the first 1000 cars, if we do not like it after we drive it for a week, then we offer it up for sale and make an additional $5000 for our efforts. The demand for this car the first year is going to far outstrip the supply. Getting rid of it will easy. Shoot, you could even hold an auction in your driveway and make a couple of grand. This is a no risk issue for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Refunable yeah but the down side of that...

I was thinking the same way until joining this forum... now the pressure is on.
I am hoping that the other car that is coming into the area will be here first... it will be nice to actually see, hear and maybe try out the fit. I'd love to be able to let Pontiac know about a cancellation before the car gets here "if" I decided that I don't want the car.

I have seen a car that I loved, thought I was going to buy but then -test drove it and something just wasn't right.

If we are able to inform Pontiac before the car gets to the dealer - the next person on waiting list would get it (could be someone on here-ya never know). That's my plan... waiting patiently as of now, but not sure how I will feel if it isn't here in Sept. or Oct and I need to pay to store the car for winter... ?

As far as ebay goes, as mentioned in earlier post, it might work... if things work out well with the car in general, if it is able to hold it's reputaion that may be an good option... however, "IF" there are too many initial problems and/or they offer a lot of new options (hard top/increased power/colors-int and ext./improved version ect.) it may be more of a risk to take than some people would want to take.

Still hopefull that all will go well, just a little sol-food for thought. :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Willing recipients

I have 16 and 17 yr. old boys. My suspicion is if I do not like the car, one of them would be willing to take it off my hands .

Actually, if I do not like it I think I will not accept delivery (I am sure my dealer can find someone willing to buy it). I will then, in a fit of depression, go to the chevy dealer down the road, and buy a new corvette. I am sure my wife will understand my need for consolation :skep: .

·
Registered
184 Posts
My dealer probably won't mind.

My dealer here in Wichita offered to give me back my deposit if it doesn't work out for me. I am another long legged buyer - 6'7".

I'll bet most dealers are okay with a cancelled order. They could sell it in a heartbeat for more than list or have a floor model for a few weeks to sell a few more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DreamerDave said:
My contract says all over it, "Refundable Deposit".
I hope it says something about "not suiting your taste" because, it might be interpreted "it they do not deliver... then they will refund..." or something like this.

I would not order until I can test drive the car... Like I indicated in another post " I would not buy a pair of shoe without trying it 1st!"

I had the same experience with other cars... beeing hot about purchasing or test drive then beeing dissappointed driving the car... Chrysler 300M (the previous model), 350Z just to mention the latest ones...

I wish luck for all of those who did (pre-order)...

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
giranda said:
I have 16 and 17 yr. old boys. My suspicion is if I do not like the car, one of them would be willing to take it off my hands .

:agree: In my case I have three daughters ( yes that is why my hair is so gray) I'm certain there will not be a problem finding a family member who would love to take my Sol from me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was the same way for the Chrysler Crossfire. Was ga-ga over it. Went to the dealership to see if I could actually fit (im 6'2" with long legs) and it was not until I got to looking for little things like the cup holder that I was turned off. Never even took it out for a test drive.

That is why I decided to wait until they are in showrooms before I put my money down. Who knows, I might be buying one of the first 1000 off Ebay ;)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
" I would not buy a pair of shoe without trying it 1st!"

I thought that same way until I bought a pair of Merrell shoes omn the internet. Merrell are the only shoes I will wear nowadays and I know my exact shoe size with the company already. So when they arrived (TAX FREE) they fit like a glove/shoe. I will now buy shoes from the Internet again.

As for cars, I am familiar with new cars from Pontiac and assuming that everything will be good at least. And I have owned and driven a Geo Metro (newer style) and the Honda Civic CVCC. Plus I have driven my friend's Miatas without major cramping. So the measurements add up fine for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My dealer is cool. They wrote Refundable Deposit if the car isn't what I thought it was going to be. I highly doubt that I will change my mind tho. I am loving this car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts