Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect that the buzzing I am hearing from the direction of the passenger air bag is actually coming from the windshield wiper on that side. Two different passengers have said it sounds like it is coming from there and it only happens at right around 45 mph. I searched but didn't see a topic on this. I looked around the interwebz but there were lots of people saying lots of things that sounded pretty daft. What's the best solution for this?

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
I have never heard of this issue. The obvious things are remove the wiper arm to see if the noise goes away. If it does then you can play around with different configurations of blades, arms etc. Maybe swap side to side.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Are you sure it's not just a leaf or twig in the cabin air blower? Trying turning everything (heat/AC/fan) off and see if the noise is still there.

If it's not that, then try pulling the wiper blade out to the 'snow removal' position and driving with it like that. See if it's an air noise.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I KNOW, I KNOW! My 2007 GXP had the same issue: If the noise is a fluttering-farting sound coming from near the passenger side wiper, it isn't the wiper but the rubber weatherstrip outside at the bottom of the windshield. The rubber squeegie-like strip flaps against the windshield between 40 and 55 MPH. I solved the problem by putting a couple small blobs of Permatex black silicone gasket sealant under parts of the weatherstrip that isn't firmly laying against the windshield. Open the hood and look at the bottom rubber weatherstrip. If you see even the slightest gap between the windshield and the rubber weatherstrip, put a small blob of silicone under the gap area, tape it down to the windshield using masking tape until dry. Problem solved!!

If you should ever need to remove the plastic pan the weatherstrip is connected to for servicing the High Pressure Fuel Pump someday (ask me how I know), the Permatex will pull right off the windshield with no damage to the weatherstrip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure it's not just a leaf or twig in the cabin air blower? Trying turning everything (heat/AC/fan) off and see if the noise is still there.

If it's not that, then try pulling the wiper blade out to the 'snow removal' position and driving with it like that. See if it's an air noise.
It happens at 45 mph whether that stuff is on or not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The problem is exactly what Kelly said. I had the same problem with the rubber strip at the bottom of the windshield. I sealed it like Kelly did and the problem was solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts