Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
A show on the speed channel just showed a spy photo tonight. That is probably photoshopped, but really cool.

The show also said it would be 52k, not 70.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Why? They made that mistake with the ZR1.

If it does come for 52, it will be one hell of a deal. From what I hear...it has some very trick parts!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what's it worth here is what some of the C6 ZO6 folks are suggesting.

"Interesting spy photo this week. As you may know, Chevy is showing the '06 Z06 to the media this week.

We ran into a couple of usually impeccable information sources last week [edit - edit - edit] and found out some good tech info. First, while not being specific, one source told us the spy photos are a bit misleading. There will be a fairly big change to the rear of the car to fit the wider wheels and tires within the fenders, probably more of a change than indicated in the spy shots.

The hood may also change, although the apparent upper cooling duct in this week's spy photo may be that change (although as unsightly as it appears to be, we can hope not). There will also be the use of carbon-kevlar body panels (a nice, expensive little item).

As for the motor, well, it was confirmed to us that it will be a 427 small-block, employing a purpose-built block. Horsepower will be 500-502 at about 5,800 rpm, torque at probably 500 lb-ft. It will have an external oiling system, and, perhaps most startling, the word titanium was used in conjunction with the words connecting rods. That would be a particularly pricey deal.

We were also told to expect a price in the 70K range with a production run of 3K cars or so.

I've got a couple disbelieving media friends who're gonna confirm the facts with me after this week's showing.

You can use this info if you want, just don't attribute it to me since I don't want my info sources to dry up."

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If they price the Z06 at $70K they may just kill the golden goose. I have no doubt they could build a 70K Vette, but the current Z06 has been popular because it gives a lot of added performance while remaining a really good value at a somewhat affordable price. As the price climbs, the competition gets better, the number of available buyers dwindles, and those buyers expect more from their cars in all areas, not just performance. If I were Chevy, I would want a $50k’s Z06 and then maybe try a $70K’s limited edition run with some added power or something. However I would not jump straight from the $45K base car to a $70K car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts