Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be the first to tell you im not buying this car for its quietness, but i was just wondering, it looksl ike the top on this thing is just plain flimsy, i mean is it going to be like riding in an old jeep, i love convertibles, but i still want the thing to at least seal up, it doesnt even look like it would keep out the rain the the back corners, is there something else inside that keeps it a little stable.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
905 Posts
That was pre-production, the newer pictures (like that of the one at that air show), show a much improved top.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a link directing me to those pics,i would really like to see a pic up close of the newer top and if it fits better.

How loud do you guys think its gonna be???? im guessing along the lines of S2000

·
Registered
397 Posts
As has been mentioned, that was one of the problems they've been working on. I think when the car finally comes out you will see a vastly improved top. However, I don't believe it will have much, if any, insulation - adds weight and bulk ya' know. So, to answer your question - yes, it may be like an old Jeep. Although probably not as loud as driving a "flying brick" :lol:

Anyone out there who's seen one recently know what the top looks like?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I suspect that with the production top design there could be considerable wind and road noice transmitted through the single layer top. Personally, I would think that the GM engineers will have adjusted the final design to mimimulize these issues, but I guess the only way we will know is to find out first hand!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
007 DC5 said:
I will be the first to tell you im not buying this car for its quietness, but i was just wondering, it looksl ike the top on this thing is just plain flimsy, i mean is it going to be like riding in an old jeep, i love convertibles, but i still want the thing to at least seal up, it doesnt even look like it would keep out the rain the the back corners, is there something else inside that keeps it a little stable.
:lol: Old Jeep! Even Jeeps are not what they used to be. I have a 2002 Wrangler, and it's soft top seals fine and does a decent job at keeping noise out. Its about as quiet as the hardtop (I have both). Its not bad at all. I can hold a conversation at normal volume on the thruway, and can hear the radio just fine. So I suspect the Solstice will be water tight and decently quiet too.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fformula88 said:
:lol: Old Jeep! Even Jeeps are not what they used to be. I have a 2002 Wrangler, and it's soft top seals fine and does a decent job at keeping noise out. Its about as quiet as the hardtop (I have both). Its not bad at all. I can hold a conversation at normal volume on the thruway, and can hear the radio just fine. So I suspect the Solstice will be water tight and decently quiet too.
Well i hope it will be watertight! im sure it wont be too bad, and plus its a "little" more aerodynamic than a jeep, so im sure it wont kill us, plus you can buy buffeting materials like someone said, and have a liner made for it.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
If it's not a lined top, I'd expect a lot of noise. There's a huge difference when i switch from the hard top to the soft top now.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
package said:
If it's not a lined top, I'd expect a lot of noise. There's a huge difference when i switch from the hard top to the soft top now.
like how loud, i mean, it cant be that bad...can it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am not that concerned about the top up noise as this car is designed to be driven top down and that is how I plan to drive it. I consider the top to be something you need in an emergency such as getting caught in a rain storm and then back down it goes. Quite honestly I don't think this kind of car is ment for winter use but I am sure some will use it that way and in that case they should realize they are using the car out of its element. If a person wants quiet they should buy a hard top.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
When I had my Sebring, I was always shocked at how the noise wasn't bad until something made noise right over your head. Then it was like it was in the car with you!

I.E., driving under overpasses or thru tunnels, having a jetliner pass over you at the airport, stuff like that.

The glass does a good job of attentuating the noise, so all the noise seems, well, UP...

If that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Note to self, investigate noise-cancelling mobile phone headset

·
Registered
504 Posts
Noise I'm used to,after riding motorcycles for 33yrs,I'm planning on doing top down travel,weather permitting,so top up noise will be negligible.As far as rain getting in I will bet it won't happen.According to Lutz quality is job one.I have faith. :yesnod: :cool:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I willing to accept topup noise because if it's nice weather enough to drive it, I sure am doing it with the top down. However, what about wind noise top down and air turbulance in the cabin? Anyone who sat in one know what the clearances might be like? I got a pretty good wind blast in the forehead in a C5 Vette unless I crouched. I'm only 6'3" and previous posts suggested that there was plenty of room for over 6' drivers, but I cant really tell from the photos showing drivers as easy as I'd like to guage this.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
A bunch of wusses! So the top isn't lined. Hah! Why in my day, you young whippersnappers, our tops were barely attached (dzuz fasteners, pre-Velcro) and they were tight only at speed. And we would worry that the bulge in the top at apeed would affect the aerodynamics, and, and we liked it! :brentil:

It's a sports roadster, not a touring car. Why, even the late 60's Goats and Malibu SS had single layer tops. First you'll want a liner, then you'll want power top because now withthe liner its too heavy to manually inflate, then you'll want more hp to launch the extra weight and handle the added electronics and hydraulic drain. See where this is headed? :lol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
achieftain said:
A bunch of wusses! So the top isn't lined. Hah! Why in my day, you young whippersnappers, our tops were barely attached (dzuz fasteners, pre-Velcro) and they were tight only at speed. And we would worry that the bulge in the top at apeed would affect the aerodynamics, and, and we liked it! :brentil:

Back in YOUR days did cars even come with tops? :glol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
I heard those stagecoaches also had a very rough ride! :glol:

:jester:

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Solstick said:
I willing to accept topup noise because if it's nice weather enough to drive it, I sure am doing it with the top down. However, what about wind noise top down and air turbulance in the cabin? Anyone who sat in one know what the clearances might be like? I got a pretty good wind blast in the forehead in a C5 Vette unless I crouched. I'm only 6'3" and previous posts suggested that there was plenty of room for over 6' drivers, but I cant really tell from the photos showing drivers as easy as I'd like to guage this.
man you might have some trouble...im sure their not as big inside or bigger than a C5, im 6' even, and i dont have trouble with the old vette or new one, but damn, 6'3" in a solstice might be pushin it, i dont know so dont quote, but thats probably going to be pretty close

1 - 20 of 29 Posts