Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me to an accurate 3D model - 3DSMAX, Maya, AutoCAD, whatever - of the vert and/or coupe?

I'm going to make some parts and would like to mock it up digitally beforehand. (It's a lot easier to hit "undo" than run back to the body shop supply store and buy $$$ worth of material.)

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd like to see if I can find one thats compatible with SketchUp, and will also check out the file conversions options.
Thanks! Just about every modeling app can import a WaveFront OBJ, and it's listed on available formats section on the model's page.

... Googling: looks like there are a number of OBJ importers available for SketchUp. I use 3DSMAX, but I've been using it since DOS and have a (free) educator's license. Sketchup should be just fine.

Edit

Here's another one that looks a little more accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interior and the body, suitable for animation. Not something you can throw into SolidWorks, CAMSol or anything like that.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Interior and the body, suitable for animation. Not something you can throw into SolidWorks, CAMSol or anything like that.
Thanks. I almost had a chub there for a moment. Thought it couldn't be true as I'm sure GM would have an "issue" with that type of data being available!

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do the pics look like a caricature version of the Solstice. They can't be an accurate representation.
You start with a box - 8 corners and some triangles - and extrude, subdivide, merge etc until you get something that looks somewhat like the model you're trying to build.

It's an art - and a lot harder than it sounds.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
You start with a box - 8 corners and some triangles - and extrude, subdivide, merge etc until you get something that looks somewhat like the model you're trying to build.

It's an art - and a lot harder than it sounds.
lol - and "real" 3D solid of modeling swept and curved surfaces requires a TON of data!

When we started molding dog treats I created a 3D solid model that was about 16 megabyte. Adding draft and radii took it up to about 30mb. The tool and die shop then designed a 4 cavity mold which meant the part data was now 120mb, BUT that has to be split into two halves of the mold so that was now about 1/4 gigabyte. Tool shop couldn't open the entire mold design in their software without it crashing. It became a case study for the software company to improve their memory management in their code!

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
RG, thanks for the explanation. I was thinking a real Solstice was 3D scanned so that aftermarket parts could be designed using the computer scan of the car.

Oh, in a perfect world... 3D scanners are now really, really cheap - a friend has one that plugs into his iPad and you just walk around the object(s) you want to scan, and it generates a 3D model. AutoDesk has a similiar app for tablets and phones but doesn't use an external camera. The results are certainly useful (and fun), but not quite schematic quality.

We know that such models exist because they're a key component of modern manufacturing - everything from aerodynamics simulation to tool design uses it - but, unless some forum member's cousin is holding the keys to GMs server farm, I doubt we'll ever see them.

It's possible to generate that kind of thing (going back to 3D scanners, or just a t-square and patience) well enough to be useful for designing body parts and such, which could be a fun project. (And with all of that Spare Time I have...) But, even a mostly-correct model like thoses available online are good enough for playing.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That must've been a really impressive do treat. :) A classmate in undergrad (he was Mech-E, I'm EE) got an internship which required him to design a paper plate. It was non-trivial, to say the least. The more I learn about engineering, the more amazed I am that ANYTHING works.

It became a case study for the software company to improve their memory management in their code!
Good times. I work with various game studios on a lot of stuff, but the big one is perf and resource optimization. One game I looked at last week needed 3GB of assets - many of which were compressed in VRAM, but dynamically decompressed when needed - to render a frame in a particularly busy scene, and needed it to run on a video card with 2GB of RAM. (Mind you, your game doesn't get all of that -the OS, other apps, overhead...)

The crazy part is that it works. And if I say more, our corporate police will likely show up and

CRASH
"Freeze! Step away from the keyboard!"
"Hey, that's my TRON mousepa-"
"SILENCE!"

Uh-hem.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Before we got out of the dog treat biz we were asked to make one that looked like a stick. Decided the easiest way to model it was to have a local artist actually "sculpt" the surface of a model and then have a shop with a white light scanner create the surface data in CAD.

It's amazing what is involved when Man tries to duplicate Nature.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before we got out of the dog treat biz we were asked to make one that looked like a stick. Decided the easiest way to model it was to have a local artist actually "sculpt" the surface of a model and then have a shop with a white light scanner create the surface data in CAD.

It's amazing what is involved when Man tries to duplicate Nature.

I have to ask: any reason they didn't just spray a stick with primer and scan it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I found this:

which, for everything I've measured so far, is dimensionally accurate. The model is slightly low poly,

BUT, everything I've measured so far is correct.

I went ahead and paid the 25 USD for the model and am working on increasing the resolution and smoothness of the fender. When that's complete, I'll CNC a plug out of some foam and compare to the original. Once THAT works, I'll CNC a mold out of foam and lay up some fiberglass. With any luck, I'll wind up with something that fits on the car. One of the lead screws on my router is occasionally binding up, though, so I have to fix that before I can really cut anything. Fingers crossed.

I also captured this (rather rough) scan of the fender I've been working with. The Dr. Pepper boxes are forms for mold flanges.

Not too bad for an iPhone 8 camera and free software.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I love you guys! You keep this forum as interesting as TS and Rob...but in another dimension, of sight and sound (with a tip of the hat to the DJ).

Richard Snipes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts