Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard on the news that looters in New Orleans are moving upscale. They broke into a Cadillac dealership there and stripped the lot clean of ALL cars.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I read that "looters" were at one hospital's parking garage stealing radios and batteries. The choice of a hospital is pretty pathetic. You want to thieve, go thieve from a dealership...

·
Registered
182 Posts
achieftain said:
Just heard on the news that looters in New Orleans are moving upscale. They broke into a Cadillac dealership there and stripped the lot clean of ALL cars.
Won't get far, they can't get any gasoline. :devil:

·
Registered
49 Posts
vandals / thieves

It is a sad day for New Orleans. I think it is time to accept a very bad corps of engineers project and demo the entire city. Dig down 1/2 of it and fill the other half. Make a world class sea port out of it. Require all rebuilding to be above sea level. Use eminent domain to take the property. That levy system looks like a yard fence rather than a damn to me. Good job corps. :(

·
Registered
515 Posts
tls3028 said:
Good job corps. :(
Don't blame the corps, blame the people that told them to build levy system without the funding to do it right.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Have either of you been to New Orleans? If you have, you'd see the need to preserve it. It's a remarkable area.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Chris said:
Don't blame the corps, blame the people that told them to build levy system without the funding to do it right.

The section that failed had been recently upgraded. They were built to withstand a Cat 3 hurricane. Only building to that level was decided back in the early 1990's after a cost benefit analysis.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
solli4me said:
Have either of you been to New Orleans? If you have, you'd see the need to preserve it. It's a remarkable area.
I love the idea of preserving history, etc. But at what cost? And how many times do the taxpayers of the US have to keep rebuilding these places? And how long before a hurricane makes the decision that we should be making?

·
5,600 Posts
Shoot to kill.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
We need the port rebuilt. This time let's spend the money to do it right so we're not going back in 20 years to rebuild it all over again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Lets remember who built New Orleans in the first place, the French. That says it all. Built in the wrong place in the beginning. It should be rebuilt, but only commerical building, no one should live in side the city.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
POTFH said:
Lets remember who built New Orleans in the first place, the French. That says it all. Built in the wrong place in the beginning. It should be rebuilt, but only commerical building, no one should live in side the city.
:agree: If they rebuild it as is, we will go through this again. What if nother hurricane were to hit it within the next few weeks? And why don't they make evacuation mandatory, declare martial law if necessary? This situation wouldn't be as tragic if they had gotten everyone out of there ahead of time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Editguy said:
I love the idea of preserving history, etc. But at what cost? And how many times do the taxpayers of the US have to keep rebuilding these places? And how long before a hurricane makes the decision that we should be making?
How many times should we help California after earthquakes? The midwest after tornados? Face it, no part of this country is safe from natural disasters. If we want to maintain this great country, we have to rebuild.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
jwally said:
How many times should we help California after earthquakes? The midwest after tornados? Face it, no part of this country is safe from natural disasters. If we want to maintain this great country, we have to rebuild.
I agree we should rebuild, but many experts are saying that there are areas that should not be rebuilt in. Would you go build a new house on Mt. St. Helens? Some common sense should apply. Obviously we can't avoid all catastrophes, and I wasn't suggesting that. Just that we find ways to minimize the damge as much as is realistically possible. A small example of what I am saying is demonstrated by what has been done in a few places in AZ. There were developments that were in flood plains, and after rebuilding several times the government compensated them for their property and made them move. And these were areas that involved only property damage, not loss of life. We desperately need to find ways to mitigate the loss of lives and property, that's what I am saying

·
Registered
401 Posts
Editguy said:
I agree we should rebuild, but many experts are saying that there are areas that should not be rebuilt in. Would you go build a new house on Mt. St. Helens? Some common sense should apply. Obviously we can't avoid all catastrophes, and I wasn't suggesting that. Just that we find ways to minimize the damge as much as is realistically possible. A small example of what I am saying is demonstrated by what has been done in a few places in AZ. There were developments that were in flood plains, and after rebuilding several times the government compensated them for their property and made them move. And these were areas that involved only property damage, not loss of life. We desperately need to find ways to mitigate the loss of lives and property, that's what I am saying
:agree:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
And how many times do the taxpayers of the US have to keep rebuilding these places? -Editguy
I'd rather see the funds going to our people in our country right now. How many times do the taxpayers of the US have to keep rebuilding Iraq and other countries?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
solli4me said:
I'd rather see the funds going to our people in our country right now. How many times do the taxpayers of the US have to keep rebuilding Iraq and other countries?
That's anotheer issue, and I won't challenge that it may be a valid issue, but it changes nothing as regards returning people to areas where they will die and where billions of dollars will have to be spent every single time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts