Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only done a few mods to my 06' solstice to include an AEM CAI and a Gperformance chip(Bad Idea). Anyway I've always gotten check engine lights to come on and the code reads something about the throttle body. Recently the car has been going into its power down mode and yesterday it even said in the DIC "Engine Disabled". Now I have left the CAI in there and yesterday i took out the Performance chip and i'm still getting the CEL. I've read some threads and i think i'm going to "reset" the ECU and clean up the TB but if anyone has any other idea on how to make this CEL stop please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the stock air boxes anymore so i'm back to as stock as i can get w/o buying anything. What should i clean the MAF with just a cloth. I'm going to try and figure out what that code is and see if anyone else has had the problem i'm having.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
You can buy a can of MAF sensor cleaner at any auto parts place. You spray it on the MAF and let it air dry. Dont touch it. Dont use any kind of physical contact. It is a fairley delicate thermo couple. The ECM passes current through it and measures the flow (E = I over R) and from that calculates the mass of air entering the intake. It uses this to set the mixture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be picking that up after work. thank you. The code that tripped i found out what it was. P0120, and after looking it up on google i found that there is something wrong with my TB.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Doesn't that "chip" tap into the tb sensor 5 volt refrence line?? It sounds like that splice if what is causing the code to trip. Use a scan tool and read the voltage of the tb. Start at close and cyle to open and look at the voltages. If doesn't full sweep, it is that splice. Let me know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I took off the chip and i reset the ECU using the Fuse Method and The CEL didn't come on for about 2 weeks well just yesterday I told my friend it had been two weeks since and I forgot to knock on wood so what happened on my way home from work yesterday? Yes sir it came on and so did the Power Down Mode. I'm not sure what i should do. I don't have a code reader but I should assume its the "P0120" because in my car's history its the only code that has tripped. I just don't think cleaning the area around the butterfly in the TB is going to fix everything. Does anyone have any other ideas besides the MAF and possibly changing the CAI's filter?

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
CAI... there have been a lot of reports that aftermarket intakes screw with the airflow around the MAF and cause codes. IIRC the only ones that DDM Dave recommends are the GMPP one and Dejon's (and presumably, their own :)). Fujita and others are problematic, apparently.

I would guess this is your issue (the chip is bad too, though!) and you should go back to stock, or at least a recommended CAI.

(Caveat: No personal experience - I could easily be wrong)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts