Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

CAI / Exhaust / Tune: Worth the $?

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  arcticwhtknight 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So I've posted here before that I picked up a super-cheap 2007 N/A to use as my track day car.

I'm hesitant to mod the engine at all since it would, at best, take the car from being a bit slow on the straights to a little bit less slow on the straits. Plus, every cent I save on the Solstice is a cent saved toward my Vette fund!

Having said that, I AM curious about modding the engine. I am curious as to whether folks here think it is worth the money? Looking at, say DDM Works, their CAI is $225, the tune is $400 and an exhaust is >$500. So $1500-2000 for 10-15 HP? This seems like a lot of money!

Thanks!!!

Dave

#2 ·
CAI is pretty add on, that makes noise. Pretty much the same with all of them

Exhaust, I think Robotech said he actually lost horsepower in some areas and gained possibly 5-7 HP over all

The tune for the Redline is awesome, not sure how much HP will be gained on the NA. There may be a few around that can answer that question.

#3 ·
1.Sticky tires for autocross only.
2. Lightweight wheels
3. Upgraded brake pads
4. Free flow catalytic convertor
5. Magnaflow or Solo cat back exhaust
6. Brace bundle (center tunnel brace, rear frame brace, engine brace)
7. ZOK springs & swaybars.
8. Pontiac Solstice Performance Handbookk

#6 ·
2. Lightweight wheels
3. Upgraded brake pads
7. swaybars.
8. Pontiac Solstice Performance Handbookk
Done, and impressions-

before 1. CAI (K&N) ok, no noticeable power breakthrough, sure does sound good and look purdy!

1. (kinda) Nitto sticky road tires. Better than stock by a mile in dry and wet. Helps to hang on once you do the next things

6. brace bundle- probably the first thing to do, as it tightens up the car and makes it a gocart!

6. (b) shocks- added to the brace bundle, more gocart!

7. ZOK sway bars- noticable again- NOW it's a gocart on rails!

4. Cat- my seat-of-the-pants feeling is that the engine spins up faster. Sounds better.

8. Handbook- fun reading, with ideas way over the top for my $$$

3. brake pads- not done yet, but next

2. lightweight wheels- not done yet, maybe someone wants to donate to the cause?? :smile2:

9. exhaust- taking donations for this as well. :grin:

Love the 2.4- following your journey.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Choptop, 1,2,3,6 and 8 are done or in progress....

2. Lightweight wheels
3. Upgraded brake pads
7. ZOK springs & swaybars.
8. Pontiac Solstice Performance Handbook

Sounds like the tune is the first thing to go by the wayside.

Dave

#7 ·
Haven't done it all but I have some
I've got the K&N CAI and the Magnaflow Cat and Exhaust. Definitely feels quicker off the block. Sound is amazing.

Kinda sticky tires as well, Michelin Pilot A/S Sport. My dumb ass let the guy talk me out of Nittos and I didn't even save any $$.

Upgraded Brake pads/rotors/calipers, stop on a dime.

I ordered my Brace Bundle this morning, everyone says it's one of the first things you should do. future update once I get it on.

I guess I have to step up and get my sway bars and shocks now!

#8 ·
As one who went the non boosted route before adding a turbo save your money and if it's real performance you want you need a power adder to make a difference on an NA .I did a GM CAI, Werks Hi Flo cat ,Magnaflo exhaust ,Solo header ,and a tune and it made a difference in the way the car felt it was more responsive a lot of that I attribute to the tune . The biggest difference was the turbo , suspension upgrades especially the DDM brace bundle , and lighter wheels and upgraded tires a totally different car .My advice would be the suspension and tires first than an exhaust including a performance cat and a tune if you don't want to go with a power adder . As mentioned above the CAI is mostly for show with no real gains over a stock set up with some type of performance air filter .

#14 ·
'Ride' is generally seen by owners as how stiff the car is and is directly related to how stiff springs are and what shock settings you have.

Stiffening the chassis so it won't twist as much wouldn't make the ride harsher, nor would increasing lateral weight transfer via heavier sway bars - it just won't lean as much going around corners.

#16 ·
Hi Dave,
I have the DDM Brace package with the 1/2" backbone brace, Michelin pilot super sport tires, AEM CAI, Solo performance header, high flow Cat, and loud cat back system, DDM center feed fuel rail (even if I didn't need it at this point) RPM-Performance stage 2 tune with the 36lb injectors....the tuner will be here tomorrow. I cant wait, I will let you know how it feels after the tune is done!! I do know that the brace package and tires made a huge difference in the handling and I cant wait to get new coil overs!! Love this car! 2007 base N/A with only 49,456 miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.