Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here is one for the old-timers. I have an 09 Coupe now has 1,200 kms on it. It has a GMPP CAI installer on the 2 litre turbo. Since I have driven it very little I have an uncomfortable noise. When I accelerate hard and shift (Manual) I would here this awful vibrating or scraping noise in the front end. If I held it at higher revs then lifted the throttle i would here that same noise. Operating under a heavier load like up a hill in 4th would also create the same noise. I took it to the dealership they were stunned to see a Solstice Coupe, let alone one with only a 1000 kms and a whopping 4 years left on the warranty. After driving with the service advisor and a lot of two person rev and listen we were able to determine if is in fact coming from the CAI. He sent me home and send he would research the problem and bring it back in next week.

I got back to thinking about my old 2.4 2008 NA. I recall it would make a neat sucking(or Blowing) noise from the CAI when I really revved it. This seems similar but the noise is obnoxious and clearly not right. I may take the filter off tommorow and see if it still does it. I am hoping for a bad filter and a ratteling MAF sensor or something.

I will take it apart and have a look before I take it back to the dealer but wondered if anyone here has had a similar problem.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
731 Posts
The sound is normal. Mine does the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
16,547 Posts
The noise is a natural result of removing the factory air box. ALL cold air intakes offer no improvement in performance and allow air noises that were formerly muffled by the factory air box to be heard. Loudly

If it is properly installed, the noise is what you get with the CAI.

If you do not like the sound, go back to the factory air box

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. After a little more research here I found a thread from 2009 that confirms both opinions that it's A) normal as a result of the GMPP CAI and B) an ugly noise.

Rob, I am intersted in your remark that the CAI offers no improvement on performance. Do you mean on the Solstice or in general? I have nothing to compare on the Solstice but on other cars I have dyno'd evidence of a HP gain at least at my elevation.

John

·
Super Moderator
16,547 Posts
Every test I have seen over the course of the past five years shows no measurable improvement from any CAI. Just noise

Early on there was a lot of discussion and cussing. One member instrumented his car and his data said there was no difference in intake air temp with or without a CAI. Many dyno runs have been made and I have yet to see one that demonstrates a measurable improvement. I of course found this out after I installed one

·
Registered
731 Posts
Plus it it make your engine bay look sweet.:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I got that with my PT and when I changed the CAI in the Sol the same sound . I say it sounds like a turkey gobble. Even more so at higher RPM release of the gas . Live with it the engine bay looks better. Bobby

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I love the sound and the look of the CAI. I traded a local guy my stock airbox to get the CAI as he hated the sound. To each their own.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm with you Sly Bob....I'd gladly trade someone my stock airbox for a good CAI. The more I hear the better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts