Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have opinions on what mods can be made to the GXP and be in compliance with California smog regs? I have the (beta install) Magnaflo catback 3", but otherwise stock. Thinking about a tune (GMPP the only one I know for sure is California legal), maybe a high-flow cat, bigger intercooler, etc.

I don't need to be the fastest car around, and don't want to have to do any extensive work prior to a smog test to get it to pass.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
There have been several conversations on this subject on this forum. Hopefully one of the more knowledgable members will volunteer some information.

Most of the conversations I have seen related to legally converting to a V8 and which rules apply.

In colorado as long as you meet the same criteria as the car met from the factory, you are good to go. In fact they are not even allowed to open the hood. They inspect for cats if it came with them and stuff a sniffer up the tail pipes while running it on the prescribed profile on a dyno.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
The intercooler can be replace with no issues, however a high flow cat may not pass.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The larger IC is no problem and the tune is invisible to the smog test (you can turn off the trifecta), but HF cats are not smog legal in CA. They do the sniffer test and visually check for cats/mufflers (inspection), but everything I've read on the HF says that they should pass smog (you might want to contact Steve at Solo and pose that question). Or just wait until AFTER you pass smog to do the install, then it's every 2 years. Mine will be due this November, but that won't stop me from installing the HF-C. I'll likely leave it on and if it fails for the CAT, then I go back home, and switch it out for the OE (cat) and back down for a retest; you get one free retest. Somewhere I read recently that CA is doing away with the sniffer test (probe up your tail pipe).

On EDIT, it's AB2289 on the no snif my rear anymore law :lol:

California has recently passed bill AB 2289 which changes current Smog laws as they are. The main stipulation for this test is that All cars manufactured after 1999 will be exempt from tailpipe readings and instead will rely solely on the OBDII computer to read for any check engine lights and overall engine performance/smog compliance.

In addition, AB2289 does away with Gold Shield station certification and replaces it with a STAR rated (Station and Technician reports) which provides a rating for every smog inspection done by a technician and compiles their scores to give an overall rating for the shop. Gross polluters will be directed to STAR stations with the highest rating.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I'm surprised. That seems awfully un-California. How can they ensure the car is not polluting without a sniffer?

Does that mean the days of requiring carb certified components for mods are done?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
When I wnt to go test last year, magnaflow exhaust was ok, my c.a.i needed a carb sticker,that was it. Rite after I tested I put back my deleted cat back on, till next time. LoL.

·
Registered
612 Posts
When I went to go test last year, magnaflow exhaust was ok, my c.a.i needed a carb sticker,that was it. Rite after I tested I put back my deleted cat back on, till next time. LoL.
Was that your first test? I bought mine in November of 2007 and I thought for sure I would have had to smog it on its 5th year, but nope. so I'm assuming that #6 will be it (this coming November).

You really had to get a CARB approval for the CAI, that's just stupid!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It was the end of 2011 when I tested so the 5th year is rite. I didn't pass the test 1st time had to get the CARB STICKER for the intake from a.e.m to pass. So if you have a pepboys made or some other brand that didn't give you a carb sticker, you will have to get it or switch back to stock.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SOLSTICE_D, thanks for the input. I thought 1st test was at 6 years. I'm due in Nov. By "deleted cat", do you mean you removed the cat? put it back on for test? I see by your sig that you have "dual exhaust" magnaflow. That's dual only after muffler, right?

thanks

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have an empty (gutted) cat, and yes the magnaflow is dual at the muffler.

·
Registered
612 Posts
SOLSTICE_D, thanks for the input. I thought 1st test was at 6 years. I'm due in Nov. By "deleted cat", do you mean you removed the cat? put it back on for test? I see by your sig that you have "dual exhaust" magnaflow. That's dual only after muffler, right?

thanks
Mine was 5 years last November, so if it's 6, then they'll get me in 8 months.

·
Registered
628 Posts
So--- in sort no sniffer for me!? FKN Awesome!! My OBD II stuff is in perfect condition!

ACTUALLY according to my rep at BAR- you MAY have to do the sniffer test because the equipment has not come out yet to perform and OBDII only exam! Best of luck to you if you swap the Cat out and your smog is due this year.

·
Registered
612 Posts
So--- in sort no sniffer for me!? FKN Awesome!! My OBD II stuff is in perfect condition!
Except your ECM records emissions. Never liked the sniffer... always seemed like outside influences could have an adverse affect on your readings, i.e., last car residue.

Somg test should go by the last digit of the vin (ex) odd number odd year even number
even year
That would explain mine, the last character in my s/n is a "1", so this year will be it. (there's something to look forward to!)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Except your ECM records emissions. Never liked the sniffer... always seemed like outside influences could have an adverse affect on your readings, i.e., last car residue.
Yeah, I think you missed the bigger picture...

1st Chances are that by the time you smog (late november) they still be doing the roller test- which includes the darn sniffer.

2nd My point was that ECM emission records are good as well... the only issue my be that my coding shows that my cat in not ready--- I guess I can get beyond that by using an O2 extender.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts