Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to paint my calipers this week & I'd like to get the decals that say "GXP", but I was wondering if anyone out there has applied the decals, where they purchased them, and how they're holding up. Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
hit up tony @asap grafix on here hes a supporting vendor and have a caliper decal kit

Home - ASAPGraphics

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have had them on my car for four years and 20k miles and still look good. Got them from tony @ ASAP

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Has anyone used to brush on paint? Just curious. Saw it listed on a retail site.
If by "brush on" you mean G2 caliper paint, then YES, probably hundreds on these fora alone (incl me, on multiple cars). Works great and generally acknowledged to be the best lasting, certainly of the DIY methods.

Search for G2 paint. Or here... http://www.google.com/search?q=site:solsticeforum.com+solstice+g2+paint

... and here... http://www.google.com/search?q=site:skyroadster.com+g2+paint ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying the High Temperature High Gloss Self Leveling Brush On Red G2 Brake Caliper Paint System Kit and I'm going to purchase the decals from ASAP. Thanks for all the help! :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Wooooo!! :party: post pictures once your done

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
OK, some tips then, gained after doing at least 4 different cars over the years:

- Get spare throw-away brushes (see below)
- Only mix (at most) either 1/4 or 1/3 of the paint and the hardener at once. There'll still be more than enough to do multiple coats on all 4 calipers. (I used 1/4 last time)
- Jack the car +stands at all 4 corners, take all wheels off and PREP PREP PREP the calipers first before painting. Clean so you can eat food off them. Mask off what you don't want to paint. Be sure to rough up the surfaces with a steel brush or sandpaper. Prep is everything here. Remember prep!
- You WILL need multiple coats. G2 flows so well that it tends to not cover the edges and mold marks very well (flows off, actually). So at least 2-3 coats required, maybe more. I stipple the paint on rather than brush. The marks flow out anyway, but it tends to cover better.
- With one portion of your mix, start at wheel one, do a coat, move to next wheel, do a coat, and so on so that by the time you get back to wheel 1 you can do the second coat.
- Leave a few hours to set up, and if necessary, start again with a new portion-mix of the paint. You'll need a new brush (see above :))
- You should be left with plenty of unmixed paint for future scratch touch-ups (if reqd)
- Oh, and remember to prep well.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
While you are waiting, go buy another can or two of brake cleaner. If you clean them properly, you're gonna need more than the can that comes in the box.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prep, extra brushes, prep, multiple coats, prep, extra brake cleaner, prep, prep, prep,... finally ENJOY! Thanks for all the info! Good stuff!!!

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
How did you folks that brush painted your calipers work around the pad clips and the wire clip on the rears?
Mask off what you can't move. Move what you can (incl the wire clips at the back).

Which reminds me (and I bet Bob will attest) be VERY CAREFUL when you replace those rear wire clips after painting. Keep them pulled out and clear of the paint before guiding back into their little peg-holes, else you WILL scratch your new paint! (Ahem, or so I've heard, cough.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Caliper paint came in this morning... but I can't start today! It's just wayyyy too breezy outside & I'm afraid that all the dust & pollen will stick to the wet paint. Think it'll be okay to at least scrub them today or should I just wait??

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay so I'm a spaz! I painted them today after all & I couldn't be happier w/the results. I was pressured for time though. When they say that the paint will begin to harden in the can after 6hrs they aren't kidding around. It took me just about 6.5hrs to do everything b/c I don't have the luxury of good jack & stands, so I had to do it one caliper @ a time. Basically it was jack (used the jack from my Si),remove tire, scrub & wax the inside of the wheel, prep, paint, reinstall tire X four. By the time I went around & did some "touch up" the paint was tacky as hell & getting "stringy". Next step--decals from Tony.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Uh, ya… should have definitely sprung $50 for some stands...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts