Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 pontiac solstice cool silver
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have a cool (silver) solstice and i’ve been thinking about painting my calipers but have no idea which color to go with
Any suggestions would help

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Red would go well with silver. Yellow, possibly (though the combination is not to my taste). Silver and black would disappear. Gold is a possibility, but distant 2nd/3rd.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,545 Posts
thats kinda like asking what size shape woman is best.....eye too have that car & wicked coupe be sure to post pics when done. I kinda like the silver ones on my 06.

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
231 Posts
Lime green like Porsche hybrid? Bright blue like Buick Regal GS?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I'm going with GM's Shock color over the winter. My IC piping, valve cover, and ddm braces are going to be powder coated in Shock...

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Red on the passenger side and blue on driver's side!

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,811 Posts
Since this is a subjective topic and you are asking for opinions..
Don’t take my advice as I am partial to subtle-ish hi-lights, but I like the black with the silver.
I think that the lime green on the Porsche are an abomination (and they usually get their colors right)
And red is pretty standard though it does “pop” nicely. It is nicer when it ties to something else on the car to give it continuity… but when it doesn’t, it draws out the irregularities in color..

for example if your car is silver and black (likely as the plastic and rubber bits tend to be black on these cars) and you go with a red caliper, the eye will tend to seek out it companion on the car (color wise).
If there is no other red on the car, the eye would be drawn to the orange of the side marker lights next.

since that color (orange) already doesn’t play nicely with the existing silver / black scheme, you have effectively drawn the eye towards two colors that are not congruent in the look of the car and away from the cars natural beauty in its curvy lines and shape.

thus actually taking away from the strong aesthetic of the original design by pointing out the moles on her face…

-or-
Go with what makes you happy :)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I did the caliper mounting frames in gloss black and the calipers in red. Don't forget to get the solstice letters to put on before the clear coat

·
Registered
663 Posts
I find painted calipers don't age well once brake dusts and grease accumulate. Nothing like seeing a nice set of wheels distracted by dirty ratty looking painted calipers. For me it's either go full on Brembo-style caliper blocks or stay stock.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I usually spray my calipers with something called 'rebuilder's gray'. It makes them look like a raw casting but they don't rust, which would be unsightly. I've never found the wildly contrasting colours some use to be at all attractive.

And as pointed out, newly painted calipers will look decent for about a week, after which they will just look dirty.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I usually spray my calipers with something called 'rebuilder's gray'. It makes them look like a raw casting but they don't rust, which would be unsightly. I've never found the wildly contrasting colours some use to be at all attractive.

And as pointed out, newly painted calipers will look decent for about a week, after which they will just look dirty.
I used
G2 Brake Caliper Paint System Set
4 years ago and still looks like new!

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,545 Posts
that rebuilders paint is a rebuild in a can...oh the crap &ve seen that shops claim is rebuilt, but in reality it's barley cleaned and sometimes a little machine work then spray painted to look like raw cast iron.its' the only paint Ive seen that you can paint a glob of greese or oil& crud. it probably would work good for caliper paint.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I just purchased some Dupli-Color Red caliper paint and am excited to see how that turns out in the next few weeks! (hopefully!)

·
Premium Member
8,262 Posts
Hey,
I have a cool (silver) solstice and i’ve been thinking about painting my calipers but have no idea which color to go with
Any suggestions would help

·
Premium Member
8,262 Posts
My cool has electric blue calipers

Reactions: TomatoSoup
1 - 20 of 25 Posts