Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
My understanding is that, typically, TC is spark and/or fuel cut, while stability control is selective brake application to, as rob said, keep the car pointed forward. The latter shouldn't be affected by more power, unless the CPU is really a POS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well maybe the 4cyliders Kappa with either upgraded turbo wheel like mine and others with larger turbos the torque which is usually 350 or higher makes the rear tires with TC on, not only light up but the back end gets pretty tail happy.
:agree:

And I stand by my statement.
>:)

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I have two V8 Sols at the moment and only those who own them can appreciate the sound they make when the ignition key is turned. It never get old. LS2 Charity Car will be completed inside of 30 days and is for sale.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Im no expert but since TC relies on spark and/or fuel cut,regardless of HP/Tq, you should notice when this comes on as long as it is functioning properly, correct?

Since stability control is selective brake application I guess you could overpower your braking system and get as much wheel spin as desired. If this is the case shouldnt you should be checking your rotors, pads and calipers for excess wear or damage?

Either way it seems like something is wrong with your car and it should be checked.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
If this is the case shouldnt you should be checking your rotors, pads and calipers for excess wear or damage?
I had a C5 'vette a LONG time ago that I believe was one of the first models with so-called "Active Handling," which was labeled as a separate system from the traction control. The brake application is pretty light - it's just another way that the computer can limit slip on individual wheels, and shouldn't increase wear by any significant factor. If that system is kicking in often enough to trash your brakes, you're probably doing it wrong.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Traction control..meh. First thing I do when I get in the car is turn it off.
It's nearly analogous to guns and full-automatic fire. Noobs mash on the trigger (like this) and never modulate it or compensate, experienced people know what trigger control is and maintain control under full-automatic fire (like this).

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
It's nearly analogous to guns and full-automatic fire. Noobs mash on the trigger (like this) and never modulate it or compensate, experienced people know what trigger control is and maintain control under full-automatic fire (like this).
Haha! I know a few of those all or nothing guys....their stuff seems to be broke a lot.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Shaun are you coming to Nationals this year? I would love to see your car!! I saw at the shop last year when I picked up mine!

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
Im no expert but since TC relies on spark and/or fuel cut,regardless of HP/Tq, you should notice when this comes on as long as it is functioning properly, correct?

Since stability control is selective brake application I guess you could overpower your braking system and get as much wheel spin as desired. If this is the case shouldnt you should be checking your rotors, pads and calipers for excess wear or damage?

Either way it seems like something is wrong with your car and it should be checked.
When the TC cuts in, the motor basically goes from WOT to idle. You are not overpowering anything.

The SC works by applying differential front braking. It does not impact the TC.

Basically the GXP or cars with LSD has three systems that help maintain traction.

1) the driver
2) the mechanical LSD
3) the computer that executes the TC software

Its never been an issue for me. In fact, the worst thing that has happened to me is making a quick start and having the car nose dive when the TC cuts the power. You can selectively enable more or less overwatch from the TC

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
When the TC cuts in, the motor basically goes from WOT to idle. You are not overpowering anything.

The SC works by applying differential front braking. It does not impact the TC.

Basically the GXP or cars with LSD has three systems that help maintain traction.

1) the driver
2) the mechanical LSD
3) the computer that executes the TC software

Its never been an issue for me. In fact, the worst thing that has happened to me is making a quick start and having the car nose dive when the TC cuts the power. You can selectively enable more or less overwatch from the TC
Thats what I thought. I was a little confused by the "SC/TC cant handle my power!" statements.

Shaun are you coming to Nationals this year? I would love to see your car!! I saw at the shop last year when I picked up mine!
I would love to make the national event one of these days. Not sure if it will happen this year.

·
Premium Member
10,307 Posts
If you have a Dyno chart on your V8 look and see where you have full torque, this should give you an idea vs the 4cyl tuned turbo cars.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Max Torque even on the stock turbo with the LNF upgrade tune is at 3000rpms.
Add 100torque to that and that's how you can spin the wheels and kick out the rear before TC can kick in and do anything about it.
Anyone with one of these turbo setups can easily demonstrate it and there is nothing wrong with their driving or the car.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Max Torque even on the stock turbo with the LNF upgrade tune is at 3000rpms.
Add 100torque to that and that's how you can spin the wheels and kick out the rear before TC can kick in and do anything about it.
Anyone with one of these turbo setups can easily demonstrate it and there is nothing wrong with their driving or the car.
I think, like a lot of other people here I have to call BS on this one. That, or there is something wrong with the traction control on your car. I "only" have have a little over 300 whp and around 330 wtq after my mods and traction control kicks in almost intermediately when I start to spin the tires. Now, if I turn off my TC I can easily spin the tires going into and maybe even through third gear. For your car to behave the way you are reporting it either doesn't have TC and SC or you have it turned off or disabled. Regardless of how quickly an engine can build horsepower/torque a computer that measures things hundreds of times a second is always going to be quicker at shutting it down, and when functioning correctly, that is how the systems on our cars work.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm not the only saying it. So it isn't just my car. My last post was to extend LVs and demonstrate where the TQ hits. The larger turbo kits hit in a similar area but with more power. I did not experience this while on the GMPP. That was controlled by the TC fine. Or when I had just the 2871. Adding E47 to the 2871 and now running an EFR on it has me in a power range in which I can spin 275s on the rears until it hits the redline.
I personally know of at least 4 other large turbos that can recreate this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I say since this had turned into a Traction control discussion in stead of what the intended poster was wanting. That we can agree that we all have what we experience when using traction control. And I it is very interesting that there are different experiences. Which make for an interesting discussion. But getting back to is it worth it or not, I think you have heard from most of us V8 owners that it is all in what you want and like. Most say it is that V8 sound, which I have to cast my vote and say yes that does it for me too! And just the unique and wow factor when I go to car meets, lends to having fun discussions with others that ask questions. The number 1 question I get is, how did that engine fit in there, or I bet that was a bear to squeeze in, what did you have to change to make it fit. Most can't believe that I pretty much sets in with changes to the motor mounts and location. But I enjoy what PAW had created for me and it is definately fun to drive.

·
Registered
325 Posts
HotScott, I agree with both points, I think the V8 sound is one of the main reasons I wanted one, to me it is the equivalent of a modern Shelby Cobra, but with roll up windows (power), A/C, a sound system ect..... I think it attracts the same type of people. I don't have any issue with Hopping up the stock 4 cylinders engines, but you could call me old school (or just old) I do like the sound and feel of a V-8 engine. Not to mention the low end torque!

I have owned some Turbo charged cars, a 86 Tbird and a 87 Grand national, I also own a 2012 F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, all good cars but it is a different driving experience compared to a healthy V8 engine.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
Some additional thoughts.

Some people have a totally different feeling about driving a Solstice as a V8 vrs a straight 4. It has to do with the totality of the experience. It has a different feel which initially is very different from the stock car that you loved before the conversion. The throttle response is totally different in my experience. If like my car the exhaust is designed to be loud, the sound and gut feeing of the car is totally different. It felt to me somewhat dangerous and less forgiving. It took me a long time to become comfortable with the feel and power of the car. Once I got used to it, driving a stock car now feels strange and is less enjoyable but it took a while to become readjusted.

In my case and I believe in at least a few others, the arrival home from the conversion process is the beginning of the rest of the modification process. I ended up modifying the cooling system, the tune, the tires, the brake pads and in the end pulled out the entire interior and laid down thermal / sound insulating blanket. All to make the car more user friendly and functional.

Once you have the car home you need to deal with the fact that you have a lot of money invested in what is basically a 7-8 year old used car. Every time I took my car out of the safe zone of the garage I had a sense of dread about what a dangerous world it is out there. Even if you don't get hit by some moron on the road, there are hail storms, parking lot dings, flying debris on the road etc. When you are in a $15000 car that has grown used gracefully its one thing. When you are in a $50000 car that has had a lot of love invested into it, its a totally different experience. I ended up shopping for agreed value insurance and currently carry replacement cost for the car but prior to that I was basically self insured.

In my case, the car must pass emission tests every two years. Initially that was a serious challenge. Once we got the tune sorted, it has been easy but its another concern.

Now that I am several years into living with the converted car, I am very happy with it and greatly enjoy driving it and showing it off at car shows and other events.

As long as you enter the process with a full understanding you can make good decisions.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts