Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new here. Just bought an 08 2.4 Sol with 61k miles used from a dealer. It's day 3 and the first issue pops up. I drive on my lunch break to get food and head back to work. (Im waiting a bit in the drive through for my food, 15 mins in 95F temps?) Go back to work and park it. 40 mins later a buddy comes up and tells me my car is leaking. Sure enough I go out and a huge puddle of coolant is leaking. I couldn't determine the source but I leave it until I'm off, then come back out 3 hours later and start it up. Low coolant light is on and I'm watching temps. I decide to drive home any way and on my 30 miles home temps didn't pass 207F. I just added more dexcool and it seems okay- what do you guys think? Is this the infamous water pump issue I keep reading about? I LOVE the car but should I try to fight the dealer to return it? I was super excited but now slightly discouraged, I don't have a shop for any big work. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
classic symptom of the water pump issue. AND, it has been known to 'come & go ', depending on the mood of the seal

Reactions: showtime

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
classic symptom of the water pump issue. AND, it has been known to 'come & go ', depending on the mood of the seal
appreciate the quick response! Hoping the dealership will get it taken care of when I take it in tomorrow. Kinda worried they'll "diagnose it" and say nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's a nice Solstice. Don't be discouraged, even if you have to bite the bullet on this repair. And stop eating fast food. Kidding. But not really. Have fun with your 'new' Solstice.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I agree that you can have these issues with any 12 year old used car. The water pump issue tends to happen more to GXP's, but it does also happen to the 2.4 engines.

Did you take any pictures to show the dealer? It might help if the problem does not happen when they see it.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Look at your hoses too. could be as simple as that. If most of the coolant was on the ground under the right side forward part of the engine, It's probably the pump. Chicken is right too, make sure your mechanic knows how to do the job, many don't. The gear tool is a must!

·
Super Moderator
16,268 Posts
There are videos on YT that you can watch. They are very educational. I have done one and while it was tedious its not difficult. Took two of us 9 hours to complete on a 2.0. The pumps have gone through a couple of upgrades and the newer ones are apparently longer lived.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
Thermostats have been an issue on some 2.4 cars I know , sounds like maybe it stuck and the car may have overheated .I would replace the thermostat (get a quality one like a Stant or AC Delco ) and replace your antifreeze with GM spec DexCool also check your hoses while doing this .You should replace the antifreeze every 5 years and if your handy the thermostat is not hard to do there is a few threads on this did you get any kind of warranty on the car normally a basic one is 30 days . Good luck !

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
You all are telling him is the water pump, but it could be something as simple as the drain hose since he sat for 15 minutes at idle, so the temp could have gone over 230 or more and once he park the car it bubble out of the drain hose, just saying, please check the hoses before you go into the water pump deal.

Reactions: rebootrespawn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone so much for the replies! It's awesome to see how active and helpful this community is- I am very excited to be a part.
That being said I just got back from the dealer (sat there for 4 hours) and they confirmed it was the water pump. $1100 fix quoted but luckily I did opt for the $2100 100k warranty and it's covering it in full as well as a rental until it's done. Once again everything thank you so much! If anyone is interested in details, I'll try to get more when they call me back in.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
remember to confirm that they have the special tool for the water pump replacement !

here is some historical how-to reading -> water pump replacment how too

what the tool looks like:
Water Pump Sprocket Holder For GM Ecotec:

GM water pump sprocket holding tool (J43651)

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
That being said I just got back from the dealer (sat there for 4 hours) and they confirmed it was the water pump. $1100 fix quoted but luckily I did opt for the $2100 100k warranty and it's covering it in full as well as a rental until it's done.
Is this a GM dealer or a used car dealer? If it is GM, they should have the tool and know how to use it. If it is just a used car dealer with a mechanic shop out back, I agree with the others, you need to make sure they have the special tool and know what they are doing.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Is this a GM dealer or a used car dealer? If it is GM, they should have the tool and know how to use it. If it is just a used car dealer with a mechanic shop out back, I agree with the others, you need to make sure they have the special tool and know what they are doing.
Had mine replaced at the Pontiac dealer that I bought the car at. They did not use or know about the tool. I ended up with a noisy timing belt. I was not happy. Make sure they know about the tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, new here. Just bought an 08 2.4 Sol with 61k miles used from a dealer. It's day 3 and the first issue pops up. I drive on my lunch break to get food and head back to work. (Im waiting a bit in the drive through for my food, 15 mins in 95F temps?) Go back to work and park it. 40 mins later a buddy comes up and tells me my car is leaking. Sure enough I go out and a huge puddle of coolant is leaking. I couldn't determine the source but I leave it until I'm off, then come back out 3 hours later and start it up. Low coolant light is on and I'm watching temps. I decide to drive home any way and on my 30 miles home temps didn't pass 207F. I just added more dexcool and it seems okay- what do you guys think? Is this the infamous water pump issue I keep reading about? I LOVE the car but should I try to fight the dealer to return it? I was super excited but now slightly discouraged, I don't have a shop for any big work. Any advice is welcome, thanks!
Sounds like the classic water pump issue you've been reading about. Learned about it here 7yrs ago, 5 mos after buying my black 2006 2.4 & the water pump dumped antifreeze on the pavement. I thought, "Oh, boy. What have i gotten myself into?" but it's been pretty great since then. It's a design issue & the replacement water pumps "should" have higher strength bearings. Don't get cold feet yet. My Jetta water pump broke & was 4x the cost to fix. I gave it away for nothing because I didn't even think about it anymore anyway. Impractical? Hell yes! I drive my Sol every day & wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do yourself a favor whether you change the pump or you pay someone to do it. tell them to replace the thermostat, you can drill a hole in the edge of the thermostat. A really small hole, it will not effect the car heating up to temperature but it will let air get past the thermostat instead of having it build up and air bind the system.
You can either do that or you can put on a thick leather glove and when the car gets to temp you will want to take the upper radiator hose and squeeze it like a pump. I know saying this is going to lead to peoples minds being in the gutter but here goes..squeeze that thing hard and fast. You have to get enough umph behind the coolant to push the air through. What makes it so hard to get the air out is air compresses and the coolant doesn't. DO NOT DRIVE the car until you can keep the engine temps in the normal range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last year I had to put a water pump on my '08 with only 30,000 miles. So with that I would call it an age related - needed repair - if not because you have twice the mileage I have. I took mine to GMC and it was right at $1000 for a water pump done by people who know whats what with a two year warranty.
If it was a reputable new car dealership you might ask them for a 'no deal' refund or to do a repair for selling you a car with a known defect, or maybe a 'lemon law' or like that. If not you're probably out of luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts