Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Last year I had to put a water pump on my '08 with only 30,000 miles. So with that I would call it an age related - needed repair - if not because you have twice the mileage I have. I took mine to GMC and it was right at $1000 for a water pump done by people who know whats what with a two year warranty.
If it was a reputable new car dealership you might ask them for a 'no deal' refund or to do a repair for selling you a car with a known defect, or maybe a 'lemon law' or like that. If not you're probably out of luck.

That's right about the mileage mine failed at as well. about 4 years ago. a few months after that went my HPFP went bad. I managed to limp the car home at < 20 miles an hour.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What an interesting thread! I guess I've been pretty lucky since I bought my NA Solstice last August. I only had to replace the Cam Position Actuators which I did myself for about $35. I've put 12K miles on the car since I bought it and now is just passed 60K. I have a OBDLink app on my iPhone and among other things I created a coolant temperature analog gauge as the digital display on the Solstice is very hard to read. Normal temps are like 196 to 205 with occasional excursions to 214 but very rarely. Don't ever mix the Orange DexCool coolant with green ethylene glycol. They don't mix and they form to create a gel like substance that will cause problems with your cooling system. Our cars are old and the coolant provides lubrication for the water pump. You need to flush and replace your coolant so that the coolant properties will continue to protect your water pump bearings and seal. It's very cheap maintenance.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts