Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here - and like many of you I am Jonesing for one of these babies! I recently did the plant drive-by on 7/16 and saw three car carriers loaded with vehicles, but they didn't have any of the protectve wrap on them so I doubt they were going anywhere. Wife was just not enjoying the moment as much as I was so driving around wasn't much of an option.

But to my question - I've seen some pictures posted with people sitting in them. I'm a big guy - 6 foot, 280lbs. Will I even fit in this thing???

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well since car's don't really exist yet except in limited testing basis not many people really know. A good test would be to find a Z3/Z4 and sit in one of those. They're both within about 1 inch of the headroom of the Solstice (the Solstice actually has 1 inch more then them).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm about that size and I have been able to slide into Z3/4 Miata and mr2 with little or no difficulty. S2000 for whatever reason was a little narrow though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I drive an Miata MX5 right now and the leg room is about the same. My husband is just short of 6 foot. the head room is great but he complains about the pedals being to close for his feet and he is not very comfortable on long rides.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you seen when the Solstice was first introduced, Rick Wagnor (GM CEO) drove the car onto the stage. Rick is 6'-4" and is probably about 230lbs (maybe more). He seemed to fit in the car good.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm on the other side of the height issue. I'm wondering how having the seat in the foward position will look. All photos so far show the car with both seats back as far as they can go. It's going to lose some of the continuity of those nice curves on the trunk, I think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I will go check out a Z3. My boss has the MR2 and the fit was a bit tight on the passenger side but then again I had my luggage in my lap as he was driving me to the airport!

·
Registered
753 Posts
i sat in the solstice . i'm not as big as you (6' 180 lb) but just as tall. the solstice cabin seems a good bit wider than the miata or s2000. the solstice seats have bolstered sides but the seating surface were fairly wide also, not like the the honda s2000 that i fit, but had very little 'wiggle room' in the seat. i think that the solstice might be a better choice than other roadsters if you are a larger person

·
Registered
58 Posts
my friend sat in it and fit; he is 6'4. He was looking to buy a roadster so he wanted to check the sol out. he also sat in a miata, z4, and a s2000; the olny one he fit in was the z4.
also my father fits and he is 6 foot and 290lbs

·
Registered
285 Posts
5' 9" Short (29") inseam about 200lbs, I fit no problem. Plenty of side to side and legroom. I will say my eyes were close(r) to the top of the windshield then I'm used to but not a problem. As far as shifting \ pedal palcement excellent! My buddy is close to the same build and the two of us fit side by side and didn't feel to close for macho comfort :lol: Seriously we didn't feel crammed in or anything.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm 6' and about 240lbs. I have to take my cell phone and PocketPC out of my pockets to fit in the car. Too bad there is no good place to put these, so they just go flying around the cabin!

·
Registered
64 Posts
NytLyt said:
I'm 6' and about 240lbs. I have to take my cell phone and PocketPC out of my pockets to fit in the car. Too bad there is no good place to put these, so they just go flying around the cabin!
Enjoy the ride and leave that junk at home ;)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Sydney said:
I'm on the other side of the height issue. I'm wondering how having the seat in the foward position will look. All photos so far show the car with both seats back as far as they can go. It's going to lose some of the continuity of those nice curves on the trunk, I think.
Yeah, I'm 5'6 and I don't want to move the seat up much... but I hope they can be moved up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
timmyzthree said:
Enjoy the ride and leave that junk at home ;)
Sadly, I need to carry all that junk for work every day...wish I could leave it at home!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Bad news...You won't FIT!

I won't go into details of HOW I got into a Solstice today....but I will tell you the results:

Remember, I'm 6'3", 265#'s (lost 25 #'s for this damn car). My inseam is 34".

For me, There was no room to lift my left leg to work the clutch. Ass room: Plenty, Headroom: Plenty, Arms/Shoulders: OK room...and the seats were very nice and soft (softer than the G6 that I had as a rental).

There was ABSOLUTELY NO wiggle room for my left leg. Right leg was OK...but if you can't work the clutch...you can't drive it. And I don't want an automatic!

Yes, the seat was all the way back and tilted back as well.

Damn, the car looked so good too!

So, now what? Work a deal with the dealership to trade my order for someone that wants to pay over list? Try to make a $ on this deal? Ebay?

One last option...lose another 20#'s take my shoes off and try again?

The person who let me in the car (it was running by the way, I could have taken off if I could work the damn clutch!) said that I couldn't lose enough weight to fix this left leg problem!

...Guess I'm taking the Riv for a run this weekend to deal with my disapointment!

RadRiv...

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
What about a modification to the cluctch arm/pedal?.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
5 foot 11, 220 lbs, driver side is fine. Passenger side has less leg room. Had to find the right mix between seat tilt and seat aft. In other words, it's tighter than an SUV. You'll need to find the right tilt/distance balance. It's a sports car, not a 300 mlie Lexus.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts