Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have found that an over abundance of people can not pronounce the word Solstice. We get the feeling many people have never heard the word before in their lives, ever, let alone know what it means. Now before someone reponds with "what do you expect living in Ohio," there are some smart people in Ohio :lol:. Seriously, some of our friends are very smart well read people, and they have difficulty saying Solstice properly. We get things like:

Soul-tee
Soul-tie
Soul-siss
Sol-tise
Soul-stick
Soul-tis

Even after we correct them, they simply have a hard time pronouncing Soul-Stiss.

The best was a radio comercial I heard for a Fairborn Ohio Pontiac dealer. The guy on the radio said something like, "Hurry in this Friday ONLY for your chance to see the all new Pontiac Soul-Tee!" It made me crack up. :lol:

Is anyone else having this issue?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,964 Posts
Yep! Everyone I work with are college edumacated-now they just ask if I've heard anything about 'the car'. They quite trying to say it!! Most ended up spitting out something close to Sol-list. After I told them no, the Sol-list is the SolSTICE forum, they looked dazed and confused.

:willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
I had a customer come in and say "I want to see one of dem solicitations"


It took me several minutes to figure out what he wanted. I thought he was talking about an ad.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,849 Posts
Where's Mitch when you need him? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
This is a pretty funny thread...I experienced this very phenomenon while tailgating at a Redskins game a few weeks ago...my buddy kept talking about my Salstice....to which point someone (other then myself) said, it's a S.O.L.S.T.I.C.E.!!!

We ended up the conversation (of course we were in our drunkn' ways by now) by proclaiming to pass chips while in the salstice...maybe it was one of those had-to-be-there moments...we all got a good laugh over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Bonzo said:
Now before someone reponds with "what do you expect living in Ohio,"
No, the entire planet is infested with these kinds of morons that cannot pronounce an elementary level vocabulary word. ;)

A lady I work with STILL says "Sol-tice" as in ICE. :nonod:
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
dori-san said:
No, the entire planet is infested with these kinds of morons that cannot pronounce an elementary level vocabulary word. ;)

A lady I work with STILL says "Sol-tice" as in ICE. :nonod:
Ignorance is abundant. I teach college and had an entire room full of freshmen and sophomores, none of whom knew the word "precipice". (My 17-year old daughter did, however. :) ) It then would come as NO surprise that people would not know the word "solstice",much less its pronunciation or meaning.

My experience with the last few years of students is simply that they do not read anything for pleasure beyond IM's and video game instructions. :( :yesnod:

'Tis a sad state of affairs.

--Chemist (whose dream life is a cabin in the mountains (with my wife, of course! ;) ) with a twisty road to drive my Sol and weekly UPS deliveries of food and books! )
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
Directions?

Video games come with directions?
I thought they just played them. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chemist said:
--Chemist (whose dream life is a cabin in the mountains (with my wife, of course! ;) ) with a twisty road to drive my Sol and weekly UPS deliveries of food and books! )
BEER! You forgot to have them deliver BEER!!!! Or since you ARE the Chemist, are you just going to brew your own? :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
This reminded me of a friend who used to drive a Merkur XR4TI if anyone remembers those. I borrowed it one day and a girl at work said "Hey, I like your new 'Exerati' " :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,252 Posts
I guess nobody remembers (maybe they weren't even taught) their basic 6th grade science - about the changing of the seasons?

The Summer "Solstice" or the Winter "Solstice"

Either of two times of the year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator. The summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere occurs about June 21, when the sun is in the zenith at the tropic of Cancer; the winter solstice occurs about December 21, when the sun is over the tropic of Capricorn. The summer solstice is the longest day of the year and the winter solstice is the shortest.

Maybe they should ask their kids how to pronounce it! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
I haven't experienced a single person with the pronounciation issue... and I hang around 16-21 year olds all day.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,252 Posts
No "memory" problem

Fortimir said:
I haven't experienced a single person with the pronounciation issue... and I hang around 16-21 year olds all day.
Unlike "older" folks I guess they don't have any memory problems regarding their science classes- huh? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Fortimir said:
I haven't experienced a single person with the pronounciation issue... and I hang around 16-21 year olds all day.
Yeah, but could they spell it?? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
RWSimmons said:
Yeah, but could they spell it?? :)
Yeah...the spelling would be sltc...LOL!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Solstice is such a basic science term that I know I learned in at least elementary school. I also get this from people too all the time. It just doesn't make any sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
Chemist said:
My experience with the last few years of students is simply that they do not read anything for pleasure beyond IM's and video game instructions. :( :yesnod:

'Tis a sad state of affairs.

--Chemist (whose dream life is a cabin in the mountains (with my wife, of course! ;) ) with a twisty road to drive my Sol and weekly UPS deliveries of food and books! )
You are absolutely correct, sir! It really is sad. Even very bright students seem to be avoidig reading like the plague. I think part of the problem is that they are saturated with media and technology, and reading seems old fashioned. I believe it's also a big part of why they write so poorly. Those two basic skills go hand-in-hand. I remember getting in trouble as a kid for reading with a flashlight under the blankets. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
whitefang said:
Video games come with directions?
I thought they just played them. :lol:
U hav 2 b abl 2 rd t gam tps. :lol:

slyfox said:
This reminded me of a friend who used to drive a Merkur XR4TI if anyone remembers those. I borrowed it one day and a girl at work said "Hey, I like your new 'Exerati'
And the proper pronunciation of Mare-Coor (as the official line was).

I related once, I believe, my amazement and wild wonder why the wonderful group the Inks never had airplay, and why I could not find discography from In Excess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I haven't noticed any literary difficulty in the area in which I reside if one had never read anything more than their cereal box in the morming they should be able to figure Solstice out . Now I must go outside and hang up a few Christmas ointments after all tis the season.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top