Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...between the intake and exhaust cam timing solenoids? Besides the part number and a 10 cent difference in price, is there any significant difference between the two?

Was having an issue and needed to replace the intake solenoid. Went to the auto parts store to get it and decided just to swap out both solenoids. Bought them, took them home and opened up the hood. I removed both solenoids from their respective boxes and laid them on the cowl. Removed the exhaust solenoid pigtail and swapped the solenoid. Went to go do the intake side and noticed the little plastic clip on the pigtail was broken and the connector just slid right off. Anyways, swapped out the solenoid and zip tied the connector in place and went to the Chevy dealer to get the pigtail. The parts guy asked me if it was for the intake or exhaust solenoid. I said what difference does it make. Well he said that they are two different solenoids.

This is when I realized that I never looked to see which solenoid went to which side. I mean they looked identical and I assumed they were the same. Now I could have just ended up putting them on the proper sides by chance, and the car has been running fine with no codes. I'm just wondering if I should pull them and look for a part number or something that would tell me they are where they belong for peace of mind.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
On my car (at least) the one with the black plastic connector top is the exhaust/passenger side. The light beige-grey top one is the intake/driver side.

UPDATE: Found this image on google, also:

·
Registered
728 Posts
On my car (at least) the one with the black plastic connector top is the exhaust/passenger side. The light beige-grey top one is the intake/driver side.

UPDATE: Found this image on google, also:

:agree::agree: In fact I just had both of mine replaced, along with "other" internal components for a tranny issue...:willy: that's exactly how they looked like in my NA, one grey the other black..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to look at the old solenoids when I get home but I don't remember them being two different colors. They both had a plastic body where as the replacements both have metal bodies. And both replacement solenoids have the same color tops.

My main concern is if the solenoids are different or work differently, and I have them on the wrong cams, that there may be other consequences. I'm pretty ignorant about OHC motors with variable cam timing. This car and my Mustang are not the push rod motors that I am used to working on. I've learned a lot about the Mustang's systems because I'm constantly tinkering with it, but this car has not ever needed anything but plugs and oil/fluids.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I wouldn't call yourself "ignorant" by any means, the fact that you are here looking for answers is a sign of a "higher intelligence"...
And to answer your question, yes, if you remove them and lay them down side by side, they look identical in my humble opinion.. the questions is ARE they identical, if so why the 2 different colored connectors? AND, the biggie, why 2 part numbers? that's the question..:thumbs: In my experience 2 part numbers is the trigger. I have seen many parts that look identical, BUT they are not..some even with the same part number..sometimes rev levels get involved, or a new part number to a new improved part.. so in conclusion, do you have the correct part in the correct hole? My question is, iboth of your parts have black plastic, one with not grey connector, bought form a 3rd party parts store, I would assume you have 2 exhaust solenoids.. I would be suspicious of the setup. These items OEM solenoids are not expensive expensive, even amazon sells them, the key is having the latest part numbers which I believe I have, [ame]http://www.amazon.com/12655421-Camshaft-Position-Actuator-Solenoid/dp/B00F675WNW[/ame]
AND [ame]http://www.amazon.com/12655420-Camshaft-Position-Actuator-Solenoid/dp/B00F675VI8[/ame] , as you can see in intake amazon has and is selling is grey.... To me, even today they look identical to me...also I believe they are also identical for the NA's and the turbos..

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
My car is currently 2200 miles away, but have you tried reversing the connector plugs on the 2 solenoids. I would suspect that the plugs are indexed in such a way that you can only install the correct connector plug on each solenoid. The solenoids might well be functionally identical, but it is still critical to ensure you have the correct control wires going to them (and with no fault codes, I would suspect you have them installed and wired correctly).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I think they are in the right spots because I don't have any codes and the car is running like a champ. Probably got it right by chance. Taken her all the way through the rpm range to redline at different throttle positions without any hiccups.

I got the parts from O'reilly's and the receipt and the boxes have different part numbers. The receipt lists them as intake and exhaust. I just didn't look at which solenoid came out of which box. I will check the connectors but they look the same if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post up if anything exciting happens.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Just looking at end-on photos on RockAuto, and MeanGxp is correct, the connectors are keyed differently.

So if you got the wires plugged in, then you got them the right way round :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
To avid this issue on the solenoid on the left I tied a zip tie that way I new which one which. Or if you have the plastic cover on it kinda presses on the wire that it develops memory and if you cross the wires they would look different.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just looking at end-on photos on RockAuto, and MeanGxp is correct, the connectors are keyed differently.

So if you got the wires plugged in, then you got them the right way round :)
Yeah, they are plugged in so I guess I got them right without checking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts