Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 GXP Coupe that I want to ask a question about. In the exhaust about halfway back there is a swelled place in the exhaust pipe that is about a foot long and three inches in diameter. It's a raised chamber like a resonator. Can anyone tell me what it is and what it's there for? I'd like to take it off when I install a different muffler.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
I have a 2009 GXP Coupe that I want to ask a question about. In the exhaust about halfway back there is a swelled place in the exhaust pipe that is about a foot long and three inches in diameter. It's a raised chamber like a resonator. Can anyone tell me what it is and what it's there for? I'd like to take it off when I install a different muffler.
Most of us have come to the conclusion that it's a resonator, but I don't remember that anyone is certain.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Most of us have come to the conclusion that it's a resonator, but I don't remember that anyone is certain.

Never occurred to me if the coupes exhaust was different than the vert, however one thing that has been discussed is the Solo free flow cat + exhaust may be too loud for some (and lend to cabin drone) versus just the Solo cat back exhaust for coupes (i.e. read, no free flow cat).

That means with my auto + Solo cat back system I can barely hear it shifting between gears in the cabin as its driven, whereas with a manual you can probably hear the shifting exhaust noise more in the cabin as its driven.

At start-up is about the only time I can tell the Solo cat back system is louder than the OEM was.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
That holds the muffler bearings

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've been curious about this before as I have it on my 08 Sky RL. I'm back in school (mech eng, specializing in auto eng), and have access to some serious simulation software again, and decided to play with it a little. In fact, I'm using the same stuff GM and many other auto-manufacturers use to design their components and simulate loads and what not.

From what I can tell, it looks like that section is a sound tuning attempt. It looks like they are trying to take a little harshness out of the exhaust sound.

For those that have heard a catless kappa LNF on cold start up. The end of the each pulse has a bit of a pop at the end, almost giving the overall exhaust pulse a "puh-pop" to it? That section should have some small effect at making the overall pop at the end of that pulse down a bit.

By reducing that harshness, it also makes the lower frequency sounds more prominent. It's basically a sound tuning attempt.

From my calculations, it was about 2db quieter at the most in a part of the frequency range that is heard as that "pop". So it wasn't a huge effect, but should be noticeable if heard back to back.

This stuff makes me curious to hack into a stock muffler and see what it's like in there. I'm pretty sure it's the front pipe leading into a baffled chamber, with 2 exhausting pies off the sides of the muffler. As opposed to a perforated inner pipe wrapped in rock/steel wool inside a chamber.

Anyone ever hack into a stock RL/GXP muffler before? Got any pics?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts