Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the EOP and all the hype of the first 1000, will I be able to walk into any pontiac dealer and order a solstice? Like maybe in September '05? :willy:

·
Registered
844 Posts
You can definitely order one in Sept, what's stopping you? I would strongly suggest ordering YOUR car, to your exact specs/options, when YOU want to buy it, then they cannot give you some ridiculous markups over the MSRP, because you did not order the "$5000 dealer-profit option". You should be able to price out the car online at kbb.com iirc.

However, I was told by my dealer that orders that late in the year won't be delivered until 2006 (and then it would be counted as part of that dealers' 2006 Solstice allotment)

I'm not sure how many 1001+ Solstii will get to dealers between now and dec 2005, but don't expect them to have a long half-life on the dealers lot.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Gotta hurry, many dealers have sold their first allocation already.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Yep, you can order one at any dealer, so long as they still have cars in their allocation to order. Essentially, GM has allocated so many cars to each dealer based on a number of criteria. They won't get more than those allocated. So just a caution, if your dealer has already taken deposits on their allocation for the near future, they may not have any to take your order right away, which would lengthen the time it takes you to get a car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know when pontiac will start taking orders again after the end of the EOP?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I can still place an order know, even though the EOP has ended? (as long as the dealer hasn't exceeded their allocation).

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
SteveB said:
Oh I can still place an order know, even though the EOP has ended? (as long as the dealer hasn't exceeded their allocation).
Yes, as long as they have allocation.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SteveB said:
Yes, even if they have you can still leave a deposit and "pre-order" something for next round or hope someone bails out of first allocation.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You guys are talking about this year's allocation correct?

I don't think they could possibly be selling all of next year (2006's) allocation already. And 2007 and beyond can't be spoken for yet!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
You guys are talking about this year's allocation correct?
Yup, working on the first 4 month allocation for this year.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
And hopefully the few dealers that had not filled their allocation of EOP with firm orders would have placed the orders anyway that they are entitled to, (yes there were a few, just like there are dealers with allocations of zero for first 4 months)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Some Possible Manufacturing Scenarios

SteveB said:
You can order one at any time from any dealer...it's just a question of

1. When will it be in
2. Will the options you selected still be available
3. Will there be new options that you want

If a dealer has an order in, and an option becomes discontinued, GM will force production to the closest spec that they can.

Case in point...our dealer ordered 2 2005 4WD Sierra 1500's w/ Quadrasteer on a Monday. Quadrasteer was discontinued 4 days later on Thursday. The order was not picked up until Sunday. Basically, GM said we're getting the 2 trucks w/ every option, except Quadrasteer. We tried to refuse or cancel, and are still trying, but as of tonite, they are scheduled to be built out next week.

A tough call when you get close to the end of a model year. Something to seriously consider. As far as we know, OnStar, Chrome Wheels, and auto tranny are the only options that are definitely going to be available in the near future, through MY 06.

Mere speculation: Assuming full scale production begins in earnest in September/October

20,000 units a yr,
220 mandays to a year
90 units a day/30 a shift, 5 days a week (SOL only 4 units/hour)

Production increases to 150 a day, (SOL only 6.75 units/hr)
20,000 units
130 mandays required (4 mos, 1 week)
MY 06 allocation sold out by January/February

Question is auto tranny going to be avail starting MY 07...I think I may have raised our next serious debate...possibly out-thunk myself? :willy:

Speculation on Sky/Opel to prolong SOL MY06, or will they build the entire MY06 out before retooling for Sky?

I scare myself sometimes.... :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thanks for the explanation on ordering Cornejo. I didn’t know that they would build a vehicle as close to an order as possible if an option became unavailable!

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can definitely walk into any dealer and place an order, it is just a matter of when you would take delivery. You can pm me or e-mail me and I we can further discuss this. Also anyone else who reads this I am the supporting dealer and would like to earn everyones business. Also my dealership is not charging a penny over MSRP.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Yep, you can order one at any dealer, so long as they still have cars in their allocation to order. Essentially, GM has allocated so many cars to each dealer based on a number of criteria. They won't get more than those allocated. So just a caution, if your dealer has already taken deposits on their allocation for the near future, they may not have any to take your order right away, which would lengthen the time it takes you to get a car.
I am the only person to order a Solstice at my dealer. Is it possible that he could receive a 0 allocation and I would ultimately have to go to a dealer who has allocated cars? I am currently wait listed. Does that mean I don't have to do anything further?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Blk37Special said:
I am the only person to order a Solstice at my dealer. Is it possible that he could receive a 0 allocation and I would ultimately have to go to a dealer who has allocated cars? I am currently wait listed. Does that mean I don't have to do anything further?
Hey, another WNY'er!

I cannot be totally positive, but I cannot imagine any dealers getting 0 allocation. Allocation is being done on a formula basis, 50% of the formula based on the dealers volume, the other 50% based on where convertables sell well. So up here in WNY, were at a disadvantage. However, the cold climate factory only cuts down on allocation.

Are you in the Buffalo region? Rochester? Did you order from a moderate to large dealership? If so, I think you should be fine in getting a car.

Also, dealers now know their allocation. If you call up your dealer, they should be able to tell you how many Sol's they are getting in the initial rollout (post EOP program).

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Ff88 there are dealers getting 0 allocation for the first 4 months, this has been posted by a number of people in the forum.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Hey, another WNY'er!

I cannot be totally positive, but I cannot imagine any dealers getting 0 allocation. Allocation is being done on a formula basis, 50% of the formula based on the dealers volume, the other 50% based on where convertables sell well. So up here in WNY, were at a disadvantage. However, the cold climate factory only cuts down on allocation.

Are you in the Buffalo region? Rochester? Did you order from a moderate to large dealership? If so, I think you should be fine in getting a car.

Also, dealers now know their allocation. If you call up your dealer, they should be able to tell you how many Sol's they are getting in the initial rollout (post EOP program).
I'm in the very SW corner of NY. My dealer sells very few cars, is mostly a farm equipment dealer.

I'm thinking that since there will be approx. 20,000 made in year one, and that the EOP only turned up about 6,000 orders, I shouldn't have a problem. But I don't have a peaceful, easy feeling.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd try to secure an order as soon as possible. I too am in a rural community. My local dealer has two employees that are buying the first two allocations he gets. If not for the EOP, I might've had to wait til 07 to get one from my dealer. Go ask and if they can't get you a firm order; go elsewhere. I'll be worth the trip anywhere in the country to get one!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Ff88 there are dealers getting 0 allocation for the first 4 months, this has been posted by a number of people in the forum.
My bad, I had not seen it posted. Still, his dealer should be able to tell him whether they have any allocation or not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts