Can passsenger airbag be turned off?
Thanks for replies!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Duner said:
Can passsenger airbag be turned off?
Thanks for replies!
It is weight activated and only turns ON when a passenger is present. Why would you want to turn it off manually???

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SolsticeWaiting said:
It is weight activated and only turns ON when a passenger is present. Why would you want to turn it off manually???
Childseat maybe?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Editguy said:
Childseat maybe?
But we all know that it has specific weight thresholds, and we believe that a childseat and a child may not be heavy enough to set it off... at the most it would turn it on to a medium setting.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fortimir said:
But we all know that it has specific weight thresholds, and we believe that a childseat and a child may not be heavy enough to set it off... at the most it would turn it on to a medium setting.
Good point. I was just venturing a guess as to why someone would want to turn it off.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Editguy said:
Good point. I was just venturing a guess as to why someone would want to turn it off.
Some people are afraid of any intrusion into their own control of their destiny. Some have been or know of people who actually have been hurt worse by the airbag - it is a one size fits all. Some people might have their 100 lb Golden in the seat (in a doggie harness, of course) that would by weight activate but be very very dangerous to the animal if deployed.

AND
yes, it can be turned off, otherwise there would be no need for a light telling you it was on.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
achieftain said:
Some have been or know of people who actually have been hurt worse by the airbag
Same goes for seatbelts, though, and those are law in most places.

·
5,641 Posts
achieftain said:
AND
yes, it can be turned off, otherwise there would be no need for a light telling you it was on.
The air bag status indicator light is just that, a status light to show you what state the system is in. The system decides if it is "enabled" or "disabled" based on its readings.

In the Solstice, an array of force sensing resistor cells are located between the seat trim and the top surface of the seat cushion foam. The system uses pattern recognition as well as area and laod on the seat to communicate the decision status to the indicator lights and the air bag module.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: Yes
General Conversation: No

·
Registered
265 Posts
i would imagine, like most cars, you can yank the fuse to the air bag. but there might also be other things on that circuit (like the driver side air bag). someone needs to check the manual/electrical diagrams..

not that i advise doing so. i'll trust their weight-detection system.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you really want to disable the airbags all you should have to do is unlug the bottoms of your seats. In my pontiac there's a connector to do just that. I think it's for changing the seats out if you want to. I took ALL the seats out of my Aztek a couple of weeks ago (to get it really clean) and noticed them that way. I'm assuming the Sol will be similar. Not that I advise it either, but if you must... :leaving:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bottom of the seats is only the side air bags and the seatbelt monitor

Most connections for the steering wheel and dash air bags are under or in the dash...

Always remember to be careful around the bright yellow connectors...one wire crossed to that connector and BOOM... I've seen occurences.

Also...always disconnect the battery before ever doing any bodywork... When the first Montana's came out, my son's friend saw a coworker doing the old "a hammer fixes anything" trick on aligning a door striker...the side air bag went off! They said the poor guy needed a drawer change.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Duner said:
Can passenger airbag be turned off?
Thanks for replies!
Oh please don't even think about disabling the passenger air bag system. If you unplug the connector you will set codes in the system and cause it to be totally disabled.

The PPS will set a DTC, and then communicate with the SDM via non GMLAN circuit.

• The SDM will set DTC B0081.

The SDM disables the I/P module deployment loop.

• The PPS will turn ON the passenger air bag status OFF indicator.

• The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via serial data communications

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
BIG JOHN said:
Oh please don't even think about disabling the passenger air bag system. If you unplug the connector you will set codes in the system and cause it to be totally disabled.

The PPS will set a DTC, and then communicate with the SDM via non GMLAN circuit.

• The SDM will set DTC B0081.

The SDM disables the I/P module deployment loop.

• The PPS will turn ON the passenger air bag status OFF indicator.

• The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via serial data communications
Cool, can you give us a translation in English, please? :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
dengel said:
Cool, can you give us a translation in English, please? :)
sure

If you unplug the seat or remove any fuses you will disable the entire S.I.R. system (including the drivers side air bag) and the S.I.R. light will be on at all times.

Let the good times roll :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
BIG JOHN said:
sure

If you unplug the seat or remove any fuses you will disable the entire S.I.R. system (including the drivers side air bag) and the S.I.R. light will be on at all times.

Let the good times roll :)

YIKES! Is there any way I can fix this? (Since I already unplugged them like the huge dork I am?)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nix Sol said:
YIKES! Is there any way I can fix this? (Since I already unplugged them like the huge dork I am?)

OH NOzzzzzzz :nono: (lol)

Yes you can plug them bag in and after several key cycles the S.I.R. light should go off. If the light goes off then you ok if not then the dealership might have to perform a re-zeroing procedure. <---special tool needed

·
Registered
93 Posts
Editguy said:
Childseat maybe?
Is it legal to put a car seat in a roadster? I wanna take my nephew for a spin, but not if its unsafe/illegal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.