Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That's the question in my mind. Do you suppose that there was (is) a struggle within GM to give the Sky (we don't know this to be true, yet) the nod for a forced induction motor first? How could that happen? As is said so often, you only get one chance at a first impression! Pontiac is at a crossroads (IMHO) they need to get this car to market and be prepared to kick ass in a winner takes all struggle. From the looks of things, there will be plenty of competition at this price point in the market place. Why would GM dull that effort with a similar product right off the bat. It makes me wonder why these guys at the top of GM's food chain get paid the big bucks? :banghead

·
Registered
182 Posts
They do it for marketing reasons. I am sure that GM could give a forced induction engine right away if they wanted to, but they don't. This way the solstice will garner all sorts of buzz and reviews from the car mags and other places this year when it is introduced, and then next year or whenever it will be back in the limelight with its forced induction version. It is all a game of marketing the car. Look at the corvette z06 if gm really wanted to have it out now they most likely could, but they are delaying it to let the base corvette shine, and then once interest starts to fade boom the z06 is out to focus attention on the corvette again.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its also a strategy that can be used to keep the car fresh and selling. The first year you offer one engine, and all the people who just have to buy one go get it. Then the second year (or third year) you offer a higher output engine, then you attract everyone waiting for something faster, and you also sell another to everyone who’s leases are coming up on their first Solstice and now they want a little more than the same thing again.

You have to keep a carrot out there to be an added incentive to get the newest Solstice. The most obvious is styling, but you cannot realistically restyle a car every couple years. The second option, which is especially helpful in sports cars, is performance upgrades. Keep the excitement going by continually making it a better performing car. It keeps people interested, and also keeps you near the front of the competition.

I don’t think there is an internal struggle for one to get the engine first over another either. It may just be likely that the engine they will use is not even ready yet. The 2.4L 170 HP engine has not made it to production yet either. Its scheduled for a mid year (spring) 2005 release in the Ion and Cobalt, and I think it will be going into the new base G6 models next year as well.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think the main reason GM should consider offering FI for the first year (assuming they had enough R&D time) is that the new Miata due in August is said to have an optional 180HP engine and weigh about 300 lbs less than the Pontiac. A higher output Solstice motor would put it on par with the competition's optional motor. What we don't know yet is what kind of torque the Mazda motor has and what the power curve is. I guess it's possible that the standard Solstice powerplant may yield similar real world performance if it has a better powerband. Just bringing this up since GM is billing the Miata as one of its target competitors.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
tcl said:
I think the main reason GM should consider offering FI for the first year (assuming they had enough R&D time) is that the new Miata due in August is said to have an optional 180HP engine and weigh about 300 lbs less than the Pontiac. A higher output Solstice motor would put it on par with the competition's optional motor. What we don't know yet is what kind of torque the Mazda motor has and what the power curve is. I guess it's possible that the standard Solstice powerplant may yield similar real world performance if it has a better powerband. Just bringing this up since GM is billing the Miata as one of its target competitors.
I think the performance increase of the MS Miata over the base Solstice is marginal enough that it makes sense for Pontiac to reserve the FI engine for year two just to keep Solstice sales fresh as others have pointed out. Most people buying Miatas and Solstices will no doubt go for the base car anyhow, as they are attracted by the low price. That's been the strength of the Miata, budget fun not, monster track car. I know this is what made me decide to get the Miata before I discovered the Solstice.

I think the base Solstice should be close enough in performance to their top of the line car that a lot of people will choose the lesser performing Solstice just because it looks so cool, then year two, Bam! Pontiac blows the MS Miata away. I think a smart move for Pontiac to do in the first year, would be to only offer the 170hp motor, but offer a dealer installed (or DIY) S/C kit. This would satisfy those who have to have more power right now, keep the car immediately competitive and give them some where to go in year two. It also would preserve your warrantee. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It also gets them more money, and their dealers more money too having official GM Performance Parts. Apparently there are GM Accessories too as we were promised to see at SEMA and never did. I bet dealers get a nice cut on these, and then they get the installation cost too. Also, more then likely it'll be a non intercooled solution. Meaning whatever model they release as an official forced induction Solstice will have a better setup. You'll more then likely get some other things too like boost guages, intercooler, badging, sports package options, etc.

I hate to admit it but a car company waiting till year two or 3 to put out the higher performance version is usually in the companies best interest. They get to work out all the issues/bugs with the design prior to stressing it further. They start getting sales money in to pay for development. They get to boost the image and sales by showing off this nice car. And heck, even if the forced induction Solstice doesn't sell to every person who comes to the lot, it'll surely bring in more people who then happen to trickle down to cheaper cars if the Forced Induction is to expensive for their tastes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I not so sure GM is going to be keeping the high output Solstice on the back burner too long. GM has already made it clear that at 20K dollars the Solstice isn't carrying a lot of mark up. They need options so that they can "build more profit" into the car. Another thing that I find encouraging is the fact that the Cobalt Supercharged SS is coming out at introduction with the rest of the Cobalt coupes.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
All true and they get to cash in on the year or so of writers saying "The only way to make it better is to give it more power." Then, boom, they bring out a car with more power!

But they can blow it by taking too long to introduce the better car that was sitting in the wings...think Fiero! Was it four years to eventually first get the right front suspension, then the V6 and finally the five speed? And the turbo PT Cruiser may have been too late as well.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If the new Miata really is going to be the main competition then GM has to have something ready to deal with whatever the new Mazdaspeed Miata will be. A turbocharged version of the supposed 180HP engine will easily hit 200+ HP.

·
Registered
533 Posts
brentil said:
If the new Miata really is going to be the main competition then GM has to have something ready to deal with whatever the new Mazdaspeed Miata will be. A turbocharged version of the supposed 180HP engine will easily hit 200+ HP.
Road & Track said that a V6 may be in the works for that Miata but it was not confirmed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
there appears be some confusion on this board, in this thread, and in others about the gm claim of "faster than a miata" and whether that could apply to the mazdaspeed turbo miata, typically denoted MSM os MS miata.

with a stock 170 hp and 2860 lb, the solstice may give a stock miata with ~145 hp/~2400+lbs a fair run. BUT NFW will the stock solstice whip a 178 hp/166 ft-lb/2529 lb mazdaspeed miata in straight line.

there is a lot of speculation about the miata NC u.s. motors. their 2.3L motor [edit] with 160 hp/155 ft-lb in a 2500 lb car will probably be quicker than the stock solstice.

so i say bring on the boosted solstice from day one!!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have to ask, since I seem to be finding some confusing information. When exactly is the new Miata going to come to market? I thought it was going to be a 2007 model year vehicle, but some information here seems to indicate it will be out next year as a 2006 MY vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I have to ask, since I seem to be finding some confusing information. When exactly is the new Miata going to come to market? I thought it was going to be a 2007 model year vehicle, but some information here seems to indicate it will be out next year as a 2006 MY vehicle.
I thought the prevailing wisdom was late 2005 as 2006 model (anyone?). It's not even going to be unveiled until spring so that's a short cycle but I guess if what they unveil is the production model they just fire it up and go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts