Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live is Southwest Florida and this time of year there are time when I need to turn on the A/C but it is too cold with straight A/C so I dial in one click of heat, then it is to warm. My header seems to have only almost full on or off. Does any one know if the amount of heat that one click gives can be adjusted? Most cars goes from very little heat to full heat as you turn the dial but mine does not.

·
5,641 Posts
NaplesTopLess said:
I live is Southwest Florida and this time of year there are time when I need to turn on the A/C but it is too cold with straight A/C so I dial in one click of heat, then it is to warm. My header seems to have only almost full on or off. Does any one know if the amount of heat that one click gives can be adjusted? Most cars goes from very little heat to full heat as you turn the dial but mine does not.
This was hidden in the Fender Well Liner Cracked thread.

The resync didn't do anything based on a later reply, but your description (as did theirs) matches up better with the second fix.

JewJenk said:
.......now it was a little cold in SC this morning went to turn the heat on, got good heat, then noticed that the heat knob had no control on the heat, it was either full heat or none (knob turned all the way to the left) one click to the right and it was full heat, even turned on the A/C and then turned the temp knob one click, the heat even overpowered the A/C......

Any sugestions? Will probable mean a trip back to the dealer.......
Might try to resych or recalibration the temerature actuators:

Actuator Recalibration
When replacing an air temperature, mode, recirculation actuator or the HVAC control assembly, the following calibration process needs to be performed:

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control assembly during self-calibration. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

1) Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.

2) Turn the Temperature dial all the way to the right.

3) Turn the blower control dial all the way to the right.

4) Turn the mode position dial all the way to the left.

5) Simultaneously press and hold the A/C and Defrost buttons until the LED's start to flash.

6) Once the LED's stop flashing, calibration is complete.
or may need to get a little fancier:

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain that the temperature will go to full hot when they turn the temperature control one click off of full cold. The control head is defaulting to Emergency Mode (this provides HOT air to clear the windshield in Defrost mode). This will happen if the feedback voltage for the air temperature actuators are out of range.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Locally obtain a 60 to 68 ohm 1/2 watt resistor, and install it in-line in circuit 1688 pin F of the HVAC control head. Install the resistor just behind the HVAC control head.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Glad yours worked, tried to recalibrate at least 5 times, even disconnected the battery twice, which forces recalibration, no good, will be going to the dealer soon........

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
SLY was doing the same thing. Just brought back memories of a 69 Delta 88 ragtop.

Recalibrated thanks to SD on the way to Piedmont SC for "Adjustments" and WOW!

Big difference.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Found this thread, and the re-calibration did the trick.:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Glad yours worked, tried to recalibrate at least 5 times, even disconnected the battery twice, which forces recalibration, no good, will be going to the dealer soon........
I wound up at the dealer last spring after the heater turned the cabin into a sweat box!
Printed off the tech sheet about adding a resistor and took it with me. Guy who had been to GM top and electronik skewl and was therefore 'designated' tech asked if he could have the sheet. The he disappeared, came back, handed me the sheet and said parts ordered for the HVAC fix and the top, and windshield surround and 'where did you get that' information on the fix?

Now the kicker, before I could get in, dealer tech dude took a tumble off a buddy's roof repair job and broke his ankle and was out of work for a month.

After the dealer tech did his magic on the heater and the TOP, I went to MECCA and the factory guys said the top was the best and most 'symmetrical' they had seen :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks, SD -

I used this procedure to recalibrate my A/C a couple of weeks ago - it really did the trick!

Reminds me of a story:

Some years back, my supervisor at GM told me he had recommended his father-in-law get A/C on his next car. When it came time to sell that one, and order another, he asked, "Did you like the A/C?" The father-in-law answered, "Not really. It was always COLD in the car."

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hey SD...back to your post of 11-03-08

Subject is a G5 not the SOL.

Was told the G5 only had a single resisitor vs 2 on my SOL....so it never
get real cold and has no MAX A/C setting anyway.

would recalibrating the G5 make it any colder (I want it colder)
or am I blowing smoke into the wind.

Also..re the SOL...would you recommend a recal. after 5 yrs and/or 50K miles
just for the heck of it

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

Calibration would only be necessary if it has lost calibration, so no need to do it as regular service.

That said, I don't know if your G5 supports recalibration but I don't think it can hurt to try.

My '06 decided to not always engage the compressor, so A/C was sporadic. Recalibration either fixed it, or it healed on its own... I have no idea why recalibrating would fix that, unless it got into a mode where it decided that it shouldn't turn on the compressor. Weird.

Oddly, my '06 Helm manual says recalibration isn't possible on my A/C system but the system responded properly to the recal (lights came on, off, blinked, etc. at the right times). Bug in the book, I suppose.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This was hidden in the Fender Well Liner Cracked thread.

The resync didn't do anything based on a later reply, but your description (as did theirs) matches up better with the second fix.

Might try to resych or recalibration the temerature actuators:

or may need to get a little fancier:
Can anyone in the know tell me whether the condition I'm about to describe can be fixed by recalibration or is something entirely different.

Issue: summertime (now) normal driving with the heat control turned to max left or cold position and fan speed to 0 or off but I am still getting warm to hot air coming from the vents and in the footwell area (even though the vent selector is set for upper vents only). The only way to stop the warm/hot air is to put on the AC which will hurt mileage. I'm also afraid that by closing the upper vents the warm air will backflow can cause overheating of the engine and this does nothing for the warm footwell air.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

LilRedGXP

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mine is strange but I don't think anyone has described it yet on this thread...and I'm not complaining, in fact it is pretty nifty, although is probably not as nifty as it seems (since there are no free lunches)...

When I have the temp knob to cold, and put it on recirc, there is cool/cold-ish air...not A/C chilled air, but deffenitely very cool. I call it my "swamp cooler". If I then hit the A/C button, then it is deffenitly colder A/C air.
Does anyone else have that? If I do the recalibration, will I lose the "swamp cooler"? Seems weird to me since A/C is not engaged, I'd expect only fan air, but it is deffenitely chilled air. I like to think that I am getting comfort without the mileage hit of running the A/C, but, like I said, it is probably not really "free" cool air...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Mine is strange but I don't think anyone has described it yet on this thread...and I'm not complaining, in fact it is pretty nifty, although is probably not as nifty as it seems (since there are no free lunches)...

When I have the temp knob to cold, and put it on recirc, there is cool/cold-ish air...not A/C chilled air, but deffenitely very cool. I call it my "swamp cooler". If I then hit the A/C button, then it is deffenitly colder A/C air.
Does anyone else have that? If I do the recalibration, will I lose the "swamp cooler"? Seems weird to me since A/C is not engaged, I'd expect only fan air, but it is deffenitely chilled air. I like to think that I am getting comfort without the mileage hit of running the A/C, but, like I said, it is probably not really "free" cool air...
When I am running the A/C on Recirc, and I turn off the A/C, the compressor continues to run and cold air comes out of the vents. I find that the A/C does not actually shut off until I switch off the Recirc. :willy:

·
Registered
551 Posts
When I am running the A/C on Recirc, and I turn off the A/C, the compressor continues to run and cold air comes out of the vents. I find that the A/C does not actually shut off until I switch off the Recirc. :willy:
Same here. Normal I guess. I've always found it odd that switching to recirculate turns on the A/C.

·
Super Moderator
7,524 Posts
The AC compressor will run under certain conditions without illuminating the indicator lamp. Defrost and recirc are two conditions that will cause this, assuming that certain temperature constraints are met.

The description is in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Same here. Normal I guess. I've always found it odd that switching to recirculate turns on the A/C.
This is normal operation on most, if not all, cars. The premise is that if recirc is on, moist air will flow (reflow) around the cabin, steaming up the windows and causing (obiously) loss of visibility. The A/C cooling will condense the moisture out, drying the air and thus avoiding the problem. Same reason A/C turns on for window defrost... drier air removes any interior misting/icing more quickly.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Same reason A/C turns on for window defrost... drier air removes any interior misting/icing more quickly.
Then you have to turn the heater on because the hot humid air is misting the outside of the windshield because you didn't get the defrost off quick enough when you forgot the air comes on automagicaly :willy:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had the same problem with my temp control. When it was set to cold perfect. But when i turn my temp knob one click, bam hot as hell. Tried recal, but it did not work. Then i found a thread online about putting resistor inline to the harness on the back. And sure enought. I works like a champ. The dash is a breeze to remove. Do not worry about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts