Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the past three years I've noticed quite a few people have reported having trouble with and subsequently replacing the Yaw sensor, (GM part # 22733617), on their GXP's. I too have had this problem. I've also noticed the supply of replacement Yaw sensors have decreased while its' price has steadily increased. This got me to wondering if anyone has ever taken apart one of these sensors and trouble shot/repaired one? If this sensor is anything like the anti-lock brake sensor found in late model Corvettes, (that cost a fortune), and fail in as little as seven years due to a 50 cent diode which can removed and replaced with a soldering iron, then perhaps it could be done in the Yaw sensor as well. Does anyone have any experience with this? Perhaps specs, wiring diagrams or a part trouble shooting guide? If there is a way to repair this item on our vehicles and save some $$ then I'm all for it. Rick

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Never seen anything about anyone attempting a repair on these forums. If you find anything, though, let us know. I'd be very interested.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the yaw sensor resides within either the ECM or BCM. I believe it's a computer compenent. I don't believe it can be replaced individually. I believe what happens is that there is a g-force sensor that senses direction and speed, then compares it to wheel speed and steering wheel angle. The part that senses the speed and g-force/direction is part of the ECM/BCM. Just because it has a part number, doesn't mean it's not a program. The ECM has 8 programs for tuning, all with seperate part numbers even though its code and not a physical part. I know this because when I first got my car, I was trying to figure out if it was tuned and who tuned it.

On a side not, I remember the Lincoln LS issue with yaw sensors. We had customers going down the road at 70mph and all of a sudden all 4 wheels would just lock up and bring the car to a complete stop. It wouldn't unlock the wheels and the car would have to be towed. One guy actually drove his faulty car to the dealer because his brakes weren't 100% on. He drove it 5 miles....destroyed the transmission, overheated the motor, and melted the pads right to the rotors and destroyed the wheel bearings and wheels from the heat. Needless to say, Lincoln bought it back. But there was a TSB to "reprogram" the skid control unit with program "FXXXX-XXXX", which was Ford's part numbers.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the yaw sensor resides within either the ECM or BCM. I believe it's a computer compenent. I don't believe it can be replaced individually. ..........
Or not.
08-05-055 Yaw Sensor.jpg

Reactions: 09GXP

·
Registered
340 Posts
During the past three years I've noticed quite a few people have reported having trouble with and subsequently replacing the Yaw sensor, (GM part # 22733617), on their GXP's. I too have had this problem
What symptoms are related to a failed yaw sensor?
And since the kappas are parts bin cars does the sensor come from another platform?

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Parts bin car?

Part Fitment

Make Model Year
  • Engine
Important vehicle option details
ChevroletHHR2008
  • 4 Cyl 2.0L, 4 Cyl 2.2L, 4 Cyl 2.4L
5 DOOR HIGH ROOF HATCHBACK, 5 DOOR HIGH ROOF HATCHBACK SS, 5 DOOR HIGH ROOF PANEL, 5 DOOR UPLEVEL HIGH ROOF HATCHBACK, 5 DOOR UPLEVEL HIGH ROOF PANEL
PontiacSolstice2007-2010
  • 4 Cyl 2.0L, 4 Cyl 2.4L
2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE, 2 DOOR COUPE(TARGA), TURBO 2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE
SaturnSky2007-2010
  • 4 Cyl 2.0L, 4 Cyl 2.4L
2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE, TURBO 2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE
SaturnVue2008
  • 4 Cyl 2.4L, 6 Cyl 3.5L, 6 Cyl 3.6L
REDLINE AWD, REDLINE FWD, SUV HYBRID FWD, XE AW

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
Reactions: 09GXP

·
Registered
346 Posts
During the past three years I've noticed quite a few people have reported having trouble with and subsequently replacing the Yaw sensor, (GM part # 22733617), on their GXP's. I too have had this problem. I've also noticed the supply of replacement Yaw sensors have decreased while its' price has steadily increased. This got me to wondering if anyone has ever taken apart one of these sensors and trouble shot/repaired one? If this sensor is anything like the anti-lock brake sensor found in late model Corvettes, (that cost a fortune), and fail in as little as seven years due to a 50 cent diode which can removed and replaced with a soldering iron, then perhaps it could be done in the Yaw sensor as well. Does anyone have any experience with this? Perhaps specs, wiring diagrams or a part trouble shooting guide? If there is a way to repair this item on our vehicles and save some $$ then I'm all for it. Rick

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have one from a 2007 GXP , it’s a spare part that I had from my Solstice. Sold the car Agee years ago and have a few parts lying around :
Original radio premium sound / CD player
Yaw sensor
Air compressor with foam cradle.
About your Yaw Sensor , it’s located under passenger seat. I went nuts trying to figure out the problem. Replaced it and same issue ( reason for spare. After many reads I found out that there is an issue with moisture that may bridge pins in the BCM connector located on passenger side floor behind a panel under rug. Try unplugging the connector several times , I know it sounds crazy but it has happened before. Something to do with either moisture on the pins or possibly static that builds up. I believe it was either TS or Ghost on this site that helped me with my issue. Also check the bolts behind the wheel bearing, I believe they are 14 mm to make sure that they are tight. Good luck

Reactions: showtime

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one from a 2007 GXP , it’s a spare part that I had from my Solstice. Sold the car Agee years ago and have a few parts lying around :
Original radio premium sound / CD player
Yaw sensor
Air compressor with foam cradle.
About your Yaw Sensor , it’s located under passenger seat. I went nuts trying to figure out the problem. Replaced it and same issue ( reason for spare. After many reads I found out that there is an issue with moisture that may bridge pins in the BCM connector located on passenger side floor behind a panel under rug. Try unplugging the connector several times , I know it sounds crazy but it has happened before. Something to do with either moisture on the pins or possibly static that builds up. I believe it was either TS or Ghost on this site that helped me with my issue. Also check the bolts behind the wheel bearing, I believe they are 14 mm to make sure that they are tight. Good luck
Fosti... Thank you for that tip. I'll definitely give it a try. I replaced my old Yaw sensor with a new one about 6 months ago and everything seemed fine. Alas, the light came on again whenever I hit a bump or pothole while turning, just like the last time. Checked all the 14mm bolts and sensor connection at the brakes and all check good. Hit reset and light goes out and no codes. Wires all look good and I can not detect any open or damaged wires. I'd like to check the circuitry in the sensor "just in case". Problem is: 1) finding a schematic and 2) getting my old sensor open so I can check if it's something simple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts