Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been asked before.I searched it,but couldnt find anything.Im really putting the miles on my sol.I was looking to see if,and when I popped this
engine what my options would be.
Is it a good idea to freshen up after 100k maybe?Im not too swift on what I need
to know in the motor dept.I just wondered if pontiac had any new spares crated up
waiting for me anywhere?
:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
16,540 Posts
There are 2.4s running around with over 200,000 k miles. With good maintenance they run a lot of miles.

There are several hundred thousand similar motors in service in various GM cars. There are plenty of new motors in inventory. Or you can choose to upgrade and have your current motor rebuilt with good after market parts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I priced an LNF motor from crate engine depot a few months ago. If memory serves, I believe they are costing about $3400. Certainly available.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
:agree:

Yes, looks like CED still has them. Current price is $3,527.

Look under the "Goodwrench Engines" pull down on the front page.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all you guys for the responses.Its nice to know I can have some options,if/when the time comes.Im gonna get close to 50k miles in my first year.
It gets picked on weekends too, more than my wifes mazda 6.
I wouldnt mind eventually getting a bigger turbo installed.Gotta do the clutch first.

·
Super Moderator
16,540 Posts
This a crate motor from GM. Its one of many off the shelf, turn key packages that you can choose from.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
@rob the elder
I like that we have the same idea of what a crate motor is:cool:

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
I apologize if this has been asked before.I searched it,but couldnt find anything.Im really putting the miles on my sol.I was looking to see if,and when I popped this
engine what my options would be.
Is it a good idea to freshen up after 100k maybe?Im not too swift on what I need
to know in the motor dept.I just wondered if pontiac had any new spares crated up
waiting for me anywhere?
:dunno:
At 100K miles you could take a look at the engine and do a compression and leak down check on it, but I would be surprised if you saw much wear. We have been doing head installs on these engines and also rebuilds for several years now and even engines that have been supercharged or 2.0L's with big turbos usually look pretty good on the bottom end.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At 100K miles you could take a look at the engine and do a compression and leak down check on it, but I would be surprised if you saw much wear. We have been doing head installs on these engines and also rebuilds for several years now and even engines that have been supercharged or 2.0L's with big turbos usually look pretty good on the bottom end.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Thank you Dave :thumbs:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Check Craigslist. I found a ls3 engine for $800 locally with wore harness and ECM. It wasn't in a car so I felt like it was sketchy but great deals can be found on Craigslist of your in the right areas.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts