comments by Michael Grimaldi GM Canada president
at the Canadian Auto show.
Soltice mid $20's Canadian dollars
Sky under $30,000 Canadian dollars
Then he says on sale late this year!
His marketing exec Donna Martin said on TV this past
Sunday we would see a Solstice on the road in Canada
this June.
I think it will be somewhere in between.

GM'S SATURN SKY WOWS CANADIAN MEDIA

General Motors was the only company to put on an elaborate unveiling in Toronto this year. GM Canada president Michael Grimaldi presided as about 10 new GM vehicles were driven out before the Canadian media, providing the show with its only big-time, Detroit-style stage presentation.

The car that wowed the mainstream Hogtown media, who usually dismiss Big Three products as totally unhip, was the 2007 Saturn Sky. Their enthusiasm was most uncharacteristic as they climbed over each other to get near it.

And why not? "It's a mini Corvette," Grimaldi said as the daytime TV reporters drooled and cooed. The Sky will be sold in Canada for "under $30,000," he said.

The Sky's equally eye-catching sibling, the 2006 Pontiac Solstice, will go on sale late this year "in the mid-20s," he said.

As expected, General Motors has revealed it will build the Solstice and the Sky rear-wheel-drive roadsters on the same assembly line. The production site will be the idled Saturn plant in Wilmington, Del.

The company is already counting on selling way more than the 15,000 to 20,000 units of each they had been projecting, GM North America president Gary Cowger said at the Chicago Auto Show a week ago. A third version of the car, probably an Opel destined for the European market, will also be assembled in Delaware.

The small cars - especially the Saturn Sky - seem to be generating the same kind of buzz the Chrysler 300 did a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Current exchange rate puts $19995 US at $24595 CDN +/-.

·
Registered
55 Posts
the only problem is that if you think about a Sky RedLine, it would probably creep up to Mustang GT prices :( - mid$30k.

booo....

kris

·
Registered
535 Posts
Rondosa said:
the only problem is that if you think about a Sky RedLine, it would probably creep up to Mustang GT prices :( - mid$30k.

booo....

kris
The Ford Canada website lists a base GT coupe at $34k and 'vert GT at $38k base. Likely over $40k with matching options that puts it around $10k more than the Saturn so....

·
Registered
180 Posts
So Mustang GT will be in line with G6 'vert when it comes out. I have read G6 is to be $30,000 US

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
airbalancer said:
So Mustang GT will be in line with G6 'vert when it comes out. I have read G6 is to be $30,000 US
Yeah, the G6 convertible is going to be a pricey piece of machinery. Personally I'd rather go for the GT Mustang Convertible then the G6 one. Yeah it might have a hard top, but the Mustang has styling and performance over the G6 for sure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Saw the GT Mustang 'vert at the Toronto Show, it was so so( but it was there , at least it was there on Monday LOL) did not seat in it.
Saw a LS430 (?)( the hard top) put it roof up. there was VERY little truck room with the roof up.maybe 6 inch the width of the car

·
Registered
55 Posts
Darkhamr said:
The Ford Canada website lists a base GT coupe at $34k and 'vert GT at $38k base. Likely over $40k with matching options that puts it around $10k more than the Saturn so....
ya but who buys a base car in this segment?

the GT coupe i priced out was coming in at around $38KCDN. i don't think i'd ever go for the GT vert...so I'm comapring the GT coupe to a proposed Sky RL (what I want - this discussion would be different if only talking a regular Sky) - if a regular Sky is $30K CDN, then i'd GUESS the Sky RL would be $35KCDN without options at least...add anything and you're coming close to that $38K mustang with 300HP (prolly underated). maybe the SKy RL won't need anything though...? If you look at the Saturn Ion, the Base and RL have a difference of over $10KCDN! The VUE base and RL differ by over $6KCDN so a difference of about $5K is fairly conservative.

see where i'm going with this? i mean of course there are other factors in play here other then price, but the way I'm figuring it (could be way off :willy: ) the GT coupe and Sky RL will come pretty close.

guess this is just another wait and see moment.

kris

·
Registered
535 Posts
Rondosa said:
ya but who buys a base car in this segment?

see where i'm going with this? i mean of course there are other factors in play here other then price, but the way I'm figuring it (could be way off :willy: ) the GT coupe and Sky RL will come pretty close.

guess this is just another wait and see moment.

kris
I see where you are going, like some others here. The problem is I can't relate. I don't compare coupes with convertibles. To me it's like comparing pickups to race cars just because the price is close. Obviously to some it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
844 Posts
$25000 Cdn would be nice, i will have saved up 20000 by this time next year, so i might only need to pay 8000-10000 more in car payments :D

The sky is pricier because it will be slightly more upscale, i have heard that that sky will be fully loaded and come with an automatic tranny (this option usually adds a 1000-3000), whereas the Solstice is much more bare bones with a 5-spd manual.

I am hoping that GM will release a Solstice GXP model with a 6spd and a SC/TC 2.4 ecotec.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts