Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Canada pegged the MSRP at $25,695 CAD v. $19,995 USD using today's exchange rate the Canadian price is a mere $487 CAD higher ($387USD) than the US.

Let's compare that to the "imported" roadsters:

350Z MSRP $52.9 CAD v. $43.4 USD, difference +$9500 CAD ($7500USD)
Z4 MSRP $51.9 CAD v. $43.2 USD, difference +$8700 CAD ($6900USD)
S2000 MSRP $48.9 CAD v. $33.2 USD, difference +$8,000 CAD ($6300USD)
Boxster MSRP $62.0 CAD v. $43.8 USD, difference + $7800 CAD($6200USD)

So on average, we are being hosed to the tune of $8500 CAD ($6700USD) on the exchange rate. I seriously doubt they will "fix" that problem come 2006 model year. Since we spend about another 15% on top of that in fed/provincial taxes the average cost is close to $10,000 CAD for this exchange rate ripoff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Don't you kind of wish that we kicked your ass in the revolutianary war and the war of 1812 now? Then you would be americans and wouldn't have to worry about that almost 10G canadian. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
i've always been a big fan of Canada- i think they are one of the most progressive countries in the western hemisphere. it's just a shame it's so cold up there.
how much is the sales tax? state tax in pennsylvania is adding 6% to my cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
GM Canada pegged the MSRP at $25,695 CAD v. $19,995 USD using today's exchange rate the Canadian price is a mere $487 CAD higher ($387USD) than the US.
The $19,995 includes freight you have to add $930 to the $25,695
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give you that, so we are still $9k ahead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cdb said:
i've always been a big fan of Canada- i think they are one of the most progressive countries in the western hemisphere. it's just a shame it's so cold up there.
how much is the sales tax? state tax in pennsylvania is adding 6% to my cost.
We have a Federal goods and services tax of 7%
Ontario has a sales provincial tax of 8%
So when we buy a new car we pay 15% tax.
If you buy a used car from a dealer, guess what another 15%. The gov makes more on car sales than the dealers do. But we have universal health care etc. and we have to pay for that somehow. Which I wasn't complaining about, I WAS complaining about paying tax on an artificially inflated MSRP. The manufacturers cannot lower the 2006 MSRP without devaluing their used cars and high resale is the attraction of many of these cars (not so sure about the 350Z). So we are stuck with overpriced imports, hence buy North American!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
I know bringing a Canadian car to the US is very difficult, but what about the opposite direction?

If you wait a year or two, the Canadian dollar will probably be worth more than the US dollar, if current trends persist!

(I'm a fan of Canada, too. Had a great vacation in Ontario about 12 years ago & still have my maple leaf pin on my hat. Beautify country, nice people.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WaitingForBoost said:
I know bringing a Canadian car to the US is very difficult, but what about the opposite direction?

If you wait a year or two, the Canadian dollar will probably be worth more than the US dollar, if current trends persist!

(I'm a fan of Canada, too. Had a great vacation in Ontario about 12 years ago & still have my maple leaf pin on my hat. Beautify country, nice people.)
I haven't looked at the regulations in a while, used to be that the car had to be x number of years old and I believe X was decreasing over time. Also depends upon the specific vehicle. Plus you have the expense of doing any modifcations, such as day-time running lights, to meet Canadian safety standards.

But I had pretty much eliminated these other roadsters on other grounds, hence the Solstice makes sense on a number of levels.

You have to go back to the late fifties to hit a time when our dollar was worth more than yours. I'm not holding my breath for it to catch up any time soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
GM Canada pegged the MSRP at $25,695 CAD v. $19,995 USD using today's exchange rate the Canadian price is a mere $487 CAD higher ($387USD) than the US.

So on average, we are being hosed to the tune of $8500 CAD ($6700USD) on the exchange rate. I seriously doubt they will "fix" that problem come 2006 model year. Since we spend about another 15% on top of that in fed/provincial taxes the average cost is close to $10,000 CAD for this exchange rate ripoff.
It cuts both ways. When I bought my Z4 in Nov 2002, the exchange rate was 1.57 Cdn to 1.00 USD and the Canadian Z4 was significantly less expensive than a similarly equipped U.S. Z4. A lot of U.S. Z4 owners on the Z4 message boards were pissin & moaning that they were getting hosed on price vis-a-vis their Canadian counterparts.
I would imagine that it's tough for car companies to predict which way the exchange is going in the next year or 2.
We have the potential of political instability and another Quebec run at a referendum; and in the States there are at least another 3 years of same-old, same-old - debt run-ups, trade deficits, yada-yada, which will necessitate interest rate increases and that will impact exchange rates.
And as for our taxes being high, how else is the Gov't going to pay-off all those Quebec Advertising companies, eh? :cuss:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the simple answer is the prices never go down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
585 Posts
Just pop over the border into New Hampshier ---- there's no sales tax. :)
You can keep it at my place and come down and drive it on the weekends. I'll keep it exercised during the week. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
flaj said:
Just pop over the border into New Hampshier ---- there's no sales tax. :)
You can keep it at my place and come down and drive it on the weekends. I'll keep it exercised during the week. ;)
Sometimes Yankees get a bum rap for appearing not to give a rats-ass for their northern neighbours.
It's nice to see that there are Yanks like you who still care and are even prepared to go out of your way to help us Canucks. :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Skyward said:
Sometimes Yankees get a bum rap for appearing not to give a rats-ass for their northern neighbours.
It's nice to see that there are Yanks like you who still care and are even prepared to go out of your way to help us Canucks. :lol:
Grandmother from Ingersoll, 1/4 Canuck here. Maybe more since had a g.g.f. who got his DVM at Toronto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Canadians still paying too much

I just priced my car on a US website. $22,330USD vs. $30,715CAD.

At today's exchange rate $22,330 USD is $27,774 CAD, so almost $3000 CAD difference.

Good news is we are being hosed less by GM than by BMW, Nissan, Honda and Porsche, but we are paying a premium of more than 10% and on top of that we have no brochures, no posters, no freebees of any description.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
I just priced my car on a US website. $22,330USD vs. $30,715CAD.

At today's exchange rate $22,330 USD is $27,774 CAD, so almost $3000 CAD difference.

Good news is we are being hosed less by GM than by BMW, Nissan, Honda and Porsche, but we are paying a premium of more than 10% and on top of that we have no brochures, no posters, no freebees of any description.
That's why you should always take a tube of vaseline with you when you go shopping for a new car. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Yes, the Canadian health care system does include psychiatric care....does the American educational system teach spelling? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum new member! Just having a play on words... console: to comfort, to alleviate the grief or sense of loss :) That's OK. I realise the English might taught as the other language in your schools. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DreamerDave said:
Welcome to the forum new member! Just having a play on words... console: to comfort, to alleviate the grief or sense of loss :) That's OK. I realise the English might taught as the other language in your schools. :lol:
Play nice guys, we are going to need friends in the deep south to go and visit in our Solsti when they are delivered in December.

With any luck we will be able to our run that Arctic Air Mass.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top