Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most of you I was excited about the Solstice. I rushed in and placed a deposit hoping to be among the first to own one.I had seen it at the auto shows but I had not beeen able to drive it or spend much time in it. Well now I have. I am fortunate to know someone in the business and was able to take a brand new SOLSTICE HOME FOR THE NIGHT. I drove it 100+ miles and imediately rushed to my dealer the next morning to cancel my order.The car has so many flaws I could not believe it. BE SURE YOU DRIVE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT.
First the quality of the interior plastics are embarasing, hard, thin with exposed flashing. As a proper sports car it should have more than just a tach,speedo and a gas gauge.The plastic ring around the gauge cluster is so cheap looking . You can't adjust the passenger seat with out opening the door, the cup holder is impossible to use and in the way of shifting. you can't pull up the parking brake with out hitting your elbow or blowing your drink out of the cup holder.The wind at 80 MPH is so bad it literally moves you around in the seat,at 60 you can't carry on a conversation with the passenger who due to the lack of leg room has their knees up to their ears any way. Increadably while driving at 80 MPH my drink in the cup holder lifted out and flew out of the car. I could not believe it. Admitedly it was almost empty. But it flew out! The engine feels like it has a 400 pound flywheel. It actually pick up RPM's when you lift off the gas.I found out the engine and tranny are form a pick up truck so I guess this should not be a surprise The brake pedal is 1 inch above the gas pedal making heel toedown shifts impossible. This is supposed to be a sports car yet it feels heavy and not a lot of fun.The combonation of really cheapo interior materials , awfull ergonomics, the wind buffeting and a sluggish drive train has chased me away
It is too bad because it looks great.....from 20 feet . Do youself a favor spend some time with the car before you commit. Me I am going to check out the new MX5 Miata. Edmonds.com just did a comparison between it and the solstice. Said the MX5 was "10 BILLION TIMES MORE FUN TO DRIVE".Now if I could just find a Mazda dealer...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ROBERT said:
Like most of you I was excited about the Solstice. I rushed in and placed a deposit hoping to be among the first to own one.I had seen it at the auto shows but I had not beeen able to drive it or spend much time in it. Well now I have. I am fortunate to know someone in the business and was able to take a brand new SOLSTICE HOME FOR THE NIGHT. I drove it 100+ miles and imediately rushed to my dealer the next morning to cancel my order.The car has so many flaws I could not believe it. BE SURE YOU DRIVE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT.
First the quality of the interior plastics are embarasing, hard, thin with exposed flashing. As a proper sports car it should have more than just a tach,speedo and a gas gauge.The plastic ring around the gauge cluster is so cheap looking . You can't adjust the passenger seat with out opening the door, the cup holder is impossible to use and in the way of shifting. you can't pull up the parking brake with out hitting your elbow or blowing your drink out of the cup holder.The wind at 80 MPH is so bad it literally moves you around in the seat,at 60 you can't carry on a conversation with the passenger who due to the lack of leg room has their knees up to their ears any way. Increadably while driving at 80 MPH my drink in the cup holder lifted out and flew out of the car. I could not believe it. Admitedly it was almost empty. But it flew out! The engine feels like it has a 400 pound flywheel. It actually pick up RPM's when you lift off the gas.I found out the engine and tranny are form a pick up truck so I guess this should not be a surprise The brake pedal is 1 inch above the gas pedal making heel toedown shifts impossible. This is supposed to be a sports car yet it feels heavy and not a lot of fun.The combonation of really cheapo interior materials , awfull ergonomics, the wind buffeting and a sluggish drive train has chased me away
It is too bad because it looks great.....from 20 feet . Do youself a favor spend some time with the car before you commit. Me I am going to check out the new MX5 Miata. Edmonds.com just did a comparison between it and the solstice. Said the MX5 was "10 BILLION TIMES MORE FUN TO DRIVE".Now if I could just find a Mazda dealer...
:yawn: :skep: :leaving:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Trollish Review......

This post has Troll written all over it. I test drove the Solstice at a Ride and Drive Event. It is just the opposite of what this puzzling post has to say. Rodeo Jr? Son of Rodeo? Exit Troll............ :leaving:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ntouched said:
This post has Troll written all over it. I test drove the Solstice at a Ride and Drive Event. It is just the opposite of what this puzzling post has to say. Rodeo Jr? Son of Rodeo? Exit Troll............ :leaving:
No, he's not worthy to tie Rodeo's shoelaces! ;) Rodeo gave a fair and honest critique.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...are you lost?

I think you are in the wrong place. The comedy club is down the street. Almost everything you said is the opposite of most others who have seen/driven the Sol have said, including alot (not all) of the reviewers.

About 6 months late for April fool.
:cool:

·
5,600 Posts

DFTT :cuss:

·
Registered
288 Posts
ROBERT said:
Me I am going to check out the new MX5 Miata. Edmonds.com just did a comparison between it and the solstice. Said the MX5 was "10 BILLION TIMES MORE FUN TO DRIVE".Now if I could just find a Mazda dealer...
Sounds like sour grapes from a Mazda dealer. I'm sorry that no one wants to buy the MX-5, but don't take it out on us...

Flagg

·
2,574 Posts
"I found out the engine and tranny are from a pickup truck" That's a real faith shaking comment! Jeez, how'd ya find out? Get run over by one? Sounds like it! :yesnod:

OK, I finally stopped laughing! :lol:

No way this post is on the level ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
ROBERT said:
As a proper sports car it should have more than just a tach,speedo and a gas gauge.
Last time I checked, that was all a "proper" sports car needed. Maybe you should complain about how it should have an automatic tranny to be a "proper" sports car.

ROBERT said:
.......the lack of leg room has their knees up to their ears any way. .
I am sorry, but I am 6'-2", and I had no problem with leg room. I also managed to adjust the seat with the door closed.

ROBERT said:
I found out the engine and tranny are form a pick up truck.
Maybe you need a history lesson on the ecotech engine. It was initially developed by Opel, I believe, and the only reason it is in trucks is because it has shown itself to be a very durable, practical engine. By the way, are you aware that the 350 that is in the corvette is also in trucks?? I guess not. And the Aisian makes transmissions for Volkswagon and BMW, so if that is not enough creditials for you, I do not know what would be.

And sorry that you almost lost your cup, but what did you expect, it is a convertible. If you do not like the wind in your hair, buy a coup.

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
ntouched said:
Notice he just joined in October????? Why???? But going to test a Miata.I have had ny car for over a week. The power is good for me.We took our car on highway to see if there was a wind problem, not in my car. But the cup holders are in a strange place. I believe this miata lover just joined to trash the car.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
... you might want to edit that, or you might earn a ban. ;)
Eh... I think it was well deserved. Besides, Brentil or somebody will remove it if it's deemed TOO offensive. However, in this case I think it fits the bill perfectly. I will admit that the puke pic was slightly over the top though. ;)

BTW, I'm not attaching. I'm posting them with the IMG tag. Search the forum FAQ and/or play with all the buttons on the reply page. Press the quote button on my post with the pic and you'll see the images address wrapped in the image tag. That's how you do it. Attachments are different.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
... you might want to edit that, or you might earn a ban. ;)
:agree: and your repost of his as well remember this is the family channel.

truck engine and tranny, so? Triumph TR was a tractor engine(that's what TR stands for, look it up)

tranny is virtually same as Honda Civic Si, no slouch, and where does GMC use the Ecotech? They have an I5, V6, and V8. Give us those and yeah, we'll take them.

was given a "new" car to drive, preproduction at best and we know there are fit and finish issues with them

plastic interior, what does he want, rich corinthian leather or Nerf, hey Nerf interiors, eliminate the airbag, good idea

So the coffee cup flew out. BMW (according to Nov MT) has that cornered sitting still as their holders self-eject contents. Yet here we offer something found in a $60,000 German enfineered car and he finds fault.

He's not worthy, not worthy, not worthy to even be called a troll, nor to be mentioned in teh same thread as our dear Rodeo - oops. :lol:

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
dori-san said:
Eh... I think it was well deserved. Besides, Brentil or somebody will remove it if it's deemed TOO offensive.
I am not toooo old and I think the "F" word is TOO offensive, but I guess to a 21ish YO it is not. ;) (Maybe you need my new avatar! ;) :lol: )

dori-san said:
BTW, I'm not attaching. I'm posting them with the IMG tag. Search the forum FAQ and/or play with all the buttons on the reply page. Press the quote button on my post with the pic and you'll see the images address wrapped in the image tag. That's how you do it. Attachments are different.
Been there, done that, but still no go. Oh well, as I use to tell others "It must be O.E. --- Operator Error!" ;) :lol: I will work on it in the TEST thread. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unclaimed cars from 1st 1000

Dealer near me called and said he had 3 Solstices coming in from the 1st 1000 that are unclaimed because of buyers backing out. I have a meeting this afternoon to find the specifics of the incoming cars. I want to first find out if I will comfortable in the car, I'm 6'1" in height and can operate the pedals without banging my knees on the steering column.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.