Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just attended our state fair and our local Saturn dealer had a "Sky" on display there. Have you seen this thing? The interior, frame,motor, etc. are exactly the same.It is a Solstice with a different body! Here I thought I was buying something unique, I'm sure there'll be more clones on the way, thanks to GM.
Check it out for yourselves.http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroom/future_vehicles/sky.jsp?nav=710&flashOK=yes

·
1,492 Posts
Well, i see you're new, nice to see you active.
Since i started looking at the Solback in May, new there was a Sky- see Saturn.com and their forum site. Also a euopean model on same, all three come from same factory.

YES, you did order something unique- its called solstice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Uhhh kaasmo,

How much research did you do before you ordered your Solstice??? It's been common knowlege from the start that the Sol and Sky would share the same the same basic platform.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Had an MG Midget, same car as an Austin Healey Sprite. That wasn't Gm it was BMC.

To justify developing a new platform, more than one car has to be produced. But these are still low volume cars, they are even going to be reasonably exclusive. But they are not exotics and not being produced at under 5,00 numbers per year. This IS a once in a lifetime opportunity.

There were probably naysayers back in '53 when the Corvette came out, but I was too young to read car magazines back then. Hence, que cares, Solstice is unique, Sky is unique, it's all good. ;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This thread so far seems to lead to another thread that may have been addressed, and that is given two identical cars such as the Solstice/Sky, Camaro/Firebird, Dodge Challenger (early 70's)/Cuda (I believe?)....which would you prefer.

I had a 68 SS Camaro, I definitely prefered it the the Firebird, but looking at the Solstice/Sky, I prefer the Solstice. I like the front end better-sans license plate.

What do you all think?

PS. I'd take a 1970 Plum Crazy Challenger with white interior, Hemi and pistol grip shifter......and then probably put it into a tree at a very high speed

·
Registered
210 Posts
Iowa State Fair

kaasmo said:
I just attended our state fair and our local Saturn dealer had a "Sky" on display there. Have you seen this thing? The interior, frame,motor, etc. are exactly the same.It is a Solstice with a different body! Here I thought I was buying something unique, I'm sure there'll be more clones on the way, thanks to GM.
Check it out for yourselves.http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroom/future_vehicles/sky.jsp?nav=710&flashOK=yes
We also saw the Sky at the Iowa State Fair - the 2 people that were working the Sky booth stated that the Solstice would be a much better car - more options, etc. Too bad we couldn't have had a Solstice at the fair!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
And, if I'm not mistaken, there are supposed to be enhancements to suspension, etc., so they are not exctly the same car with different, very similar, of course, but who cares? You don't get unique, exclusive cars for under $25,000. And yet, we will have cars that are pretty unique and exclusive. These are good times for sports car lovers!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
morts01 said:
We also saw the Sky at the Iowa State Fair - the 2 people that were working the Sky booth stated that the Solstice would be a much better car - more options, etc. Too bad we couldn't have had a Solstice at the fair!
Don't know who they were, but they really don't know what their talking about, because the Sky comes with those options as standard equipment.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A lot of folks here (myself included) have question the wisdom of GM making the Sol and Sky so similar, but, that said, the existence of the Sky shouldn't come as surprise to anyone. It's been common knowledge for more than a year.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
TerpFan said:
Welcome to the board! Now you need to get caught up on the last 8 months of news. :)
I'll second that :thumbs:

Welcome kaasmo :cheers: There are also plans for several other kappa platform cars but they will most likely be even lower volume then Sky. GM needs to make money and spreading the platform to several cars is good business.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
mceb said:
I'll second that :thumbs:

Welcome kaasmo :cheers: There are also plans for several other kappa platform cars but they will most likely be even lower volume then Sky. GM needs to make money and spreading the platform to several cars is good business.
:agree: Plus it's very smart business. And it's not even new. Car companies were doing this back in the 30's. Look at say a coupe of a Chevy, Buick Pontiac and Olds from those years and you will see that they were built on virtually the same platform. It cuts development and production costs and enables a manufacturer to produce and sell competitive products.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thankyou for all the Replys!

I'm not a car buff, my first love are motocycles.We ordered # 9 of an allotment of 10 from our local Pontiac dealer here is Des Moines. It's actually an anniversary gift for my wife. No, I hadn't read anything about it or the Sky before we ordered it. She wanted a 2 seater ( BMW Z4 ) I saw the Solstice and fell in love with it. So we ordered a fully loaded "pure" one w/ ebony leather and hopefully will show up by December. Thanks for all the replys regarding my dismay. I guess your right, there has been similars over the years. I just didn't know something so similar was already in the making. Kaasmo

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
In Houston, this spring, they had the Sky and Solstice shown close enough together that you could see them both at the same time (from a distance.)What struck me was how very different they were. The Sky has a Cadillac edgy style where the Solstice has a very rounded, almost organic look. I really don't think they will be seen to be as closely styled as the Camaro/Firebird siblings.

There's only so much you can do with any small, two seated roadster when it comes to variations in style, especially when they're built on the same frame. You could stretch the wheelbase a few inches but it wouldn't be noticed enough by the masses to justify the cost. They did a great job in differentiating the two.

·
Registered
265 Posts
hmm.. anyone know, do all the sky models have that black and red interior? ugh. i think it would clash pretty horribly with some of the exterior colors. i didn't care much for the chrome all over either.. glad i ordered a sol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
SKY vs SOLSTICE

The Sky and Solstice will share the frame Primary Structure and underpinnings. Shocks,springs ,tires, and motor will have different characteristics from the Solstice. Same cars but entirely different. The Sky I saw had black and silver int.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I would say that the Sky is the "alter ego" of the Solstice. ;) The Sky comes across edgy,while the Solstice is smooth. In my opinion, they come across totally different, so I would not call them "clones."

·
4,592 Posts
Gmlinedog said:
The Sky and Solstice will share the frame Primary Structure and underpinnings. Shocks,springs ,tires, and motor will have different characteristics from the Solstice. Same cars but entirely different. The Sky I saw had black and silver int.
Is one going for a performance edge with those differences you mentioned? IOW, is one going to be known for performance, one for comfort?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have read that they plan on turbo/supercharging both, but the stats have not been in stone yet. 240HP from what i hear. Personally i would want to own both, each has its perks. Right now i personally love the Solstice for its CLASSY SEXY LOOK as in the old type Roadsters. The Sky looks like a cross between a Lambo and a Ferrari, still good, but only time will tell. I hope to see both very soon up close. I will still go with the Solstice because of that "Classic" look. B-E-A-UTIFUL....!!! But again its up to what your eyes/mind like. 2 Each his/her own... I think the hardest thing would be after your decide what you want is the COLOR.... Later....... :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts