Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title implies, I can't close my driver's door. It just bounces back open when I open it from the inside. I can try to close it numerous times, and it just continues to bounce back open. If I grab the outside handle and pull on it, it will USUALLY close. Sometimes it still bounces and takes a few pulls of the outside handle. I just shot a ton of WD40 (comparable, but grease product) into the latch area and still nothing. Any help is appreciated......

On a side note, we've had 3"+ of rain in the last 24 hours.... I don't know if that would have anything to do with it, and yes....my baby has sat outside in it.... :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Only thing that comes to mind is the latch striker. I've had these come out of position on other cars, causing similar symptoms (or causing door to rattle from not closing completely). Should be a torx or two holding it in (do not remember exactly on our cars). Generally can be adjusted pretty easily by loosening the bolts, and should not take a lot of movement to get in line if it is out.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only thing that comes to mind is the latch striker. I've had these come out of position on other cars, causing similar symptoms (or causing door to rattle from not closing completely). Should be a torx or two holding it in (do not remember exactly on our cars). Generally can be adjusted pretty easily by loosening the bolts, and should not take a lot of movement to get in line if it is out.
I can actually feel the mechanism getting stuck. When I pull on the door handle on the inside, there is no resistance. When I correct the problem buy pulling on the outside door handle, there is resistance again, but it gets stuck again and then no resistance....

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Is the seatbelt in the way?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope....that was my first thought. I've had that happen several times, but no seatbelt..... If I open it from inside, something inside the door gets stuck, but if I pull on the outer handle, it releases and usually allows me to close the door.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Have you tried to leave the door open and use your remote to "lock" and then "unlock" the door mechanism while the door is still open? Sometimes this will free up the locking mechanism inside the door. Only then will it close properly and then stop bouncing when trying to close. This is what happened to me last year when some idiot drove into my driver's side door. My car did the same thing at first until I used my remote.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You knkw now that you mentioned it, just before this started happening yesterday, my drivers door didnt unlock when I hit the remote. I had to hit it a second time to get it to unlock.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Looks like Red's on the trail. Apparently someone else discovered the tendency for the mechanism to hang up in a partially deployed position.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/door-wouldnt-latch-59998/

I'd do as the above poster did and pop that door panel off and get to lubing all the pivot points and cable. Let us know if you need insight on panel removal. (It's not very difficult as long as you know where all the attachment points are.)

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a post of where all of the attachment points are? My buddy and I are going to look for my brake fluid leak issue tonight and might as well do this too.... (He has a hoist in his heated garage....it's awesome!)

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
There is a PDF file in this link:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/need-remove-drivers-door-inside-panel-58203/

Item 2 has a little "lock tab" toward the back that you can access with a small screwdriver to release and then draw it out toward you (back first). You can then access the screw behind it.

Item 3 you need to pry carefully from the front toward the back, I BELIEVE. Soup or someone else can confirm this.

I believe there is another thread with "step by step" directions. Try the search function.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts