Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pontiac can't seem to give away the 2004 GTO's. A $33,000 350 hp car that looks like a Chevy Cavalier. A local dealer is advertising a yellow 2004 6-speed for $21,459 after discounts and rebates! I predict after the current discounts/rebates expire January 3rd that Pontiac may have to blow them out at $19,999 to clear them off the lots. Hmmmm...Hurry up with the Solstice Pontiac!

2005 with upgraded hood

Upcoming Solstice

·
5,600 Posts
It must be the homely exterior. Because it really is a wonderful car, with one of the nicest interiors I've sat in lately. At $21,000 it would be a steal (barely more than a loaded Honda Civic). It really is too bad it is so bland, uninspired looking. If the looks were good, it would be one of the nicest GT cars on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
jimbo said:
It must be the homely exterior. Because it really is a wonderful car, with one of the nicest interiors I've sat in lately. At $21,000 it would be a steal (barely more than a loaded Honda Civic). It really is too bad it is so bland, uninspired looking. If the looks were good, it would be one of the nicest GT cars on the road.
I agree 100% jimbo. Car enthusiasts won't pay $30K for a high performance vehicle if it looks like a car from the Budget rental fleet. I drove a 2004 6-speed GTO at the GM car show and WOW! This thing hauls ass and has a beautiful leather interior to boot. The engineers really did an excelent job dialing in the exhaust note. It's PERFECT!!! I did a power slide on the course and almost got kicked out!

2004 GTO

2003 Cavalier

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have been very tempted to pick up a leftover GTO as a daily driver! I have been thinking of getting a sportier daily driver to begin with (currently I have a Jeep Wrangler).

Best deal I can find is getting the car at invoice (about $31000) minus a $5500 rebate plus $1000 in certificates, which puts the purchase price at $24,500. I could probably get another $500 certificate, but after that I would need other GM rebates to get it lower. The lower prices generally are including GM Credit Card rebates, which GM is boosting to try and blow out GTO's. I just don't have a card. Still, at $24,500 it is one screaming deal.

Two things have been holding me back. First is drving this beast in the winter. High horsepower RWD vehicles with wide tires are not the ideal for Buffalo winters. I probably could survive ok with snow tires, but it would not be easy.

The second is the Solstice. If the Solstice comes out in the fall, I am likely to wait until early spring 2006 to get it, since it would just sit in my garage over the winter anyway. However, if it shows up late spring to summer next year, I will be dying to get one and wouldn't be able to right away until I recover the $$ spent to get the GTO.

As for the GTO itself. I guess I am in the minority, but I think it looks really good. Clean lines, strong character line down the side. In person it looks low and wide, giving it a fast appearance. Yet, it doesn't look boy racer at all. More of a mature sporty car. Most people have complained about it not looking much like an old GTO, but I wasn't born yet when the last GTO rolled off the line, so that is not a big deal for me. So the lack of nostalgic styling doesn't bother me. Its also got the best interior of any GM product in this country, only rivaled by some Cadilacs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checking online inventory searches at local So Cal dealers shows many 2004 GTO's sitting on dealer lots. I predict one last incentive/rebate boost after the new year to clear out remaining 2004 GTO inventory. $21-22K for a brand new GTO would be a killer deal!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hell I might buy one at that price. How does it handle? For those of you that have driven it. I know it's a pretty heavy car. But the interior is soooo nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent handling, but car is a bit heavy due to robust construction for rough roads down under. Here is the ad in my local So Cal newspaper classifieds for a new 2004 GTO. Check out that blowout price!!! $9,701 dollars off the discounted selling price...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ya there was a red GTO here in town that was under 24G sticker and incentives from GM ontop of that. It was a Six speed.
The car looks good to me, not perfect but good. The big problems I have with it is there is absolutly no leg room in the back seats and no trunk space at all. Looks like the Sol might have a bigger trunk than the GTO.
But the new GTO's will get the 400HP LS2. Maybe that will help?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I kinda like the GTO. I agree that the styling is very plain, but in this day and age, it's nice to see a new design that's plain, rather than ugly. I'm tempted by the low prices that dealers are getting now, but still think I'll hold out for the Solstice. If the Solstice really bombs (which I doubt), maybe I can pick up a leftover '04 GTO this summer! :smile

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The new hood definetely helps give it some better looks. However I love the bright orange Woodward Dream Cruise employee program GTO they showed off. It was one very nice looking piece of machinery.

·
Registered
667 Posts
As much as I hate (not really) to be the "ole fart w/ sour grapes". I have said it before, I known GTO's...This ain't no GTO! :rant This so called GTO has no soul!

"If GM is to become that global juggernaut, it must first renew its American soul."
TOM WALSH

Good Read

·
Registered
182 Posts
The problem with the GTO, as most of us agree on, is its plain styling. For its asking price it does not look different or special enough. Once you start to enter the 30 to 35 k range there are many many options out there that make the GTO less compelling. Also, I believe some of the slowdown is because of the new mustang. The mustang is slightly cheaper, almost as quick, and looks a hell of alot better. Another reason for a slowdown is that next year the GTO comes with 50 more hp. If i were to drop that much money on a new car I would wait for the 2005 GTO or would buy a mustang before I spend 30k on a 2004 GTO. However at 20,000 the GTO becomes very compelling.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Brian said:
The problem with the GTO, as most of us agree on, is its plain styling. For its asking price it does not look different or special enough. Once you start to enter the 30 to 35 k range there are many many options out there that make the GTO less compelling. Also, I believe some of the slowdown is because of the new mustang. The mustang is slightly cheaper, almost as quick, and looks a hell of alot better. Another reason for a slowdown is that next year the GTO comes with 50 more hp. If i were to drop that much money on a new car I would wait for the 2005 GTO or would buy a mustang before I spend 30k on a 2004 GTO. However at 20,000 the GTO becomes very compelling.
I was thinking the problem was just the opposite. The styling is fine, its the name badge! Too many people dislike it because it is not a "real GTO." The styling is otherswise on the conservative side, but so are a zillion high performance 2 door coupe/sedans. Its a sleek look that has an aggressive sdtance to it without looking boy racer. Had they given it an original name, and not GTO, I think it would have done what they expected. Maybe not too, but you never know. At least it wouldn't have received so much negative press for not being a GTO.

I think its a funny complaint anyway, but I am not old enough to remember an original GTO (actually, they are all oder than me!). So the lack of a styling connection doesn't bug me much.

I wish they would have redeisnged the Trans Am myself. The GTO is nice, but I have always loved Trans Ams! Ny uncle hooked me as a youngin on his 79 TA (which he bought new and still has, its an awesome car!).

·
Registered
397 Posts
My friend has an 04 GTO auto which I drove.

Good handler, probably more potential than most can use. The IRS works well on bumpy Michigan on ramps. Rides too stiff for how it performs. Power was good, I was doing 100 on I75 without realizing it. The interior looked great to me and had high quality materials. The steering ratio was too slow for my taste. Telescoping wheel was welcome. Exhaust note was great. I'd get one but I'm 23 and insurance would kill me...I'm taking donations.

There was a good amount of rear seat room. I rode in back and am 6'2". It wasn't roomy back there but it was tolerable.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
21k to 25k? That's where the price for this car should have been all along. GM, if you want to revive old muscle cars, take a peep over at Ford. That's how you build modern muscle cars.

Pontiac could easily fix the GTO's problems with a face lift front and back, but will they? I doubt it. More than likely they will let it sell another year or two as is, then kill it. Then when someone at GM says in the future "Hey, lets build a modern muscle car!" they'll say "Oh no, remember the GTO dissaster? We'd better stick to fuggly rental sedans." They don't seem too commited to product improvement after the first year. The attitude seems to be, hold off as long as possible and do as little as possible when there is a problem.

So the GTO will plod along much like it is, with incentives and discounts and lose alot of money, rather than quickly admit a mistake and face lift that sucker quick and salvage an otherwise great car and maybe even be able to get the 30 something grand they want for it. Believe it or not, styling sells cars. Fortunately car companies are starting to re-discover this.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You should check out this GMI thread about the 2005 Sport Pakage.
http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=9713

The car looks really nice in my opinion. Since I dind't grow up back in the day when the real GTO was new I'm not stuck on the old styling. Personally I think the new GTO makes a nice car. I think it needs to be cheaper with the current motor it has, with theupgrade option to the newer 2005 engine along with more options as well.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I don't think they are just going to kill the GTO after a couple years. This car is essentially a placeholder until they can get its replacement ready.

GM is working on a new GTO that will be out in a couple years, and built off a new RWD platform codenamed Zeta. That car will have to sink or slim, but I have a feeling GM will bring it out regardless of what the current GTO does. It will be built in North America which should help keep pricing down. Hopefully the styling will be closer to what people want too. Since its an all new design, I would expect nothing less than a great looking muscle car. I have also seen rumor that the Zeta GTO may also have available AWD which will certainly help sales in northern climates.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
A very high performance AWD would be awesome. Especially if they improve on the current styling even more.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts