Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Canvas Solstice Garage Memorabilia decor

1K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  billdaman 
#1 · (Edited)
Just had some of my memorabilia from my time on the GM GMX 020 project and a couple others transferred to canvas to fill some open space in the Garage bay where the Solstice lives.

The Pontiac architecture print was from the earliest issue of the architecture and content from GM Portfolio Engineering. It was still not an approved program when I received this slide in meeting with the team that was starting the design to cost process.

I know I will never get an Apprentice Dealer Solstice banner, but if the Storyboard I am building begins with Franz’s original sketch, through portfolio and architecture development, early packaging, etc, it makes perfect sense to end with the Apprentice ad, all of which fit nicely onto standard sizes for canvas transfer.

Always wanted to move these artifacts from the totes in the attic to the garage walls! Problem is you never know the finished quality till they arrive, but the software liked all as excellent resolution except the Apprentice one.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tire Automotive design

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice

Unfortunately the only area in the PunisheR garage now is the cieling and that is filling up with NASSAM banners. LOL

#14 · (Edited)
look at the cutaway, the frenders seem to be 1 peice front to door....prototype car?.
It was created during Beta builds, but the fender portion was just shaded in for effect.

Now the print with the Pontiac symbol on the top was pre beta, pre project approval, it was not yet an approved project but the architecture was being defined for the proposal to the North American Operations Leadership board. Even Lutz couldn’t red stamp a vehicle as an approved program until it passed this process. That is where my team came in. We defined the Architecture in Design to cost exercises.

Most definitely they didn’t know what that sheet metal break out would be at that point, nor did they care, it was just a given that it would have front fenders!

#19 ·
Ah ok, did they really use that or was it just a thing of the first start up? Must be confusing to use the same disignation for four different cars.
It is similar to the "Kappa" designation, and that doesn't seem to be too confusing.

It is actually more specific than Kappa, as it only applies to the convertibles. The Solstice Coupe is designated GMX627.

#21 · (Edited)
This is true, for me it’s always the GMX 020 as that is the program I worked on from concept through portfolio engineering, through design, prototype, test and launch. The Coupe came after I left GM in 2007. Not to besmirch anyone, their prized vehicles or anything negative but to be honest, I am not a fan of the coupe. Why? It just must equate to my ignorance of the Jewel effect of that change in the vehicles shape

#22 ·
I think its a like it or dont care for it. I think the coupe is nice looking, the wife doesn't . But then again she always wanted a convert.
When she first brought this up to me , I told her we have a convertable , its 2 door , 4 wheel disc,2.5LNA, 5 speed manual and red Does that sound like a Solstice? LOL its my CJ5 . she wasn't having that.

#23 · (Edited)

This is true, for me it’s the always the GMX 020 as that is the program I worked on from concept through portfolio engineering, through design, prototype, test and launch. Coupe came after I left GM. Not to besmirch anyone, their prized vehicles or anything negative, guess I never was a fan of the Coupe. Thats why, as my garage wall shows it’s the GMX020 for me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.