Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to even order my Solstice, so this doesnt concern me yet, but I was wondering what people's opinions are regarding theft prevention for the Solstice.

If I were a 1st 1000 owner I would be VERY worried due to the rarity and popularity of this car, however this ought to wear off a bit as production continues thru 2006 and beyond.

Anyways, what are the best anti-theft devices? I personally HATE noise machine car alarms that people simply ignore as a nuisance. But I do like silent alarms with a key fob alarm for the owner or an electronic disabler that prevents car thieves unless they own a flatbed tow-truck.

I am pretty sure that my first drive in my Solstice (when I buy it) will be straight to a local car audio-alarm shop to get some sort of device installed since I will have to park my car on the street at night and car theft worries me a bit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i gaurentee they butcher your car, installing an alarm yourself isnt that hard just read the manual. now its the remote start with theftlock 3 is annoying as hell, that is if you have an automatic. i still cant get the bypass unit to work on my cavalier, sooo no remote start for me!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well we do have a trunk release, so I'm sure a Trunk Monkey unit will be available shortly after the car hits the streets in good numbers. Rumor has it that not even a pygmy chimp will fit though and they might have to settle on a big lemur.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
There are several companies that make alarms that will call your cell if the alarm goes off (I happen to work for one). That's what I'm having installed in my Sky, though I'll still want the noise machine siren- people who know me don't ignore my alarm. My current car has a two-way remote that beeps to alert me, but I have to be within 1000 feet. Good enough for work, home, the bar, and even Target, but not so great at the mall.

As for them butchering your car, your best bet is to go to a well-established aftermarket alarm/stereo place (not a big box chain store) with a good local reputation. Those kinds of places tend to take pride in their workmanship and stand behind what they've done.

Doing it yourself may not be a problem for some people, but I have seen installation manuals and found them to be quite intimidating. My current alarm was installed by the guys the pros call when they need help and it took most of a day. Had I tried to put my own alarm in, I guarantee that I would never have been able to integrate it with the GM PassLock III that came standard in the car.

I also would be cautious messing around with the wiring in the car unless I knew exactly what I was doing, and probably even if I did. One of the beautiful things about hiring other people to do things for you is that they have to fix anything that gets screwed up.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
stang said:
I'm not a fan of car alarms. If someone wants your car they can get it.
:agree:

I will let the Insurance Agent and the Police sort things out. If someone really wants your car, then they will get it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
:agree:

For the longest time I wanted to install an alarm system on my car, but not for the alarm. Just so that I could have remote locks... cause fumbling with my keys when it's pouring down rain is majorly sucky. I've never had a car with remote locks before, so that's all I wanted... the alarm would have just been a bonus feature. :D

Good news is though that my Solstice will have my remote like I always wanted! :thumbs:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not that worried about theft. Let me explain why:

1. The majority of auto theft is for parts for very popular, mass (MASS) produced models. (The reason the Camry and Accord are in the top ten in America) http://www.statefarm.com/insuranc/auto/nicbcars/grndthft.htm I'd be more worried if I drove a grocery-getter instead of a Solstice.

2. Solstice is limited numbers, reducing the "market", i.e. less potential customers for parts.

3. The Solstice will turn heads, it will even get people to stop and back up so they can stare without getting a sore neck (from the constant head turning). Point here is that if word gets around of a stolen Solstice, odds are good that it will be reported. This is a negative for most professional car thieves.

4. Rest of the thefts are mainly joyrides and the PASS KEY III should prevent that.

What I am worried about is rabid fans drooling all over my Mysterious/Ebony Solstice when they find it parked and unattended.

That is why I have decided to go this route:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/232777.stm :devil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts