Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Chuck Mallett - November 18 wrote:

Just got back today from Car and Driver test......

Larry Webster drove the V8 Solstice to a best of 12.70 113.7
in 29 degree track temp and 44 deg tire temp and snowing hard ! and a 4.4 0 to 60 in the same track conditions.

She pulled a 99.7 G going to the right and a 98.8 G going to the left. In the same 29 deg snowing wet 44 deg tire temp conditions!!!!

That's is way better than a Corvette!

I you want to post the numbers.........

Just thought you would want to be the first to know!!!

Chuck

·
Registered
393 Posts
you mean 1.00g's.. haha.. That's awesome times. His 60' times must have been a little slow. But launching that thing is probably a lot of work. Good MPH though.... and the skidpad is outragous.. Good job Mallett.

Jay

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Have they upgraded the tires yet? You said on the drag-strip runs, they were still on RS-A and spinning the tires.

Who owns this car, Mallet or TerpFan? I thought it was Terp's car.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
no. terp gave the car up to Mallett. He will end up owning the first sky conversion they do.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
dealernut said:
no. terp gave the car up to Mallett. He will end up owning the first sky conversion they do.
Oh the sacrifices made by some! Wow. I could not have done that.

I won't even give her up to a girlfriend. Wait a minute, let me think about that. Well, maybe. Geez, why are men so weak?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
still waiting for vids, we need to hear it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Somehow, 18k for that kind of performance is sounding more reasonable everytime... Just wish the gov't would forgive my student loans...hmmm...
I wonder how I can make 18k in 6 months... :devil:

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Let him know that it would create a good amount of interest and would be well worth the cost to pay who ever handles his website. The videos would be posted everywhere, Solstice Forums, Corvette Forums, Chevy Forums, Miata Forums, Street Race Forums, Hot Rod Forums, etc.....
When someone finds something cool a video is the best way to share it with others.

When I worked at STS I had guys calling up all day asking about the turbo kits based on the videos they saw somewhere

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
IRON MAN said:
Somehow, 18k for that kind of performance is sounding more reasonable everytime... Just wish the gov't would forgive my student loans...hmmm...
Grad school, and live at home with 'rents on the cheap. Cash that student loan check and use it for the car, cheapest loan you can get right now.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
IRON MAN said:

Do you have a cell phone?

Can someone drive you to the bank?

OK, get a piece of paper and a pen and write the following.............. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
TerpFan said:
From Chuck Mallett - November 18 wrote:

Just got back today from Car and Driver test......

Larry Webster drove the V8 Solstice to a best of 12.70 113.7
in 29 degree track temp and 44 deg tire temp and snowing hard ! and a 4.4 0 to 60 in the same track conditions.

She pulled a 99.7 G going to the right and a 98.8 G going to the left. In the same 29 deg snowing wet 44 deg tire temp conditions!!!!

That's is way better than a Corvette!

I you want to post the numbers.........

Just thought you would want to be the first to know!!!

Chuck
WAY better? Let's not exaggerate... the car should speak for itself.

The average lat accel works out to 0.99g - if accurate, that's what they will report.

The specs on the C6 Corvette:
0-60 4.3 Seconds,
1/4 mile in 12.7 sec @ 113 MPH
Skidpad (assume at Chelsea's proving ground, where, IIRC, C&D does most of their testing) is 0.98g

Keep in mind, that these numbers are corrected to standard conditions for the corvette, which is basically closer to a cool, dry spring day at sea level
side bar on standard conditons: (standard conditions vary by magazine and by manufacturer - some use 70 deg F/sea level/50% humidity, others use 60 deg F/sea level/0%. I think C&D's std conditions are 60 deg F).
The net effect of these corrections, (that SHOULD also be applied and I would expect to be applied for an "article" written about the car) would be to reduce the performance of the Solstice - the largest of the factors on most of the michigan test facilities is temperature, and engine make more than rated power at lower temps.

A Corvette, on a 40 deg F day, may be able to shave another 0.15 to 0.2 seconds off both the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

I can't comment on the lateral acceleration measurements - usually, either you get grip (which it seems like it did) or you are too cold for the setup and you measure 0.8-something or 0.10g less - meaning it's too cold for the tires to grip properly.

for more interesting comparo:

The C6 Z06 (an amazing and somewhat intimidating machine to drive with active handling disengaged, but INCREDIBLE amounts of fun) specs:

0-60 in 3.7 seconds
1/4 mile in 11.7 sec @ 129 MPH
Skidpad, magazine test dependent, .99 g - 1.02 g

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
ummmm, SM, did you notice the following:

"in 29 degree track temp and 44 deg tire temp and snowing hard !"

Is it even POSSIBLE to get results like that on a snowy track? I'd have to see it to believe it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: 11/24/05

From Mallett Cars - Larry Webster reran the Solstice on the skid pad in the same temps but NO snow this time!! ....... 1.02 G's going right and 1.02 G's going left. There is a correction factor that will put it at 1.01 or 1.015 G's.

Looks like there will be bump up on the performance numbers on the skid pad. Starting to think with the right transmission and rear gearing we have a Corvette beater; well maybe up to 130 miles per hour anyway ;-)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts