Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my car hits almost 5k rpm my car bogs out and check engine light comes on just until I shift gears.

I was told I need spark plugs, any ideas?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
What DTC did you get? Start there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Check for clogged cat, are you boosting? If so don't push it cuz it might also be detonating.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Sounds like a clogged cat. I know a guy who has one for when you get frustrated 'cause you can't get one through GM!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It through my check engine light on but it went off this morning so i couldn't scan it when I cranked up. I was planning on buying a high flow cat from solo if that's the problem

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Did you scan it even though the light wasn't on? Just 'cause the light is off doesn't mean a code isn't stored.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I've read on the forum that you can take out one of the O2 sensors (in front of the cat) to test. Make a helluva lot of sense 'cause if you eliminate the restriction you won't get the hesitation. Noisy, but a quick diagnostic.

·
Registered
426 Posts
When my car hits almost 5k rpm my car bogs out and check engine light comes on just until I shift gears.
Thanks!Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be one of my coil packs. My check engine light came on and indicated I had a misfire on cylinder #2. The tech switched the coil pack to #3 cylinder and drove it again. Then the misfire went to cylinder #3. I replaced the coil pack and no more problems. I have read about this problem a couple of times so it is worth looking in to. Please let us know how things turn out.:lurk:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f59/need-some-spark-plug-help-please-73383/

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be one of my coil packs. My check engine light came on and indicated I had a misfire on cylinder #2. The tech switched the coil pack to #3 cylinder and drove it again. Then the misfire went to cylinder #3. I replaced the coil pack and no more problems. I have read about this problem a couple of times so it is worth looking in to. Please let us know how things turn out.:lurk:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f59/need-some-spark-plug-help-please-73383/
I have heard this could be an issue too. Hopefully I can check it out tomorrow and fix whatever it is.

Can any of the coil packs be changed around and swapped out with each other? I might try this tomorrow and checking my cat converter too.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Thanks!

I hope this is worked out quickly for you. Please PM me if you take it to a dealership to have it serviced. Keep us posted.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PROBLEM FIXED (permanently I hope), I checked my spark plugs and 1 wasn't screwed in enough and I had a sensor loose, I think it was an O2 sensor.

I'll update if problem isn't fixed but I took a test drive and all is well as of now!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE #1 - Still isn't fixed.

Going to check the ignition coil pack, o2 sensors and cat converter.

Hopefully 1 of these 3 is the problem and easy fix.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE 2 (and the final update) :)

the problem was that my ignition coil ground wire that connects to the engine slowly began melting and after today I connected it back and the problem is gone!!!

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
lol - We'll hang out and just make sure the "final" update is the "final" update. : )

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far so good, been driving it hard and everything is in working order. I'm glad it was a free fix, I could have easily spent a lot of money on parts that wouldn't have worked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts