Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the solstice 2 weeks today....there's no light or code appearing. Dealer can't find anything wrong. Help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Used 2007 70000 miles. I brought it to a Gm dealer and they can't find anything. I have mentioned the position actuator to them because I saw it in other threads but they said it would show up with a code.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
If your car is an auto, then you may be having the deceleration jerking.

The cam position servo and the position senser can experience intermittent operation. Several instances of hard shifting with no codes were solved by replacing the two units. If it were my car I would change them. They are relatively cheap.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
The referenced thread is to the best of my knowledge the most comprehensive collection of information about this hard shifting problem.

After considerable data collection and conversation, the ony fix that has successfully addressed the hard down shift problem is swapping out the cam position sensors and cam servos. No other fix has solved this problem.

Clearly the "failure" that results in the hard shifts is not generally a "hard" failure. If it were a hard failure then the TCM would be in protection mode and every downshift would be hard. The way this problem presents is once in several 10s of shifts you get a hard shift. After 2-3 events, the driver seeks help from the dealer maintenance personnel who test the car, see no hard shift because they drive it for a short enough duration that the hard shift does not occur. No codes show so you end up with the determination that "could not duplicate" the problem and they send you off on your own. You drive for a day or a week and BANG you get a hard downshift. After two or three more you take it back to the dealer who can't duplicate . . . and so it goes until your servo or sensor finally fails totally at which time the dealer can do something about it.

Thus my recco that you just read the threads that describe in detail how to swap out the offending units, complete with pictures, and just do it. It is likely to address the problem. If it does not, then you are unique and may have some other new type of failure.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Back in 88 I got married, had a kid and the wife made me sell my78 TA with 500HP so we could buy a "family" car or at least something that didn't shoot 4 foot flames out the exhaust pipes. Since I was still a kid, I talked her into an 88 camaro with V6 and auto. needless to say I still had the need for speed and I dogged the ever loving sh$t out of that thing and what you are describing is a result of some rough use and neglect. Could be a dirty intake, low vacuum, old fluid and filter and or the actuators / vacuum modules. Might even be a burned / melted vacuum hose. I'd replace the cheaper parts first, then look into getting the fluid changed and tranny serviced. Also, check your plugs, clean the intake and if it's still not right, you might ought to see if trifecta can adjust any of the shift points with a standard tune good enough to make it less noticeable.

either way, hope you enjoy the car and please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
The solstice auto is controlled by its own single board computer. The Transmission Comtrol Module uses data to manage shift points, shift quality, pressures etc. it receives data from the ECM and the BCM as inputs. The days of vacuum hoses is long gone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok the dealer checked the cam position actuator valves and they said they're fine. Clean or whatever.... They did replace my air compressor because it makes a noise. After driving the car home it still makes a noise. When I accelerate it gets louder. The dealer said the engine is mechanically sound and nothing can be found. He says the compressor was causing the jerking. I doubt this. P

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
A 10 MM wrench isn't too tough.
Of course, if you would take the time and effort to fill out your profile to let folks know where you are at, perhaps someone next door could help?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try cleaning the mass air flow censor with mass air flow sensor cleaner. Although mine is a manual shift it jerked on slower take offs and when slowing down.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah CASH. You can do it. It is really easy and each piece sits in the top of the motor (towards front for one and towards back for the other). Look up the thread. It is so EZ a caveman could do it.

Solo Dio
08 Solstice GXP Brazen / Inferno Orange

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
I am not sure I have the skill to do it myself

If you do not feel confident or comfortable doing it yourself than buy the parts and ask a mechanic to install them for you. No garage/dealership will refuse money regardless if they think the parts are needed or not.

If you do not want to reveal your location, then simply go into the Club, Events & Regional Discussion sub forum, locate the region your state is located in and post a thread asking for help on installing parts. The worst that can happen is no one will respond. If someone does respond you can private message for further anonymity.

The only people who will know where you live and what you do minute to minute is the government, insurance companies, credit companies, charity organizations, friends & families (and exes), and the Jehovah's Witnesses.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts