Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I read that some car covers have warnings on them not to use them on freshly painted cars. I purchased a cheap one, that fits loosely on the car. It's basically made for a Miata-size car (don't go there!). Should I NOT use it at this time? What will happen to the paint?? :willy:

Thanks....Marty

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Did you get the Costco $37 special? That's what I did as all I need is a dust cover. I just let it hang loose & is shouldn't hurt the paint. I think they are talking about the tight fitting covers that might dull the clearcoat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I personnally got in touch with CoverCraft and discussed the form fitted type covers ect. They told me that there should be no concern, because the paint systems at the factory cure the paint ect. much quicker than in years past. You should not worry about any of their covers. The only time you should wait is on a re-paint per them.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yes, they are speaking of repaints, not factory paint.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cover or Not to Cover

Guys,

Thanks for all your emails. I am not sure what the brand of the cover is, but I purchased it at my local Advance Auto shop. I think I paid about $29 and it is blue. Covers the entire car and hangs loosely. Why pay $XXX for a cover when the car sits in the garage??? I know that it's cool, but I have enough expensive covers for the other cars...

I believe that the box said not to cover it over a 'repainted' car. I thought that a new car might have the same warning but the box didn't address new cars. I guess there is a difference.

Thanks, once again to all my Sol Brothers.....

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Inside the garage you should be fine, you don't want a lose cover flaping around in the breeze. It will eat the paint. If you are going to use a cover outside you need a fitted and lined cover.

Spend the extra bucks it's cheaper than a paint job.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Solstice62 said:
I believe that the box said not to cover it over a 'repainted' car. I thought that a new car might have the same warning but the box didn't address new cars. I guess there is a difference.
Yes, there is a difference. Cars painted at the factory have a much faster cure rate because of the process used (equipment that is much superior to even the best custom paint shop). An after market paint can take as long as 6 months to cure if it hasn't been hastened by a "baking" process of some sort. If a car has after market paint, and it was done at least 12 months prior, you can use a car cover. And if it its outside, it should be lined and snug fitting, otherwise it will wear on the paint as Critterman mentioned.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought a $20 COTTEN cover that works fine for keeping the dust off during storage in the garage.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
tugmate said:
So does anyone know when GM is coming out with one? Will it be embroidered?
We saw some Pontiac car covers at the HH event. They look nice. The word "Solstice" on the nose of the cover with the Pontiac emblem underneath. I think they will be available around January.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What type of cover for outside winter weather?

I know it's a sin to park a Solstice outside during a Michigan winter, but it's either that or not getting one at all. I'm sure you all can see how it's the lesser of two evils.

Any suggestions on which type/brand of cover I should purchase? My Solstice will be parked outside, but in a "covered spot" most of the time. Covered means I have a roof to stop anything falling straight down, nothing to stop the wind or blowing snow. I'd like to have one that I can fit in the trunk and would be able to put on at work if it looks like snow is on the way.

Please help me protect my Solstice!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
just purchased one from kappashpere

Initially purchased the Evoulution cover for $144.13
http://www.kappasphere.com/handler.cfm?cat_id=20103&cat_id=20143&prod_id=1153&function=product

Then talked to Neil over a Kappasphere and he said it a very GOOD cover with the highest UV rating, however it is a little on the thick side.
It will require some special folding to get in in the trunk.

He suggested the weathershield cover
http://www.kappasphere.com/handler.cfm?cat_id=20103&cat_id=20143&prod_id=1150&function=product

Best all around cover, for sun, rain. Will dry quickly and it will fit into the trunk very easily..

I want UV protection for the hot NY summers and also a winter garage dust cover. Its $250 but its worth it, I hope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Snow protection?

first 1k said:
Best all around cover, for sun, rain. Will dry quickly and it will fit into the trunk very easily..

I want UV protection for the hot NY summers and also a winter garage dust cover. Its $250 but its worth it, I hope.
Will this cover protect against snow?

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
GIJoe708 said:
Will this cover protect against snow?
I exchanged emails with Neil two days ago regarding these two covers. I told him I wanted one that would withstand the elements of CT’s winters – rain, sleet and snow. He checked with the manufacturer rep to see which of the two covers were better suited for these conditions. The rep said to go with the WeatherShield.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Car Cover

My Sol is stored in the garage. Just got the basic Budge Cover #2 at Walmart today for $19.95. It fits very well. The #1 was too tight to my liking. It's a much better cover than the one I had for my Formula Fiero.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
tugmate said:
So does anyone know when GM is coming out with one? Will it be embroidered?
THERE IS ONE ON EBAY RIGHT NOW, IT HAS THE SOLSTICE EMBLEM ON THE FRONT.LAST TIME I WAS AT PONTIAC DEALER THEY WERNT AVAILABLE YET

·
Registered
213 Posts
PubliusE said:
I exchanged emails with Neil two days ago regarding these two covers. I told him I wanted one that would withstand the elements of CT’s winters – rain, sleet and snow. He checked with the manufacturer rep to see which of the two covers were better suited for these conditions. The rep said to go with the WeatherShield.
How do I get in touch with Neil to see if the Heavy Duty WeatherShield will fit in the trunk the same as the regular WeatherShield?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts