Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Gravana wants to know which Car Cover Style You Want?

• Outdoor Weather-Resistant Style

Votes: 69 46.0%
  • Indoor Dust-Cover Style

Votes: 81 54.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gravana is preparing to start selling custom-fit car covers and we have one primary question. Which type of Car Cover are you most interested in?

Outdoor Weather-Resistant Style
Indoor Dustcover Style

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The dust cover style is nice if you have the luxury of never having to park the car outside of your own garage.

Unfortunately, I think both types of car covers will be large enough that they won't fit into the available trunk space.

For your weather resistant version, try to keep the thickness minimized so that it can be rolled up tight enough to fit under the Tonneau cover with the top down.

Along the same lines, the best car cover I ever had had large (4" by 10") weights in the center, and a light weight chain inside a vinyl sewn gauntlet or tube on which you could place a small combo lock on the driver's side. The weights were about 1 to 2 lbs each, sewn vertically into the center of the sides, and helped keep the center from lifting when the wind blew. Since they were below the curve of the doors, they didn't really put pressure on the skin of the vehicle. The chain in the vinyl tube was easy to toss under the vehicle from the passenger's side, and reach the driver's side. When locked, the weight of the chain pulled the sides in just a bit, so that it looked tucked in all the way around with the elastic on the front. It was not a weather proof cover, but could have been.

Good luck, and thanks for posting this survey.

·
5,600 Posts
Outdoor, weatherproof. Thank you thank you.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
The dust cover style is nice if you have the luxury of never having to park the car outside of your own garage.

Unfortunately, I think both types of car covers will be large enough that they won't fit into the available trunk space.

For your weather resistant version, try to keep the thickness minimized so that it can be rolled up tight enough to fit under the Tonneau cover with the top down.

Along the same lines, the best car cover I ever had had large (4" by 10") weights in the center, and a light weight chain inside a vinyl sewn gauntlet or tube on which you could place a small combo lock on the driver's side. The weights were about 1 to 2 lbs each, sewn vertically into the center of the sides, and helped keep the center from lifting when the wind blew. Since they were below the curve of the doors, they didn't really put pressure on the skin of the vehicle. The chain in the vinyl tube was easy to toss under the vehicle from the passenger's side, and reach the driver's side. When locked, the weight of the chain pulled the sides in just a bit, so that it looked tucked in all the way around with the elastic on the front. It was not a weather proof cover, but could have been.

Good luck, and thanks for posting this survey.
This is the type of cover I have purchased in the past, hope you can offer something similar, I also understand GM is offering one themselfs, but no description of it yet.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Which type of Car Cover are you most interested in?
Indoor Dustcover Style
Yes.

I didn't vote. I'll most likely have a cheap 'dust only' cover for in the garage - and wouldn't bother with the expense of a custom cover. If I did go for a 'weather proof' cover, than a custom fitted one would be the ticket.

·
Registered
278 Posts
well, sence i have no plans of ever parking it in a garage, i would have to say that a dust only cover would be completely useless to me. our garage is so full of crap that not even mom and dad park in the garage.

weatherproof outdoor cover please.

·
2,574 Posts
gravana1 said:
Gravana is preparing to start selling custom-fit car covers and we have one primary question. Which type of Car Cover are you most interested in?

Indoor Dustcover Style

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,
Does the weatherproof one have to be that costly that it would be prohibitive pricewise to serve as a dust cover as well or are there other issues?

·
Registered
21 Posts
dust cover

I would like to have one for inside the garage use only. Custom fitted and breathable......Solstice emblem.....customized with my vin if possible

·
Registered
504 Posts
Outdoor,have no garage,live in country,dust and birds are a reality. :cool:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I always wondered what people would think if they saw a car with a car cover just parked outside... I would think it would attract busy hands.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
birdliver said:
Jim,
Does the weatherproof one have to be that costly that it would be prohibitive pricewise to serve as a dust cover as well or are there other issues?
Not at all. I am simply collecting information for our manufacturing partner to ensure that the products they have in mind are aligned with your needs.

Jim

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
gravana1 said:
Not at all. I am simply collecting information for our manufacturing partner to ensure that the products they have in mind are aligned with your needs.

Jim
Looks like you'll be offering BOTH! :thumbs:

·
Registered
976 Posts
SolsticeWaiting said:
Looks like you'll be offering BOTH! :thumbs:
It's obvious the vote is even, and I am sure you were going to offer both anyways. I voted for outdoor, and I like the specialized idea with the VIN and a Sosltice logo. Or at least a First1000 logo.

Do you thing it's feasable to roll up the outdoor style and fit it under the tonneau?

·
Registered
417 Posts
how bout a practical tonneau cover too..... :cool:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sometimes, the cover is a deterrent

Fortimir said:
I always wondered what people would think if they saw a car with a car cover just parked outside... I would think it would attract busy hands.
Actually, quite the opposite.

Back in 1990, I went away for a week, and parked my Subaru with the locked cover on it in the LAX long term parking. While I was away, many of the cars around me had been smashed into. They left mine alone. They probably figured that it would have an alarm, or just didn't want to bother to try to pull up the cover and have to fight with the lock.

Now, over the years, it did accumulate two hack saw groves in the metal loops that held the lock, but the car was never molested while wearing the locked cover. My suspicion is that the crooks got tired of trying to cut the metal, or ran out of uninterrupted crime time.

Locks are to keep honest people honest. The stronger the lock, the less honest a person it will keep honest, but no lock is undefeatable to the determined evil doer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Jim; It's been a pretty long time since I've owned a car cover. The last one I did own was supposed to be outdoor / weather resistant, but was not water proof. How "weather resistant" are your covers? I found mine to be a real pain in the butt when it did get wet because what the heck do you do with a wet car cover when it is taken off the car? What is the "state of the art" for car cover fabrics these days? I also found that covering even a slightly dirty car on a windy day can cause paint abrasions. No much you can do about that, but would be interested in your reply. Thanks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'll moving out in the Spring into an apartment without a garage so an outdoor car cover would be great.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts