Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we had a thread a long, long time ago but we should probably start one to share car care and detailing ideas. Probably big enough topic for a whole forum :)

I'm spending time now researching this whole world since I know very little and want to do it right for my Solstice (especially since it will be black). It's like another world, all the products...my head is spinning but I'm still trying to digest some of it. Paint swirls, dual action orbital buffers, polish, special towels.... :willy:

So far I found 2 web-sites that seem to have tons of info...
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
mceb, a car care section would make a good addition, IMHO.

Did you download the autopia detailing guide from their site?
There is a lot of good stuff in it. :)

My technique is not polished yet.(pun :jester: )
I keep putting little scratches in the finish on my cars...
And that's by hand. Heaven help me if I ever pick up any power tools... :leaving:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for reminding me...I downloaded that but never pulled it out of my downloads file.

So I've decided to invest in the Porter Cable 7424 orbital polisher. It seems the hands down choice of all websites and is idiot proof.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

I'm still wading through the pros and cons of different waxes, polishes etc. I don't think I can commit the time to carnauba since they say it only lasts 3 months maximum (but does provide the best look).

·
4,592 Posts
The MSM forum has a seperate top level thread for this stuff:

http://mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php?board=12.0

so does miata.net

zaino gets rave reviews.

there's alot that use leaf blowers to dry.

Swiffers to wipe the dash is a great idea which I've done for years (just keep a couple in the car, and when the wife goes in to get some goodies from the store, give it a quick wipe).

Tough job keeping black looking good. i just sold a black honda civic last year I'll never do black again, PITA :brentil: !!!! But nice looking if you don't mind.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RODEO said:
Tough job keeping black looking good. i just sold a black honda civic last year I'll never do black again, PITA :brentil: !!!! But nice looking if you don't mind.
Yea, that's the part that has me reading up on this stuff. Never owned a black car before and want to know how bad it will be.

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
Yea, that's the part that has me reading up on this stuff. Never owned a black car before and want to know how bad it will be.
yea, don't mean to be a PITA myself, but I'd really think twice about a black car. They look great, but require an extraordinary amount of effort, and even then they only look good part of the time. I was eyeing a new black 350Z the other day, it was spotless, looked like it came right off the lot. When I looked close, there was that layer of dust that would never show on any other paint.

It's really a matter of what kinda person you are. If you don't mind almost daily maitenance of the exterior, it will look great, but if you will tire of the daily maitenance, think twice. If you're the earlier kind of the two, you'll have one of the best looking Sols out there. Me, I always tire of the daily cleaning routine. White is best, silvers not bad, black - might as well get a gun and shoot myself :lol: :brentil:

just 2 cents of idiotic wisdom

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My '99 GTP was black. It never looked better than right after I got done going over it with a clay bar and then zaino-ing it for the first time. Zaino is incredible stuff!

My GTP never looked worse than when I picked it up from the docks upon moving to Hawaii (shipped it there from Baltimore). I never did get the water spots out, and to add insult to injury, the house I lived in there had hard water. I never did get the car looking quite up to snuff again. I suppose I could have hit it with some compound and a power buffer, or even wet-sanded it, but I never found the time or energy.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rodeo. Probably the only reason I'm considering black is mine is not a daily driver so I'm thinking I have half a chance to keep up with it that way.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Just a suggestion, if you go with black and it's not a daily driver, get a car cover. I've got a black Boat tail Riviera that I only drive once in a while. Even in the garage it gets dusty. I've even gone so far as to try useing a leaf blower to blow the dust off 'cuz rinseing it off is really a pain (water spots). I just havn't gotten around to getting a car cover but I plan on getting one soon.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Couple of tricks I have used in the past to keep my rides looking great. First, wash from the bottom up. This will reduce soap streaks although it seems just the opposite. (Learned by reading an artiicle about UPS trucks)If you are not going to chamois or silicone wipe dry or use the Mr. Clean water filter for rinsing, then here are a couple of hints. Low pressure to flood the car and final rinse from top down with hose at low angle. You'll be amazed at how the water will sheet off and reduce water spots. An old-timer once had me adding kerosene to the rinse water and he actually used it in his wash water as well but environmentally we know we can't do that anymore. If you have a choice of waters, soft is the choice. I would be leary of a leaf blower since you are not filtering the air that goes through it and it is at a higher velocity than what you will be driving at. It could be okay for the wheel wells and under the chassis.

Even with clear coat you need a top finish. No matter what wx you use, or even if you don't top off with a wax - start with a polishing glaze like Astro-Shield. Apply it with your BARE HAND. This stuff is amazing and you can do the whole car before wiping off. Instead of wiping in a circular motion try wiping the glaze off longitudinally, from front to back or back to front, then final rub in circles. You can protect the polished finish with any good wax but isn't 100% necessary if you apply 2 coats polish and then freshen it up every few months.

I'm not sure if clear coat is soft for a few months like other paints but if it is and you get 1/1000 then the paint won't have had long to cure. In this scenario you would want to avoid polishes/cleaners/waxes for the first 30 days and would want the dealer prep individual to only wash your car.

After it starts to look a little dingy: Those evaporative tire cleaners not only celan and darken up the tires they also protect from ozone. It also works well on wheel wells and under the hood if you are careful. I've seen the dealer personnel work majic under the hood simply with a can of gloss black paint. You would think that 60000 mile trade-in spent all its time in a heated garage.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
achieftain said:
After it starts to look a little dingy: Those evaporative tire cleaners not only celan and darken up the tires they also protect from ozone. It also works well on wheel wells and under the hood if you are careful. I've seen the dealer personnel work majic under the hood simply with a can of gloss black paint. You would think that 60000 mile trade-in spent all its time in a heated garage.
OK, the secret my Two Minute Engine Detailing has been disclosed. With all the plastic bits, hoses and wire bundles they put on cars nowadays, I just spray a bunch of one step tire cleaner (high gloss) on everything and walk away. Check on it a few minutes later to touch up the bits I missed and wipe up any puddles. If you do this while your changeing the oil, alot of times the under hood area looks better than the outside of the car! Had a mechanic say once when I raised the hood, "Wow! That's a surprise!"

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...car care forum???

Ok, I was looking for the thread or forum by that turbomagnet guy, for tips re claybarring, polishing, etc. I thot I read that there was going to be separate forum for that. Now that we are getting more Sols delivered wouldn't it be good to have a couple of forums for car care, maintainance, etc. specifically? Seaching threads and reading each post for info is a slow way to do a major topic.
Thanks for your consideration.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RichSol said:
Ok, I was looking for the thread or forum by that turbomagnet guy, for tips re claybarring, polishing, etc. I thot I read that there was going to be separate forum for that. Now that we are getting more Sols delivered wouldn't it be good to have a couple of forums for car care, maintainance, etc. specifically? Seaching threads and reading each post for info is a slow way to do a major topic.
Thanks for your consideration.
Coming soon...Troy just mentioned it the other day. We'll gather up many of the car cleaning posts to seed it when it happens.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
We have one of those MR. clean jet dry's, if you need to wash your car fast and no time to wipe it, these jet dry's work well, doesn't leave any water marks when it dries, it has a filter for the water rinse.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...me too

deluke said:
We have one of those MR. clean jet dry's, if you need to wash your car fast and no time to wipe it, these jet dry's work well, doesn't leave any water marks when it dries, it has a filter for the water rinse.
Actually, that's what I'm using right now. It does a decent job, but I want to do the clay bar and everything and get that car show shine while it's still new. I am trying to decide which products to send for. It's more confusing than ordering options on the Sol was. lol

·
Registered
854 Posts
RichSol said:
Actually, that's what I'm using right now. It does a decent job, but I want to do the clay bar and everything and get that car show shine while it's still new. I am trying to decide which products to send for. It's more confusing than ordering options on the Sol was. lol
I can pee stronger than that device. Hopefully the redesigned model is stronger.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...check your hose

TOY4TWO said:
I can pee stronger than that device. Hopefully the redesigned model is stronger.
You must have bad water pressure then. I have to turn mine down because it comes out so strong.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts