Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm trying to troubleshoot why my car is having various electrical issues. Last week, I replaced the head gasket and did not touch the electronics. Now the car is not even attempting to crank, and I'm met with the security lock symbol. I have already replaced the battery and ECM, and triple checked all of the wiring harness connections.

The DIC is not getting any data, and the radio is not turning off with the door. Another odd thing is that the OBD2 port has power but my code scanner just displays "no link". I have searched the forums for the past two days, which lead me to replace the battery, ECM, and check the grounds and fuses, all to no avail. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated because I am clueless.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Did you have the ECM programmed to your vin ? Also 06 & 07 cars are ECM specific in other words a 2008 and up will not work

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
can you short the starter, and will it turn over?

Did you remove the hood, if so did you connect the headlight ground wires. We spent three days with very similar symptoms. Car would not turn over, but starter would turn when jumped, but car would not start. As crazy as it sounds, attached the ground wires for the head lights and started instantly. These things are very ground specific. Be sure all are connected properly.

Hope this is the answer. I know it drove me about nuts on the Mallett. A very good mechanic shook his head many times and we replaced a lot of stuff, that did not need replacing. All for a ground wire.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha, traced the ground wire on the battery and found a 3rd passenger side ground that I missed. I have other problems but now that I can crank it, I can figure it out from here. Thanks y'all.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Glad you found it.

For future reference: if you can't get data over OBD, then either the ECM or BCM aren't grounded properly, or aren't talking to each other. There's a big (4" x 2"-ish) engine camlock-type harness connector forward of and below the engine bay fuse box. I spent a week figuring out that it wasn't as snug as it should be, which prevented starting. I also had issue due to improperly-seated harness widgets going into the bottom of the fuse box.

HP Tuners is a great thing to have - you can see the start command, clutch switch (has to be down to start), etc., among other things.

Props for sticking with this - I know it's been a ton of work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are still having issues connecting the to the ECM, this post may help you, it was suggested to me just recently on these forums:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts