Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Nice, that's GM's way of getting around that European law :thumbs

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am happy to see another nice roadster coming out, and saturn really needs an excitement car. However, do we have any guesses as to its price? and if it is in the 20 to 30 range do you think the market can sustain 3 closely priced roadsters (miata, solstice, and saturn).

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
tcl said:
I wonder if it will have plastic side panels like the original Saturns. Best dent protection I've ever seen.
Real cars are made of metal :jester

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Brian said:
I am happy to see another nice roadster coming out, and saturn really needs an excitement car. However, do we have any guesses as to its price? and if it is in the 20 to 30 range do you think the market can sustain 3 closely priced roadsters (miata, solstice, and saturn).
Things will be getting a bit crowded in the 20-30 range, will be interesting to see how they position the Saturn. A guess might be 30k because of the agressive styling could go after 350-Z but people might find it hard to plunk down 30k on a Saturn?

·
Registered
284 Posts
solsticeman said:
Vette's aren't real cars??

·
Registered
533 Posts
solsticeman said:
True, and the paintless dent removal shops love that. If the kappa frame is as solid as it looks in the photos, I think they should keep the body panels as light as possible.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM has been telling people that Saturn is moving away from the dent resistant plastic panels. Since they found it more economical to use hyrdoformed steel panels on the Sosltice than to use Plastic (it was considered) I would assume the same will apply to the Lightning. Its too bad too. Those plastic body panels sure are nice to keep a car looking good and be able to leave it in a parking lot.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
Nice dent resistance for plastic, and that's cool, except for the body gaps so big you can throw a cat through them - in the winter. They tend to disappear in the summer.
No problem! In the winter I can just pack those big body gaps with snow and make them disappear! :glol

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Doesn't the snow out there make gaps in steel fenders too? Just in the middle instead of the edges. Big brown ones if I recall correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Since galvanized steel panels (pretty much standard on GM vehicles since mid-90's), I have not seen rust on my cars. Had an early 90's Beretta - rust along rockers, leading edge of hood, etc.

1996 Cavalier: 150,000 miles+, still running today, not a spot of rust. It's funny, I was just joking with a friend of mine that owns an SL2. He has two noticeable spots of rust, one in the middle of the hood, one (of all places) in the middle of the roof. Plastic is rust free - but only where it's used!!! :glol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
Doesn't the snow out there make gaps in steel fenders too? Just in the middle instead of the edges. Big brown ones if I recall correctly.
Its that pesky road salt that causes the big brown holes! Actually, you don't see many cars with major rust problems anymore. The manufacturers have come a long way in rustproofing technologies and methods, and its common to see older cars now with no rust, or maybe some minor surface rust showing under trim pieces or around wheel wells. But nothing like the big holes, and rotted away rocker panels, fenders, trunk lids, etc that used to litter the roads!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been reading for a while and decided to register.

I am waiting for this car and hopefully the car looks very close to the concept. I saw this car at the Detroit Auto Show and just few in love with the looks and when this news was released I was extremely excited.

Just need to wait until Jan '05 to see how close the production Saturn will resemble the VX Lightning.

·
Registered
151 Posts
this is going to make it a tough choice between the saturn and the solstice, i love the lightning, and it would make a good stable mate for my Redline!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
csjrishere said:
Been reading for a while and decided to register.

I am waiting for this car and hopefully the car looks very close to the concept. I saw this car at the Detroit Auto Show and just few in love with the looks and when this news was released I was extremely excited.

Just need to wait until Jan '05 to see how close the production Saturn will resemble the VX Lightning.
Welcome to the forum! It definately will be interesting to see the final look of the Saturn version. If its priced closely to the Solstice and keeps the good, agressive looks, it will make for a very difficult choice indeed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts