Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forms. I bought a 2006 manual Solstice a few months ago. I have been using it to get too and from work, and notice that it is very jerky in 1st and 2nd gear. When applying gas it jerks forward and when I take my foot off the gas it jerks as well. Has anyone had these problems?

The solstice has a aftermarket Turbo kit, racing clutch, and some other stuff. Not sure how much that changes things.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
756 Posts
It's a very clunky transmission that's for sure, one designed for trucks. Took me a while to get used to when I first got mine (and a few trips to the dealer only to have the sales guy telling me "you don't know how to drive a manual"). For you I think the racing clutch may play a factor as well.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
No "fluid" leaks? No darker fluid on the ground? The reason that I ask is that the motor mounts are fluid filled mounts....you may have to replace them. With all that power you could need new ones, I'm not certain if the 2.4L are different from the 2.0L. I know for sure that the 2.0L are fluid filled. You need to get underneath and look for cracking or fluid marks...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, yeah it is pretty clunky. I have noticed some dark oil, but I thought it was from another car of ours. We had a Elantra that leaked oil very badly... I'll go get it looked at though, thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try cleaning the mass air flow sensor with mass air flow cleaner. I have an 06 the is very sensitive to this jery feeling. It may feel like the the engine has a miss when taking off fairly slow in 1st and 2nd gear, but it is actually the mas air flow sensor giving erratic readings causing the fuel injectors to keep changing the amount of gas injected into the engine thus giving a feeling of a miss or jerky feeling. I found the dealer installed the air cleaner incorrectly and had pinched the gasket on the air cleaner causing air to pass around the filter causing the sensor the get dirty. This has been a constant problem.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You might want to check the bolts that attach the impeller shaft to the diff; there have been reports of them being loose, and that can cause an extra amount of play in the driveline.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I took my car to the shop to get the mounts checked out and the mechanic said they are good (only one inch give). But my rear main seal was leaking very badly and oil was getting on my starter. So I got that fixed, but it's still very clunky... I cleaned the mass airflow sensor. Its really just in traffic, when bellow 20 mph. If I were to accelerate fast, there are no problems. it seems the car always wants to go faster... It's happy as long as the revs are continually rising lol I'll get the bolts looked at for the impeller shaft/diff. Its always funny taking my car to the mechanics because they can hardly drive it with the racing clutch.

·
Registered
756 Posts
So I took my car to the shop to get the mounts checked out and the mechanic said they are good (only one inch give). But my rear main seal was leaking very badly and oil was getting on my starter. So I got that fixed, but it's still very clunky... I cleaned the mass airflow sensor. Its really just in traffic, when bellow 20 mph. If I were to accelerate fast, there are no problems. it seems the car always wants to go faster... It's happy as long as the revs are continually rising lol I'll get the bolts looked at for the impeller shaft/diff. Its always funny taking my car to the mechanics because they can hardly drive it with the racing clutch.
Rear main seal? You mean the diff?

You should check if your car has done the recall, there's one on that.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
If oil was getting on the starter as a result, it's PROBABLY not the rear diff...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rear main seal goes around the crank shaft, and holds/stabilizes the crankshaft. It was leaking engine oil, the mechanic showed me. In order to get it replaced, the whole transmission had to come out, so all that stuff including the clutch was checked out. I was told the clutch is like brand new. Im not sure if this job involved taking off the Diff or not. The car has a upgraded suspension, would that include an upgraded diff? I doubt the car has went through the diff recall.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Jhaar - if you take your VIN to a dealer they can tell whether or not the diff recall was performed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Is it surprising with a significantly modified car and racing clutch that it would be not smooth in the first couple of gears? More the norm than the exception imo.

Could tune the car again. May help. A less aggressive clutch may help if it is rough when using it.

Check U joints and driveshaft for play.

Sounds like you are getting it checked out. GL.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If oil was getting on the starter as a result, it's PROBABLY not the rear diff...
Yeah I just realized that... Sorry went full retard there... :cryin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to take it to the shop today and get a list of things checked. The smoothness is inconsistent. Some days I can be in 2nd gear and rev the car up to 3000 and then take my foot off the gas and it keeps going smoothly but other days Ill do the same thing and as soon as I take my foot off the gas the car slows down abruptly.

Kwtoxman, your right it does make sense that the car should handle this way under so many modifications. The thing that concerns me is the inconsistency.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts