Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing the stock head unit with a Windows PC (like an Intel NuC or similar), and I'm looking at display options.

I've seen a few 7" capacitive screens like the Raspberry Pi displays. I haven't yet figured out a good mounting solution for a frameless display.

I thought about getting the stereo bezel from Crutchfield and getting creative hot glue or whatever. Or, it would be fine to mount the display in front of the stock head unit, maybe with some thin tabs going back between the head unit and the boomerang.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to find a double DIN cage and a display that's designed to attach to it.

Has anyone here done this before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kenwood double din touchscreen

I'm considering replacing the stock head unit with a Windows PC (like an Intel NuC or similar), and I'm looking at display options.

I've seen a few 7" capacitive screens like the Raspberry Pi displays. I haven't yet figured out a good mounting solution for a frameless display.

I thought about getting the stereo bezel from Crutchfield and getting creative hot glue or whatever. Or, it would be fine to mount the display in front of the stock head unit, maybe with some thin tabs going back between the head unit and the boomerang.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to find a double DIN cage and a display that's designed to attach to it.

Has anyone here done this before?
I havent done it myself as i am not one with electronics.. but after my radio went out and i didnt fix it for 4 months i decided id use that tax refund to get a new radio installed. Got a double din touchscreen kenwood for only $250. On top of that were quite a few adapters as well as a mounting cage and stuff to keep all functionality in the steering wheel and for the different types of radio signals like sirius vs am vs fm but including install and everything only put me 700 out of pocket. I have all the packaging from what was used for the adapters, cage, radio, etc if youd like to see. also have pictures of the finished product! If someone wants to check it out ill post pics.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
When I first read that you wanted a Windows PC I thought, Raygun must of had an "autocorrect" moment sabotage his post. Then I continued reading and thought, holy cow he's being serious! I had to Google what I NuC was, cool stuff!!!

I've never seen it done but I have no doubt someone's done it before - I'm just sure you'd be the first in a Kappa car!

I love following your work, share with us your journey!!

PS - with the top down on a sunny day you'll have next to ZERO visibility; at least that's been my experience with the two flat screen head units that I've installed!

·
Super Moderator
5,824 Posts
........ PS - with the top down on a sunny day you'll have next to ZERO visibility; at least that's been my experience with the two flat screen head units that I've installed!
Have you put a matte screen protector on either of them? A friend put one on the Android in his convertible and said that it helped a lot. I have one for mine and am hoping for the best. I am also considering a removable sun visor.

Actually, as bad as the stock Sky radio is - with red plasma - I can't imagine it will be any worse.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
........ PS - with the top down on a sunny day you'll have next to ZERO visibility; at least that's been my experience with the two flat screen head units that I've installed!
Have you put a matte screen protector on either of them? A friend put one on the Android in his convertible and said that it helped a lot. I have one for mine and am hoping for the best. I am also considering a removable sun visor.

Actually, as bad as the stock Sky radio is - with red plasma - I can't imagine it will be any worse.
No, Ive never tried a matte screen protector nor have I ever researched one either? The first JVC I installed in my old red car worked so well that I decided to buy another for the Cool car (especially since it was on sale the second time). You can see them in my Garage and they seem to have a matte finish - definitely not a shiny screen. I bet anything would help my situation. On the other end of the spectrum it seems like a crazy bright screen would help too.

Since the screen is pretty much impossible to see during a sunny day with the top down it's important to get a model and memorize where to touch the screen to adjust the volume - a rotary knob would be great; or just use the steering wheel volume controls.
@raygun What sort of applications are you wanting to run on the PC? I know you're a racer so there's probably things I've never thought of that are out there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just ordered a 7" pioneer double din unit from Crutchfield with a motorized display- I am hoping this will work as I wil be able to change the angle of the screen.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Since the screen is pretty much impossible to see during a sunny day with the top down it's important to get a model and memorize where to touch the screen to adjust the volume - a rotary knob would be great; or just use the steering wheel volume controls.
With the JVC in my truck, all I have to do is draw circles on the screen with my fingertip to control the volume. Clockwise = volume up, counterclockwise = volume down. It's pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Saveaux This is mostly for track events. I'd like to be able to run my telemetry package and some other things on the PC. Some of the applications I have in mind are available for Android, but I'm not crazy about the performance.

It would also be nice for navigation and diagnostics, among other things.

And, it would be cool. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts